UKC Forums
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- torn ACL (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928524298)

Posted by drake regan on 11-17-2019 01:33 PM:

torn ACL

Anyone have any experience treating a dog with a torn ACL. Any help would be appreciated

Posted by Albert Fulton on 11-17-2019 06:05 PM:

Long recovery.A fishing line is surgically installed. Dog spends long while in a box sedated. After that you have to slowly bring the dog to running shape. If you go to fast ,the dog will tear that other ACL , because he is favoring the bad leg. It has been 10 yr since I took care of one. So maybe their is something new. Their was a choice of going to a orthopedic greyhound surgeon, is was more money than I could afford.

Posted by Sawyer Hortin on 11-17-2019 06:09 PM:

Yes, vet fixed it and he only was loose in the yard a hour a day for several month's. Healed up fine

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 11-18-2019 07:59 PM:

Father N law bird dog just tore his. And he young enough they was goin try let it heal with rehab. But I know he said if had have surgery it was goin be around $2500 and then wasnt a guarantee it would hold up.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Corey Gruver on 11-18-2019 08:08 PM:

I had a GRNITECH dog one time that tore his going into the Semi-Finals a few years back. I elected to not have surgery performed on his ACL because the success rate wasn't very high (and it was expensive).

I laid him up for three months and then slowly started taking him to the woods again, never seemed to give him anymore problems after that.

Posted by drake regan on 11-18-2019 11:21 PM:

Thank you to everyone who has helped.

Posted by Mark Zepp on 11-20-2019 10:22 PM:

We had it done in Tucson, when we lived in the desert country, by a vet out there....both rear ACL's at about $3K per side on my wife's Golden Retriever.

The vet out there flew around the country teaching other vets this procedure...it involved some screws and cutting, but he was BETTER than new when he heeled up and that was pretty quick. I was EXTREMELY skeptical going into it and thought we'd have to put him down the day we went in but after talking to him we had it done. I thought it was arthritis and he was so bad he could hardly get around.

It was high dollar stuff and he was a hard going, hard charger but as I said, he was better than new once it was done.

Cancer got him several years later.

I shot multiple cover photos of him, great video footage and took him to trade shows, all of which led to a pay raise. If I ever owed it to a dog, I figured he earned it and it made my wife happy.