UKC Forums
Show all 11 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Animal Clinic of Smithville (TN) (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928534526)

Posted by B McDaniel on 11-19-2020 04:42 PM:

Animal Clinic of Smithville (TN)

Boys, I hope any of yall that may have went off what I said and moved your semen to Animal Clinic of Smithville will forgive me.

The move down there could not have went smoother and the cost was next to nothing, however, what Smithville has just made me aware of in the last two days after trying to get a breeding set up on a female that is 7 hrs from them is they have their own in house progesterone test and do not honor anyone else's - so the female must either be left there or taken back and forth over several days as you track them toward ovulation.

I have dealt with AI, progesterone testing, ovulation, LH surge and all this stuff for a long time and have never heard of anything like this.............................. boy I sure miss Dean Bitzel!!

Posted by Richard Lambert on 11-19-2020 04:48 PM:

Actually Dean had his own in house progesterone testing. He said that different labs gave different results so he would not rely on any outside lab results either. One of the most critical factors to getting good results from AI is proper timing of ovulation which requires reliable progesterone levels.

But you are right. We sure do miss Dean.

Posted by B McDaniel on 11-19-2020 04:53 PM:

That is not true in the breedings he did for me. Have your local vet get them to a 5 and come a running was always how mine and his deals went....................

Posted by johnny reb on 11-19-2020 05:21 PM:

Not sure how Smithville is set up but, a lot of the clinics will charge a flat fee on the testing. Whether they have to test twice or 10 times. If having the ai done there are they wanting to charge the normal boarding rate and charge for each progesterone test? If so I can understand those fees could cost more than the ai.

Posted by B McDaniel on 11-19-2020 05:44 PM:

johnny reb - not sure how that fee schedule would work at Smithville - more about the logistics - if you are 6-10 hrs away thats 12-20 hrs to get her there then come home - then 12-20 hrs to get her back and back home - that just aint gonna work for most folks.

Posted by daniel urffer on 11-19-2020 09:44 PM:

Got a female due to have pups off of Tequila Sunrise at any second. The breeding and everything involved with it was done right there in Smithville by Dr Burke.

Posted by johnny reb on 11-19-2020 09:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by B McDaniel
johnny reb - not sure how that fee schedule would work at Smithville - more about the logistics - if you are 6-10 hrs away thats 12-20 hrs to get her there then come home - then 12-20 hrs to get her back and back home - that just aint gonna work for most folks.

I seen where you said you were 6-7 hrs away. That is why i asked anout the boarding. Alot of places if you are having ai done will offer a discounted rate for boarding. Some will also discount the progesterone testing or charge a flat rate whether they do 1 test or 10. I would just ask those questions. I have not heard a bad word on the smithville clinc they apprently know what there doing good luck.

Posted by johnny reb on 11-19-2020 09:58 PM:

Just talked to the vet in smithville. When having female ai d they charge $10 a day for boarding and $50 for each progesterone test. So not all doom and gloom those rates are reasonable. Take her drop her off pick her up when sone.

Posted by hat creek mac on 11-19-2020 10:01 PM:

That isn't bad at all. Vets here charge $130 for a progesterone test!

Posted by KEVIN MOSES on 11-19-2020 10:38 PM:

Pretty reasonable prices. I had one bred at volunteer veterinary in Knoxville a few months back. It was $70 for progesterone test and $20 per day boarding plus $450 for surgical insemination.

*NT.CH. MOSES' RUGGED RIDGE POACHER*

*GR.NT.CH. MOSES' PRETTYBOY POACHER*

*FCH CH GRNITECH SHATLEY LOBO*

http://www.poacherplotthounds.com/

Posted by B McDaniel on 11-20-2020 11:33 AM:

Well glad to hear the costs of an extended stay there are reasonable - thanks for the info - as I said though the biggest challenge for me, and most folks would be the time involved in two trips there..............