UKC Forums
Show all 6 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- tick disease (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928504081)

Posted by thomasg on 05-09-2018 02:53 AM:

tick disease

katavolos armstong dawson 1998 pub.med. ,us national library of med. , national inst. of health . ehrilicia canis
laboratory tests have confirmed presence in dogs in as little of 4-6 hours of tick attachment with 12 to 18.5 as an average transmission time under 24 hours for every test dog . all 3 of the major oral products on the market i have studied show a drop in tick kill time to 12 to 24 hours with in the first 2 weeks after being administered . one of them has a kill time of 48 hours on day 30 . when you use a tick product that allows a tick to feed before being dispatched seems to me it is like playing with fire . then when you look at the u.s.d.a. adverse drug events being reported for each product i do not see any reason for me to use them at all . so that leaves topical treatments for my options . 3 that i looked at were seresto (collar) advantix 2 and vector 3 d (spot on ) . all 3 have faster kill times than orals at 6 to 8 hours kill time for ticks . all 3 are designed to kill ticks before they feed . both the spot on claim to be water resistant . the consumer hot line for seresto told me 3 to 5 months is about all you can get out of them if you live in a rainy climate or you dog goes swimming a lot . what ever your choice you make for your dog i hope i shed little light on the subject . KILL TIME AND TRANSFER TIME FROM TICK TO DOG . TWO SUBJECTS YOUR VET WHO MAKES MONEY OFF OF YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCTS ON THE SHELF SEEM TO BE CLUELESS ON >LOL

Posted by thomasg on 05-09-2018 03:57 AM:

north west animal hospital

the bacteria that causes lyme to be transmitted through tick saliva to dog .12-24 hours . ehriciousis anaplasma 3 hours . one more reason to wake your wife up to give you a good looking over before cuddling up with her for the night .lol not just the dogs we have to worry about .

Posted by thomasg on 07-15-2019 03:59 AM:

Re: tick disease

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
katavolos armstong dawson 1998 pub.med. ,us national library of med. , national inst. of health . ehrilicia canis
laboratory tests have confirmed presence in dogs in as little of 4-6 hours of tick attachment with 12 to 18.5 as an average transmission time under 24 hours for every test dog . all 3 of the major oral products on the market i have studied show a drop in tick kill time to 12 to 24 hours with in the first 2 weeks after being administered . one of them has a kill time of 48 hours on day 30 . when you use a tick product that allows a tick to feed before being dispatched seems to me it is like playing with fire . then when you look at the u.s.d.a. adverse drug events being reported for each product i do not see any reason for me to use them at all . so that leaves topical treatments for my options . 3 that i looked at were seresto (collar) advantix 2 and vector 3 d (spot on ) . all 3 have faster kill times than orals at 6 to 8 hours kill time for ticks . all 3 are designed to kill ticks before they feed . both the spot on claim to be water resistant . the consumer hot line for seresto told me 3 to 5 months is about all you can get out of them if you live in a rainy climate or you dog goes swimming a lot . what ever your choice you make for your dog i hope i shed little light on the subject . KILL TIME AND TRANSFER TIME FROM TICK TO DOG . TWO SUBJECTS YOUR VET WHO MAKES MONEY OFF OF YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCTS ON THE SHELF SEEM TO BE CLUELESS ON >LOL

seems like to me ticks are the number 1 problem for the heath and well being of hounds now days, every week someone on the u.k.c. board is seeking information on treatment . just this week in my area north ark 2 of my hunting buddies have had a sick dog that tested positive for ehrichia and is now on doxy ,1 of my hunting buddies was using an oral ,other buddy had a dog dipping barrel . when questioned both told me that they were seeing dead ticks that had attached and feed on their hounds . if you live in my area it is time to rethink and change your tick prevention routine if you are seeing dead ticks on your hounds .the key to preventing tick born illness is kill the ticks before they feed on blood .i have been using the serestro collar 3 years now on all 3 of my hounds . changed out at every 6 months .i have yet to find a dead tick on my dogs that has feed on blood and all 3 passed their yearly tick and heart worm test .

Posted by Toad Hill on 07-15-2019 05:54 PM:

very interesting !!...............

Thanks for posting !!

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Posted by thomasg on 07-16-2019 12:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
very interesting !!...............

Thanks for posting !!

toad hill if you are in southern mo. it is a hot bed for ehrichia . i live in the in north central ozarks in ark. . seems like every hunt i go to in this area someone has a dog that went to the vet and tested + . even after treatment most tell me their dog has not ever made a full recovery .

Posted by Toad Hill on 07-16-2019 02:45 PM:

Yes i am . Ticks are worse here this year than they've ever been !!!

There is a young boy up here who has ehrlichiosis and was in a coma for over 11 days . He was transported to Barnes and immediately received a team of doctors . Today is approx 45 days he has had the disease and the young man is not improving much . He still cannot speak to his parents and they havent got a response from him in any other way except a finger squeeze every once in awhile . Its so sad .
He needs alot of prayer !!!!

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to