UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 29 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Dog won't go ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928498758)

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-21-2018 07:25 PM:

Dog won't go ?

How to make a dog go hunt ?? He will run a turn loose and tree it fast as a race horse but take him to the woods and he won't go stands around at you feet all night ...

Posted by DMW on 01-21-2018 08:02 PM:

How old is the dog? How much or .any times have you done the caged coon thing?

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Posted by hillbilly56 on 01-21-2018 08:04 PM:

i would take it out and sit down pay no atteion to the dog at all see if he r she get's bored and starts going out or see if it will go with another dog either way i wouldn't waste alot of time on it if it don't show some progrees you say it will tree a turn loose coon you can mess a young dog up by showin it to many turn loose coons hope you the best getting it going

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-21-2018 08:11 PM:

2yrs old....ive owned him for a week ...so not sure of anything before then but I showed him one cage and turned it loose

Posted by CHEWBACH on 01-21-2018 08:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Big spike hamme
2yrs old....ive owned him for a week ...so not sure of anything before then but I showed him one cage and turned it loose
yep !! keep at it that will get him going !! lol

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-21-2018 08:51 PM:

I've also taking him hunting 3 nights !!! Don't be a smart$#@!!!

Posted by CHEWBACH on 01-21-2018 08:58 PM:

yep

more cage coon !! you!!! well sweet heart !!

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-21-2018 09:01 PM:

Wow chew

Already drunk at 3 in the afternoon lol...

Posted by hillbilly56 on 01-21-2018 09:01 PM:

i wouldn't spend to much time on a 2 yr old dog even if he wasn't messed with any should at least be going out for a bit but if he's not leaveing your feet id cut my losses and get something else jmo

Posted by hillbilly56 on 01-21-2018 09:03 PM:

Re: yep

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
more cage coon !! you!!! well sweet heart !!
you sorta got to look over chew & tar they like to stir the pot lol

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-21-2018 09:05 PM:

Doesn't bother me ...

To be honest it's guys like them is the reason I post for advice ...they have alot of knowledge just wish it didn't have to be filtered through lol....

Posted by Dave Richards on 01-21-2018 09:08 PM:

Dog

Hunt him with another dog that hunts good, some dogs just won't hunt by themselves. I own both kinds (hunt alone and need a buddy ) Start hunting him with a dog that hunts good. Dave

Posted by DMW on 01-21-2018 09:26 PM:

If he'll track and tree a coon when he's with you, just walk him, Walk steady, and pay him no attention until he trees. If it's in him, after he trees a couple, and he has coon on his mind, he'll go farther and farther.
My dog Ol' Cotton, he's 13 now but I got him at about 2, one of the best dogs I've ever had. He had been somewhat started. I had no other dog, same thing as you. I did put out a couple feeders to get him going, but don't over hunt them. each time start hunting farther and farther from them, don't over do it on the feeders.
If it's in him, it will come out.
Warning... Unfortunately alot of dogs are culls, if it's obvious he isn't going to do it, cull him and find another prospect.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Posted by Outback1 on 01-21-2018 11:21 PM:

Hunt him some more. You won't be out but a little time. The dog I'm hunting right now was so bad I had to drag her from under the truck one night! I was going to call her the next night. She must have read my mind ! When I turned her out that night she kicked dirt in my face to go hunting! She hasn't looked back. Something just kicked, good luck

Posted by Lipperman22 on 01-21-2018 11:51 PM:

The hunt is bred in them keep taking him he should start to go. If not try him with another dog. If not progressing after a month or so I’d move on to the next.

Posted by Autumn Clements on 01-22-2018 02:01 AM:

Will he go with another dog?

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-22-2018 02:02 AM:

Guy said he would...but then again said the reason he's not going solo is cause I showed him a coon ...so who knows ...liars everywhere in this business

Posted by Jason Baldwin on 01-22-2018 02:44 AM:

Mine wouldnt hunt far at first. Maybe 150 yards that was it. I just walked her through the woods and slowly over about a years time she became a deep hunting dog.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Posted by Wdb91 on 01-22-2018 03:33 AM:

Get you a puppy and start it the right way,dont buy a 2 year old dog that’s not been messed with...if someone is selling a 2 year old there is a reason for it...cull that thing and start over with a fresh pup.

Posted by fox_91 on 01-22-2018 01:51 PM:

You can make one go hide, can't make one gonhunt

Posted by Vic Stoll on 01-22-2018 06:12 PM:

quote:

I'm no expert by any means, & pretty much a joke for a coonhunter any more. One thing I will share with you that was shared with me by other folks smarter than myself ..... Dogs are not machines! Every dog is different, & when you pluck a dog out of the familiar environment it is used to & dump it into an unfamiliar environment, you are not going to see the same dog performance as when/where it came from. There WILL BE AN ADJUSTMENT PERIOD NEEDED! Some dogs adjust very quickly, some take several weeks, some may take a month or two, some may never adjust. I'm sure you've been told or already know, if any way possible, hunt with the dog before you buy/accept. That way you are seeing first hand how that dog performs with an owner & an environment it is familiar with.

I'm in no way saying that you were or were not deceived about the dog, but I sure wouldn't pass final judgment after only one week either.

Best of luck to you!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Posted by critter on 01-22-2018 07:02 PM:

junk

From your posts obviously you havnt hunted a long time.Seems like you are always trying a new dog.Sounds like you are constantly getting other peoples junk.An old saying usually makes good sense(you get what you pay for)Next dog try it before you waste any time or money on it.

Posted by Autumn Clements on 01-23-2018 01:44 AM:

quote:
Guy said he would...but then again said the reason he's not going solo is cause I showed him a coon ...so who knows ...liars everywhere in this business

Do you have a dog to hunt it with?

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Posted by Big spike hamme on 01-23-2018 01:48 AM:

No I don't

Posted by jdgher on 01-23-2018 02:17 AM:

Sounds like.

Sounds like the previous owner might have walk hunted him, or hunted him with another dog too much. You can walk hunt him a little until he trees a couple for you, but I wouldn't do that more than a just a couple times.
You can fix the problem, it just takes time. Go to a big woods with plenty of coon, turn loose in the middle of it. Set down and wait him out, play games on your cell phone or something to pass the time. If you can drive to a good spot it's even better, relax in the truck. Lots of hard going dogs were once afraid of the dark. People don't tell that kind of stuff.
Is he wearing a shock collar? If so try loosening it up or taking it off. If an alpha, remove the prongs. Training collar mistakes can cause a dog to have fear of leaving you (I've done it). This is fixed the same way. Lots of boring time in the woods.
It usually takes lots and lots of nights in the woods to make a nice hound, to see what they are really made of, people don't talk about that much either.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie