UKC Forums
Show all 21 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Coon Hunting in the snow? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928343226)

Posted by rmccoy on 10-17-2013 09:13 AM:

Coon Hunting in the snow?

My son and I live in SW Michigan and really just getting started in coon hunting. Anyone living here knows the winters can be up and down, lots of snow and cold weather other times not so bad. Do the coon move in the deep snow? How does it effect the dogs?
When is the best time to hunt? Early evenings or late?

Posted by STROKIN on 10-17-2013 12:53 PM:

I used to live near flint. Coon will move year round. Just pick the nights that are a little warmer. During the January thaw the coon should start their rut. You will get some good races at that time. Good luck.

Posted by bandithunter on 10-17-2013 02:16 PM:

Great time to find out what style of track dog ya got too.

Posted by prostockpat on 10-17-2013 03:07 PM:

can tree coon in snow

boars move good during their rut in jan./feb.
no problem tree'n coon in the snow if temp. is above freezing.

below freezing temps coon don't move much.can still tree them around water.good tracks can be tough as they freeze over fast.

you'll know what kind of coondog you got when the ground gets cold/covered.

Posted by duke20002000 on 10-17-2013 05:34 PM:

snow & coon

Treed coon in Feb when the temps
Was 4 degrees and a foot of snow
Some nights make dens and slick trees
But you can tree coon maybe not
Ever night some times the coon are
Smart and stay home lol

Warrens Midnight Ryder.

Call 517-219-5556

Posted by Larry Atherton on 10-17-2013 05:36 PM:

Coon hunting in the snow can be very educational. The snow doesn't lie.

The first night after a size-able snow fall they do tend to stay holed up unless the weather is on a significant warming trend. What everyone else has stated are true ... well except for maybe Strokin out hunting in the cold. LoL

Aim small miss small

Posted by john Duemmer on 10-17-2013 06:28 PM:

We hunt on snow alot, If the coon are hungry they will move. If you get a bunch of fresh snow they will stay home but if the sun hits it enough during the day to put a crust on top they will move.
Tracking conditions can be hit or miss, if its real cold trackin can be great, if its warming the tracks deteriorate fast. Snow is easier trackin for the dogs than bare ground. We run coyote dogs on the snow no matter how cold it is but anything in the single digits keeps me home by the fire at night.

Posted by STROKIN on 10-17-2013 06:47 PM:

Larry, you keep out of this. Lol

Posted by jodaviess1 on 10-17-2013 08:12 PM:

THAT'S WHEN THEY EARN THEIR KEEP

OPPY IN HIS PRIME, IT WAS 4 ABOVE 0 THAT NIGHT.

OPPY'S DAUGHTER, GRNTCH. RUSHCREEK SAGE WITH THE MEAT. IT WAS 8 DEGREES IN THAT PHOTO. WE KILL QUITE A FEW COON IN THE DEAD OF WINTER IN SINGLE DIGIT AND COLDER WEATHER. WHEN THEY ARE RUTTING, YOU WILL GET ON A COON ABOUT ANY NIGHT YOU WANNA GO AROUND HERE. WHEN IT IS EXTREME, WE RIDE AROUND AND CUT LOOSE OFF OF ROCK DENS THAT WE KNOW OF. MAY NOT LIKE WHERE HE TAKES YOU, BUT THATS COON HUNTIN. <v>

ME AND BUCK WITH OPPY AND HIS SON, NTCH. BUCK'S RUSHCREEK BUD. IT WAS COLDER THAN A WELL DIGGER'S A$$ THAT NITE. <v>

ANOTHER LATE JANUARY COON. <v>

DEAD OF WINTER/DEEP SNOW/ OPPY, SAGE, GRNTCH. NIGHT TALKIN PEARL. <v>

Posted by Mark V. on 10-18-2013 02:37 AM:

As long as it stays cool and the snow stays fluffy might be the best tracking all year.

Posted by rmccoy on 10-18-2013 09:26 AM:

Coon Hunting in the snow

Nice looking hounds jodaviess1. Im sure my 10 yr old has hunted in the snow he came from ohio but my 7 month old this will be his first. i guess any night in the woods beat setting at home lol.

Posted by jodaviess1 on 10-18-2013 07:20 PM:

HUNTING IN THE SNOW

THERE ARE DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF SAID HUNTS. 28 OR 30 DEGREES AND WET SNOW, IF THEY CAN'T GET A COON TREED IN THOSE CONDITIONS, IT'S TIME TO GET A DIFFERENT DOG. THE PHOTOS POSTED ABOVE ARE ALL ON SINGLE DIGIT NITES WITH THE SNOW CRUSTED HARD ENOUGH TO WALK ON AND NOT BREAK THROUGH. THATS A BIT TOUGHER GOING IN THE TRACKIN DEPT., BUT TREE COON ON A REGULAR BASIS. <v>

Posted by prostockpat on 10-18-2013 09:08 PM:

SCENT

there is probably more scent in winter time.prime winter hunting conditions you can tree alot of big coon.
there all denned up urinating and etc on each other.

the freezing up part is whats hard on the dogs.

Posted by jodaviess1 on 10-19-2013 12:37 AM:

FROZEN SNOW

THAT'S FOR SURE PAT. WE ROTATE THROUGH A FEW DOGS AND FIND OUT WHO HAS THE REAL WANT TO WHEN THEIR FEET ARE ALL CUT UP AND THEY COME OUT OF THE BOX LIKE THEY ARE WALKING ON TACKS IF THEY WILL EVEN COME OUT. <v>

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 10-19-2013 04:29 PM:

Well Minnesota coon season starts today and they are predicting 2" of snow by tomorrow morning so we will see how good our dogs track on snow or if they forgot since last year. LOL!

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by Deepcreek87 on 10-19-2013 10:05 PM:

Where ya from I'm right by galsberg love hunting on snow!

Posted by rmccoy on 10-21-2013 09:08 AM:

I live in Kendall near gobles. I havent ran into too many coon hunters here in Michigan. My brother lives and hunts in Ohio, seems every other truck down ther has a dog box.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 10-21-2013 04:36 PM:

rmccoy,

There is a coon club southwest of Bellevue. I believe they still have a fairly large membership. Most of the coon clubs in Michigan are finishing their competition hunt season, but you might want to start watching for hunts, shows, etc. starting in January. They start off slow with only one or two here and there. Bellevue usually has a decent sized hunt either in late February or early March.

I find the large river bottom land is best for winter hunting, but you do have to be wary of bad ice.

Aim small miss small

Posted by rmccoy on 10-22-2013 09:12 AM:

My son and i have talked about going to some hunts to just watch and see how they are, never been and dont know anything about them. Sounds like it could be fun. How does it work can anyone just show up and watch?

Posted by prostockpat on 10-22-2013 02:13 PM:

rmccoy

there's a coon club in marcellus,mi.
might be closer to you.

anybody can go "spectate".

few things; spectators can't shine tree{s},and have no vote in anything that happens in cast.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 10-22-2013 03:07 PM:

Yep, Pat is right Marcellus is only roughly 29 miles down M40. Bellevue is double that. The southwest side of the state is the area I am least familiar with in Michigan.

Aim small miss small