UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 40 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Hunt numbers (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928505174)

Posted by Tom anderson on 06-07-2018 02:44 AM:

Hunt numbers

Hey I thought I would put this up to see what people thoughts are hear in Kansas the hunt numbers seem low is it cause dogs are finish or is it what happened at the world hunt last year people upset how it was handled how are they in your neck of the woods when you answer would you please put what state you are from so we can all see and maybe Allen can bring some light as a whole if numbers are up or down or the same thanks for reading and responding

Posted by yadkintar on 06-07-2018 02:51 AM:

No major hunts in Oklahoma to create interest. To far and expensive to the ones up north and the younger ones want to hunt for money titles mean nothing to them. To many 4 dog every night $$$$ hunts down here.

Jmo
Tar

Posted by lukeduke73 on 06-07-2018 03:10 AM:

I think they are having to many hunts within a 100 mile area the same night causes lower numbers in clubs

Rip GR NT CH GR CH SWEET DREAMS Made Dual Grand at 19m old placed 3rd at Walkerdays at 14 m
Flash!!!!!!Rider is at 4 on the current
reproducing list
6 Generation All Grand Gr.CH.Gr .NT. CH .Midnight Rider 7th overall at ky st youth hunt at 7 m old. Made nt ch at 9 months old
Ch. Nt.Ch.Midnight Lucy Lou off Rider xDr.Law female
Back n Black kennels where we breed dogs for the future and not living in the past.
1-606-474-0738
1-304-549-3735

Posted by tony.beals on 06-07-2018 03:20 AM:

Here in Michigan it is same, maybe to many hunts on same week ends and then the money hunts add to it a little. Also here in Michigan (JMO) I beleive we have a lot of bear hunters that are not comp hunters any more. There are a few, however back in the 70's and 80's the bear hunters did both, higher % did both. My club we run our money hunts during week and yes usually just 3 to 6, thou last night we had 11. They do not effect the week end hunts. we do put on a couple big money hunts towards fall but I don't believe it really effects the UKC hunts overall. I know some of us try not to schedule any thing major ($KC) while a big UKC hunt is going on.. This is JMO

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Posted by Rip on 06-07-2018 03:23 AM:

Re: Hunt numbers

quote:
Originally posted by Tom anderson
Hey I thought I would put this up to see what people thoughts are hear in Kansas the hunt numbers seem low is it cause dogs are finish or is it what happened at the world hunt last year people upset how it was handled how are they in your neck of the woods when you answer would you please put what state you are from so we can all see and maybe Allen can bring some light as a whole if numbers are up or down or the same thanks for reading and responding

I don't think it has anything to do with the World because most I know are glad the incident was investigated and the infraction punished.

It was refreshing because in years past when things happened the title was tainted but nothing was done about it for various reasons.

This time they removed the tarnish and the trophy is shiny and clean.

Tennessee

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-07-2018 03:31 AM:

There are still lots of coon hunters, more than people know about, some support clubs or KC's some do not for various reasons. The vast majority of coon hunters are still pleasure hunters first and foremost. Getting ready to load a couple of dogs and head out myself.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by joey on 06-07-2018 05:11 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
There are still lots of coon hunters, more than people know about, some support clubs or KC's some do not for various reasons. The vast majority of coon hunters are still pleasure hunters first and foremost. Getting ready to load a couple of dogs and head out myself.

x2

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by yadkintar on 06-07-2018 05:57 AM:

Just got in the house did a lot of walking that brings to mind that alone has put a lot of us old guys on the bench dog styles have changed. And us older guys remember the hype before a big hunt and there was some time between them where you could prepare your dog and your finances. The $$$ hunts the way they chop up your winnings you got to run hard to stay in and I can't afford the big ones and the little ones even if your winning your loosing money. Now I pleasure hunt in the summer come cool weather I will be craving the ukc hunts locally once in a while a $$$ one. I wish Sombody could figure it out but just not enough help to make it happen the paid handlers and the money men are the only ones that can run hard now jmo.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-07-2018 06:04 AM:

Hunt numbers

For me, I just don't have the desire to hunt competition hunts, small number of dogs hunting off buckets just isn't my cup of tea. I enjoyed the hunts of yesterday, when it meant something to win, and nobody hunted off buckets. Owning a grand night champion meant something and most of them were pretty good dogs. Now they are a dime a dozen and may be or may not be any good. We hunted the same dogs in the winter for fur and run the hunts in the off season. I personally don't see the hunts ever being large numbers again, as most of the hunts of yesterday consisted of the baby boomers and that age group [like me) are just not into competition hunting these days. I would rather pleasure hunt. Dave

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-07-2018 06:18 AM:

Numbers

I have to agree with Tar regarding the money hunts, you can't come out hunting the small hunts and the big hunts are for serious players. Me, I have never been in coonhunting for the money. Coon dogs and horses are my sport and you sure don't make money off of either, they are an expensive hobby. Coonhunting to me, is just a way to enjoy the outdoors and socialize with friends. Tar, hope you are enjoying retirement and hunting and fishing with friends, life is short. Tree all you want to and catch all you can clean. Lol. Dave

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 06-07-2018 01:25 PM:

Here nobody wants to hunt for a title that doesn't mean anything when they can hunt for $ that does. State race, nationals ticket, monthly truck races, etc.

Posted by MR.RATMAN on 06-07-2018 02:03 PM:

It's a simple problem that can be fixed if UKC listened to the hunters that stopped going to the UKC local hunters, but I don't think they care about it because they make the $$ from registrations on all dogs. Like Josh said people want something in return for their $ in return for a win besides a win slip, state race, and etc. The old coon hunters don't want change as well as the internet coon hunters.

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-07-2018 02:08 PM:

Lots of pleasure hunters like a dog that handles real well, Now I like to road/rig my dogs where I can , Cherokee, Spavinaw, Cookson, Honobia , Western Wall and some place in Arkansas , Western OK and Kansas etc.. it sure makes hunting fun.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by Jack Bingham on 06-07-2018 03:09 PM:

I see way to many hunts to close together. Last weekend there was an RQE in Troy, walker sectional in winterset, RQE in Auburn NE. and Missouri valley had a hunt. In May missouri valley had a qualifying mini slam same night as out RQE. Not counting all the money hunts.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 06-07-2018 03:21 PM:

Could it be?...that most folks get tired of the same combination of handlers or dogs or both that win almost every local hunts? ... This is not a sport that works on a " If you can't beat em join em" theory.

Posted by joey on 06-07-2018 03:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Could it be?...that most folks get tired of the same combination of handlers or dogs or both that win almost every local hunts? ... This is not a sport that works on a " If you can't beat em join em" theory.

You mean they get tired of loosing? Ya that has stopped a lot of people from coming but there really isn't a way to fix that.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by yadkintar on 06-07-2018 03:53 PM:

Just for y'all to think on :

Everybody likes to go to a well run hunt enter have a good time and go home. Our age group ( baby boomers ) have run these larger hunts as have the ones before us. I have just in the last year decided I want to in the time I have left to hunt just show up and hunt the younger folks I see are not stepping up taking our place they got all kinds of suggestions but absolutely will not run a club or accept the responsibilitys that go with it. Sombody has to get their hands dirty to make these hunts work and it's crapping hard work at times. And there is always Sombody that thinks you could have done it better.

Tar

Posted by Chuck Allen on 06-07-2018 04:03 PM:

I know a few years ago there was a buddy hunt/Big Coon contest, chili supper etc, benefit hunt for a young man hurt bad in a car accident was not even held at a club but at a community bldg. if memory serves me right there were about a 50-75 teams entered that night.

Posted by Donnie Stevens on 06-07-2018 04:50 PM:

I think in most places the hunters are still there. Maybe not as many but plenty. If there was a hunt every weekend or a couple a month within driving distance like there was 30 years ago you would get a lot more people in the same spot at once. Spread them out in10 places with hunts six nights a week and you're gonna see exactly what you got. Jmo

Posted by MR.RATMAN on 06-07-2018 04:57 PM:

So if all the people are going to week night hunts and winning $$$ and then not showing up for a weekend UKC hunt that should be an eye opener for UKC to jump on board.. this month in Iowa there isn't 1 UKC hunt within 2 hours of me and last month there was only 1 I'm not driving over 2 hours for a win slip..

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Posted by Ron Moore on 06-08-2018 01:48 PM:

Piece of paper??

I think the last post said it, "a piece of paper". Folks go to carnivals every fall and spend an enormous amount of money for enjoyment and a few worthless trinkets. So I don't think spending 3 to $5 more for a trophy is too much. I checked my state for this months UKC hunts and 14 out of 21 were poor boy hunts. I've gotten plenty of those dang dust collectors over the years and I don't care but some of these young kids running and showing likes to see a piece of hardware for their hard work. A piece of paper just doesn't do it in some cases. I know that most of us "older generation" doesn't care but the younger ones do and they're taking our place. I know when I was running the hunts back in the 70's & 80's that was really exciting to go up and get your trophy when they were handed out. That's just one thing that may change the numbers IMO. I don't run the hunts anymore but I did make 3 this year to show and spectate on one and all were poor boy. We have a young girl that hunts and shows with us now and I'm sure she would enjoy a piece of hardware once in a while, JMO.

Posted by T Felderman on 06-08-2018 02:21 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I think in most places the hunters are still there. Maybe not as many but plenty. If there was a hunt every weekend or a couple a month within driving distance like there was 30 years ago you would get a lot more people in the same spot at once. Spread them out in10 places with hunts six nights a week and you're gonna see exactly what you got. Jmo

There you have it and when there are only 2-3 casts it's easier to grand one out then done.

Posted by K. Singletary on 06-08-2018 02:39 PM:

It goes way beyond entries in coon hunts.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/5930...or-conservation

And let's not act like the money hunts aren't declining as well. The Jasper Jamboree here is SC use to hunt right at 100 dogs a night, now they hunt 65 or so.

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Posted by K. Singletary on 06-08-2018 02:43 PM:

Re: Piece of paper??

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
I think the last post said it, "a piece of paper". Folks go to carnivals every fall and spend an enormous amount of money for enjoyment and a few worthless trinkets. So I don't think spending 3 to $5 more for a trophy is too much. I checked my state for this months UKC hunts and 14 out of 21 were poor boy hunts. I've gotten plenty of those dang dust collectors over the years and I don't care but some of these young kids running and showing likes to see a piece of hardware for their hard work. A piece of paper just doesn't do it in some cases. I know that most of us "older generation" doesn't care but the younger ones do and they're taking our place. I know when I was running the hunts back in the 70's & 80's that was really exciting to go up and get your trophy when they were handed out. That's just one thing that may change the numbers IMO. I don't run the hunts anymore but I did make 3 this year to show and spectate on one and all were poor boy. We have a young girl that hunts and shows with us now and I'm sure she would enjoy a piece of hardware once in a while, JMO.

Amen!!! My 12 year old daughter took up showing this year and she refuses to go to a Poor Boy show. She couldn't care less what title the dog wins, but she loves to win a trophy.

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-08-2018 03:22 PM:

You guys make a lot of good points. I know down here hunting land is turing into housing projects. I know most of the smaller hunts/clubs are not covering expenses.

Last weekend there was a two night $30 slam. Friday they had 8 dogs with not plus score turned in. Saturday they had 6 on the bench and 9 in the hunt. One dog has plus points. So you see that either the hunting areas or dogs need some help down here. With that said Saturday there were two guys a few minutes late that weren't allowed to hunt. So there could have been 11. My personal opinion is with the numbers the way they are now that if those two people had made a phone call and say they would be late. I don't see a problem with delaying everything 15 minutes or so. It didn't get dark for another hour. But that is only my opinion.

At the end of April there was a RQE down here and about 60 miles away there was a PKC hunt that had $1,000 added purse. There were only 23 and 24 dogs on Friday and Saturday at the PKC hunt and I am not sure how many were at the RQE. If someone has it figured out how to find those results on the message board, please teach me.
In July there is a RQE and another night hunt the same night but the separation is 100 miles. For most of you that might be far. Clubs from me are 60 miles the closet to 90 for the next two so 100 miles isn't much.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, I am not bashing the guys running these hunts as they are doing all they can and working within rules. Just the situation we are in and the direction most are heading.

Mr. Felderman and others talk about the cheaper titles at the smaller hunts. That is the biggest change we have seen in this game and people haven't adjusted to it. NOT just UKC but all KC's. You have to be aware of how and where the titles were won and in the money hunts, how and where the money was won. Make makes Grand Nite and he is proud of his dog, I am proud for him. Doesn't mean I put any value in the dog and I wouldn't own most of them. Just like my dogs get lucky and win. That is fine if it happens. But you have to be truthful about what you have and where your hunting is headed. Your standards for a dog comes from within the man and the standards he has in his heart.