UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 58 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Tick Disease Help (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928504745)

Posted by Preacher Tom on 05-25-2018 05:22 PM:

Tick Disease Help

My Dog just tested positive for Erlichia. Vet put him on Doxy. I know I saw on here about a shot to go along with the Doxy for best results. My Vet didn't seem to know anything about it. Any help would be appreciated. By the way this dog has had Simparica every month for at least the last year.

Posted by Roy Grant on 05-25-2018 05:40 PM:

My dog also tested positive, this I know for sure DO NOT hunt the dog while he is on doxy. He will always test positive the rest of his life. He will get hot and not perform as well in hot weather.

Posted by MR.RATMAN on 05-25-2018 06:08 PM:

Yes there is a shot given after being on Doxy for 2 weeks then the shot is given again after being on Doxy for a month. I don't remember the name of the shot. Be sure to keep hound on Doxy for 60 days. Dr Ahallada on this forum can give you the name of the shot.

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 05-25-2018 06:14 PM:

Imidocarb (imozol)

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by darton on 05-25-2018 06:23 PM:

ehrlichia

i had a nice female come down with Ehrlichia .I give her 30 days of Doxycline two different times over a 18 month period . I never got her over it .
Ole Hoss said he got his dog X Con over it by giving 30 days of doxy and a shot called Imozol . I ask my vet about the Imozol shot but he didnt no anything about it .
It depends on what phase the Ehrlichia is in when you discover it also.
You might Pm Ole Hoss and ask him for any Info about Erlichia.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 05-25-2018 06:36 PM:

Thanks for the replies. Imozol is what i was trying to remember. Have a call in to the vet now.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 05-25-2018 06:46 PM:

Cheyenne

Just talked to my vet and he doesn't want to give the Imizol because it is an off label use. Do you think I should look for
a vet that will give it?

Posted by Richard Lambert on 05-25-2018 07:02 PM:

Yes

Posted by jeremiah roller on 05-25-2018 07:24 PM:

Your wasting your time in most cases without the imozol shot as well as doxy for a full recovery!

Posted by Preacher Tom on 05-25-2018 07:45 PM:

Just having trouble finding a local vet who will give it.

Posted by BLAKE WHEELER on 05-25-2018 08:35 PM:

I have a female that has it, Doxy has never helper her I am planning on trying the shot and doxy combo in the next couple weeks. My buddy has a dog that also has it and he is a different dog since getting the imzol and doxy combo.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 05-25-2018 08:45 PM:

Doxy is the go to for most vets. Imizol is typically used to treat babesiosis it is not an antibiotic but many vets have found it to be beneficial in treating anaplasmosis in dogs along with the doxycycline though I do not believe it is labeled for it's use yet. As with any medication there can be side effects so all should be used with caution and monitored. As someone else mentioned Doc Allahada on here will have the most info on the imizol shot as part of treatment pros and cons.
A huge portion of hunting dogs exposed to ticks will test positive for various tick disease but especially ehrlichiosis. Most will show no symptoms of the disease and many who have went through treatment can relapse any time their immune system is compromised. Tick borne illineses like to hide and make treatment that actually eradicates the disease difficult. Keeping dogs healthy with a strong immune system is the best defense and a good preventative program of ticks.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Preacher Tom on 06-15-2018 06:58 PM:

Several have asked how my dog is doing. I have hunted him twice now since finishing Doxy treatment. Weather has been very hot but he hasn't shown any problem. May have problems later but right now he is back to form. Didn't realize how much I liked him until I had to try to tree coons without him.

Posted by ole hoss on 06-15-2018 07:06 PM:

If you don't ever listen to anything I say I'd suggest you listen to this. DO NOT waste your time with the doxycycline alone. I ran it through mine 2 different times and both times all it done was put a cover over it.
I gave mine the imozol shot along with 600 mg of doxycycline for 30 days. DO NOT hunt the dog during this time. Lay him up. Run the doxy and the 2 shots through him and don't worry about it again. X is still taking the heat very well. Last summer he couldn't take it at all. If I ever have another one get it I'll do the shot the first time. If your vet is against the shot I'd find one that ain't.

Posted by MR.RATMAN on 06-15-2018 07:50 PM:

BOTH ARE A MUST.

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-15-2018 08:26 PM:

Glad he is doing better Tom someday if you ever want him hunted in a hunt just call.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by Lynn Tubbs on 06-16-2018 01:57 PM:

How is young dog doing?

Posted by Preacher Tom on 06-16-2018 02:48 PM:

Lynn Tubbs, if your asking about the young female, she's doing real well. Treeing coon consistently and hard tree dog. Wether she'll make a coon dog or not remains to be seen but I like her.

Posted by Lynn Tubbs on 06-17-2018 02:05 AM:

Good to hear

Posted by Lynn Tubbs on 06-17-2018 02:05 AM:

Good to hear

Posted by driftwood22 on 06-18-2018 03:40 PM:

Question

I was reading thru this as I’m treating a dog with doxy now.
Just looking for opinions
Dog was treated last year for erlichia and lymes. Only treated with doxy for 30 days.
Here last month has not been operating as usual, lack of drive and ability to move track. Tested negative for erlichia but of coarse was positive for lymes antibody.
There was one level(I don’t have a clue as to what) that was on the low side of what they like to see according to vet though, said it wasn’t out of the range but for my piece of mind we put him on doxy for 30 days. Which he’s been on for about 3 weeks I have tried to hunt him in this time and seems to have gotten worse every night out.

When you guys are saying they can “relapse” do they test positive for erlichia again?

Or maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing all together

Posted by blue blue on 06-18-2018 05:12 PM:

It

Is my understanding if they tested positive once they will always test positive.

Posted by Preacher Tom on 06-18-2018 05:46 PM:

Well this is what's going on with my Preacher dog. After finishing the Doxy I hunted him twice and he was the good hound I was used to, treed coon with ease. Then last night I took him: Got on an old feeder track and worked it for 400 yds, located several times but never got treed, after an hour i toned him in and moved. Hit another poor track, located good and treed for about a minute then just quit. I walked in to him and he was just smelling around on the ground. Moved him and struck again, better track, ran it about 300 yds, then shut up, Garmin showed him making circles but never opened again. After a few minutes came in. This just isn't him. I will hunt him one more time to make sure but looks like I will be treating again and this time it will include the Imizol shots.

Posted by driftwood22 on 06-18-2018 06:44 PM:

Erlichia

So if a dog has erlichia they will always test positive? I knew this was the case with lymes but not erlichia as well!?

Posted by blue blue on 06-18-2018 07:22 PM:

Yes

Sir