UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 53 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Ok Bruce you got me wound up !! (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928505392)

Posted by yadkintar on 06-13-2018 01:01 PM:

Ok Bruce you got me wound up !!

Do you think that because of the races , truck tickets , to many hunts that by having to hunt in 3 or 4 hunts a week to stay in the standings ( mostly the same faces ) that nobody is preparing their dogs they just go to the hunts and swing for the fences !! Back in the day we started preparing a dog for a couple months before a big hunt because you knew you had to beat a lot of dogs to win. That alone lowers the quality of dog being hunted in the hunts today. Unless I am wrong your major consistent hunt winners you only see them at hunts with a lot of meat on the bone the rest of the time they are preparing.

Tar

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-13-2018 02:01 PM:

Tar, you might want to blame it on races, truck tickets, how the moon and stars are lined up or if your tree has moss on the wrong side of it. After several thousands of dollars spent in therapy a few years back. I learned that trying to blame things that you didn't agree with for an outcome your trying to achieve. Is just wasted time and makes a negative person out of you.

Several things determine the quality of the dogs we have today and the quality of dogs we will have in the future.

It starts with the coon, then the time we have to hunt and the money we have to throw at the sport.
Way to many coon dogs are trained that are not treeing coon. Way to many nights are spent in the woods with a dog that can't tree coon consistently but can tree consistently. Way to much money is being spent on dogs that would not meet the standards of someone that understood that nonsense has no place in coon hunting. Nonsense in a dog should not be tolerated even if the rules let them slide by and earn some type of title. I am not talking about nonsense that about every dog shows once in a while during the training process. I am talking about nonsense in their DNA that will stay with them their whole life and is accepted by people. Then those dogs are just taken to the hunts in hope the nonsense can win. Once we get surrounded by so much nonsense we start to accept it as the norm.
If no person under 25 ever saw a dog from 50 years ago used to keep the family in food and money understands that dogs can tree 25 or more straight coon without missing. How are they going to train one or breed one when they are sold on just having a hard classy tree dog t is the way to go and if barks all the time and doesn't slow down thats a plus. Then they play the game counting on the law of averages allowing the dog to win, not a coon in the tree.

Posted by yadkintar on 06-13-2018 02:15 PM:

Bruce I agree with all that but what I mean is making a dog peak at the right time I was taught what I call the 21 and 7 method hunt that dog hard 21 strait nights then rest him the 7 days before the hunt believe me when you get to that hunt that dog is on sickum lol. By hitting hunts 4 or 5 nights a week with some of this stuff you draw ( I am being polite lol ) how do you keep them peaked jmo.

Tar

Posted by Duane Kehres on 06-13-2018 02:23 PM:

Mr. Conkey very well said!!

Posted by yadkinriver on 06-13-2018 04:16 PM:

Tar I sure understand what you are saying. Besides keeping our dog in generally good shape before a big hunt we would condition it for at least two weeks. First week we would hunt the hair off it. Final week would start with 3-4 turnouts always trying to end on a good note then tapering it down and giving the dog a taste two nights before the hunt and letting it rest the night before. We would have them dancing on their toes and able to hunt all night with absolutely no drugs. I still feel a dog should be pleasure hunted and keeping the dog enjoying the hunt. Just the opinion of an old man thats been there and done that.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-13-2018 08:04 PM:

Shouldn't the goal be for a dog to always be in top condition? Most that compete at a high level are hunting dogs that are always kept at what you call a peek and are pleasure hunted hard year around when not at a hunt. I'm not saying that there are dogs that some would not find pleasurable to hunt and a pleasure hunter would want to shoot or that some dogs aren't given un-needed meds thinking it will give them an edge but even given that most are still in the physical condition to compete at any given time. These dogs are not laid up and not hunted and not in good physical shape then given meds to pull out of the box and go win, it doesn't work that way.
Ours has been in 8 cast and won 7 since the 1st, if he wasn't in a cast he would have still been in the woods that many times. Sure you may lay them up for a big hunt that you have to travel to for a few days but even then it's not a bad idea to turn them loose one time when you get there if you just so they can stretch their legs.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by joey on 06-13-2018 09:01 PM:

There are those that stay in top condition and are truly hunted right, but there are not many. I think what Tar is asking about is the need to hunt a dog in a hunt 4 nights a week to stay in a race. Then work, spend time with the family and so on. That means the dog is only getting in the woods the nights of the hunts with no pleasure hunting or very little in between. Some folks can do it most cant. Even if you are hunting it the other three nights it will have a negative impact on the dog.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by yadkintar on 06-14-2018 02:18 PM:

Yeah Joey and if that dog wasn't performing consistently during the conditioning period we didn't go to the hunt. But it was different no coon no win and there was a bunch of dogs at those hunts to beet.

Tar

Posted by yadkinriver on 06-14-2018 03:04 PM:

What me and Tar are saying is dogs can be made sharper with proper hunting same as they can be burned out with improper hunting.
Tar now try explaining that to your secret agent #1. She may be right 99.9% of the time but that still leaves .1%. Send her some beets this year and maybe she'll quit arguing with us and come to our side of the fence. Best I can do is send her a cantaloupe and she's never complained about them besides they don't ship well. And good luck with that. I learned a long time ago not to argue with the opposite sex since I like to be right every once in awhile. lol

Posted by yadkintar on 06-14-2018 04:40 PM:

You argue with secret agent # 1 your on your own she always ends up right she's too sharp for me lol !!

Tar

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-14-2018 06:38 PM:

Secret agent #1 was informed that tar was denoting her to #3 spot. Gender discrimination!
Several of the ones who are gracing the front covers are paid to coonhunt others many of the others are in partnerships to divide time, energy and money, you will notice that many of those same names appear frequently. It is a different world than than the rest of us live in. The dogs stay at a level year round if the dog falls apart they don't last long.
For the ones leading races there is no option for the kind of prep you all speak of. There preparation started young and is continuous year round night after night, when that ones done they know where to find the next.
For all the rest of us the goal should be to get to the level of not only physical shape but also complete indifference as Elvis called it. That's not going to happen by pleasure hunting even hard with a dog by itself.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by yadkintar on 06-14-2018 06:45 PM:

You and chey are #1 and #2 and that get together they have next year y'all need to be there me and jack are #3 and # 4 it's easier just to follow orders lol.

Tar

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-14-2018 07:43 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
You and chey are #1 and #2 and that get together they have next year y'all need to be there me and jack are #3 and # 4 it's easier just to follow orders lol.

Tar

So not replaced by an Arkasaser.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by yadkintar on 06-14-2018 07:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
So not replaced by an Arkasaser.

We can't compete with you he's to busy building lights we ain't got time to study. Besides that me and jack are old and ugly when deep undercover we blend in with the crowd better lol.

Tar

Posted by yadkinriver on 06-14-2018 09:37 PM:

Poor ole Chey

Posted by ole hoss on 06-14-2018 10:21 PM:

I raise and Start mine so I do things a lil different. Once I got them going in the direction I want them I'll jump out locally and try to get there money won. Usually I have there $100 won before there first birthday. Once there money is won I go back to tuning. Somewere before the ss I'll hit a bigger hunt to see if what we doing is holding up. Sometimes I'm happy with them but most the time I can find other areas the dog needs work so I go back to tuning. The ss is my favorite hunt and I use 6 months to get ready for that 1 hunt. I just like hunting pups against pups.
Now when they get xs age 4 and older he doesn't need as much time to get ready but he does need to be hunted. Jerking one out and going to town ain't in my vocabulary. I like to go and blame my losses on my dog. Not myself. If you ain't hunted the dog correctly it's not the dogs fault it's yours.

Posted by yadkinriver on 06-14-2018 11:09 PM:

Now I'll drink to that. But I will say that dogs running for races are not hunted hard 365 days a year with no problems. A good dog man can see when a dog needs resting up or freshening up and will adjust his hunting. When these top dogs need adjusting it's not advertised, just done. If they are well knownand don't come back they are just retired and stood at stud and listed as too valuable to hunt or else they are put on thyroid meds. lol
I agree that a dog that is properly conditioned doesn't need 2-3 weeks to bring back sharp. He just needs a dog man that can tell and there are quiet a few out there that can afford good dog men.

Posted by ole hoss on 06-15-2018 01:32 AM:

I have a hard time keeping mine on point for a week let alone a year. I don't hide how mine is looking or what he's doing. Hes won over $35,000 and I can tell you not every night is pretty. Hes a dog.
When I first got into this sport 4 yrs ago I thought man there aint no way I can compete with these dogs I see in the magazine, online, fb ECT but after running the roads I come to find there all about equal. It's the guys behind them that make them what they are. Jmo

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-15-2018 04:32 AM:

You Jason are a prime example and have made a habit of working hard with dogs and getting your pic taken. You hunt your dog year around there is no down time. Whether running the roads or pleasure hunting they are kept in the woods. Dogs will always be in top physical shape not just hunted up a month before a big hunt then laid up. You hunt for yourself but also have partnerships and are paid to hunt, coonhunting is not just a hobby but also a job 365. Sure dogs have times they are looking like a million and times that they are just dogs but consistency is what you strive for and mediocrity is not a norm or you wouldn't own it. You like others in the winners circle are always working on something young, know what to look for and will fine tune what needs it.
Best of luck in all!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by ole hoss on 06-15-2018 09:02 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
You Jason are a prime example and have made a habit of working hard with dogs and getting your pic taken. You hunt your dog year around there is no down time. Whether running the roads or pleasure hunting they are kept in the woods. Dogs will always be in top physical shape not just hunted up a month before a big hunt then laid up. You hunt for yourself but also have partnerships and are paid to hunt, coonhunting is not just a hobby but also a job 365. Sure dogs have times they are looking like a million and times that they are just dogs but consistency is what you strive for and mediocrity is not a norm or you wouldn't own it. You like others in the winners circle are always working on something young, know what to look for and will fine tune what needs it.
Best of luck in all!
Jen

Thanks i try to compete and the only way to compete with junk is to be more prepared than your opponent. Lol

Posted by yadkintar on 06-15-2018 12:48 PM:

You got to understand when some of us were conditioning dogs we didn't have the tools we have today.

Tar

Posted by edwardfasteddy on 06-24-2018 06:45 AM:

It's really cool how Full Throttle Melt DOWN get's in there and trees them coons, I heard he can make a couple mistakes and come back and win the cast, done it a many a times, now it sounds like Tar wants and breed them dogs that walk around with ya and cocks his leg on your hunting boots, Here's a good question for ya there Tar, what kind of hunting chaps do you recommend for that type of hunting dogs you have? HEHEHE! Lol! For all the young hunters you always want to remember you got two kinds of coon dog's, you got the Light Weights and you got the Heavy Weights. Always, Always, Always, watch and listen to the Heavy weights......

Posted by yadkintar on 06-24-2018 08:26 AM:

Lol back in the day but now today that's anouther story lol.

Tar

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 06-24-2018 08:30 AM:

LOL

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
It's really cool how Full Throttle Melt DOWN get's in there and trees them coons, I heard he can make a couple mistakes and come back and win the cast, done it a many a times, now it sounds like Tar wants and breed them dogs that walk around with ya and cocks his leg on your hunting boots, Here's a good question for ya there Tar, what kind of hunting chaps do you recommend for that type of hunting dogs you have? HEHEHE! Lol! For all the young hunters you always want to remember you got two kinds of coon dog's, you got the Light Weights and you got the Heavy Weights. Always, Always, Always, watch and listen to the Heavy weights......

That's funny...

Phone number 270-820-5560

Posted by yadkintar on 06-24-2018 01:00 PM:

Hey ,hey what's so funny !! I was out till 2:30 in the morning if you will look when I posted I ain't a sissy like you two apple orchard coonhunters.

They ain't got to be wipeout to be go deep dogs lmbo wooo hoooo heeee heeee !

Tar