UKC Forums
Show all 4 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- The “AIR” of Greatness... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928517656)

Posted by Reuben on 04-18-2019 03:02 PM:

The “AIR” of Greatness...

Sometimes in a litter there is a pup that is a little different from his siblings...at eight or so weeks of age he stands squarely with that head held high...with the appearance of a laid back attitude or atmosphere about him...yes he’s a pup and will act like a pup but there is something different about him...he might play hard with his siblings and then he will wander off exploring his surroundings...then he’ll lay down and watch the other pups play...then he’ll jump up and rough house with the best of them...

As a young dog he will show you what a good hunting dog is...

When he gets older he will come off the tailgate and not get in a great big hurry...you will see the dog exhibiting that air of confidence that he is the great one and then he goes in the woods and makes it look easy...he is exciting to watch in action...

If you are a young dogman or dogwoman you need to learn to see these things...some things are easy to see and some are not...

Posted by James B Grice on 04-19-2019 05:15 AM:

DALE EARNDHARTS TERM ,,,SEEING THE AIR WHEN DRAFTING ..MOST DRIVERS CANT OR JUST DONT RECOGNIZE IT WHEN ITS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM...YOU GOT TO KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR( ITS A FEELING ,SENSE THING) AND ITS NOT SO MUCH WHAT EXPERIENCE TEACHES ONE BUT MORE SO A BIRTH GIVEN TALET ..YOU GOT IT OR YOU DONT....Reuben I DONT THINK ITS SOMETHING LEARNED I THINK ITS A TRAIT ...SOME HUNTERS...ARE BORN WITH JUST AS THAT PUP IS WHEN YOU SEE THAT GIFT IN A VERY YOUNG PUP ...THE GIFTED ONE KNOWS WHAT HE,S LOOKING AT..BORN POTENTIONAL...I LIKE TO TERM THAT AS HAVING A ...GIFTED OR TALENTED EYE ...WHEN CHOOSING A PUP...jmo very good post you started

Posted by Reuben on 04-19-2019 02:52 PM:

Thank you James...I agree with everything you said... I can’t say I am always right...but I constantly am looking for that special pup or pups with natural abilities...

Over the years I have looked at many pictures of the grand champions and world champions studying their demeanors just because I wanted to learn more about what I could see...while not everyone has that “eye”...we all can be a work in progress striving for better...

Posted by Kler Kry on 04-19-2019 09:20 PM:

The "Air" of Greatness

The "Air " of Greatness, not to be confused with "Air" of Alpha Dominance. Both ends of the spectrum and one should be used to fertilize the forest and one bred for the betterment of the breed!