UKC Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Bruce....tell me about the Pathfinder 2! (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928545769)

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 05-14-2022 05:15 PM:

Bruce....tell me about the Pathfinder 2!

Do the old collars work on it. Is there enough features to justify it over the original pathfinder?

Posted by Black Ash Bawl on 05-14-2022 07:37 PM:

not bruce

they added bigger lights on the collar,,,not worth it in my opinion. I

Posted by houndsound on 05-14-2022 07:48 PM:

I've not used the new one... But my understanding of it- not at all worth an upgrade if the original is still working. I love my first generation Pathfinder.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 05-14-2022 09:10 PM:

Re: not bruce

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
they added bigger lights on the collar,,,not worth it in my opinion. I

Plus you can shock and tone off the receiver and track off of a smartwatch. I just didn't know how well those features worked and if anyone has done any testing.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-14-2022 10:10 PM:

First of all nothing old will work with this system. So that would make one have to understand the new features and see if they make it worth the purchase. There has been a indication the new maps are not as clear as the older maps were. Seen some pictures side but side that indicate that is true but not pictures I took. Mine for this area look pretty good. We have a video of our fb page explaining some stuff and some info on our website.

The truth about the older collars are nothing new with electronic equipment as other companies have discontinued old systems and brought out new. I run deer hounds and coonhounds. Think this would be geared more for one or two dogs. Not packs like deer and fox hunters run. But if they get popular that could change.

Posted by houndsound on 05-16-2022 02:39 AM:

Couple things I"ve researched and found I do not like...

- It does not use Google maps like the original... which is one of, if not the best free parts of the original. Is uses map-box. I searched up map box and it requires a log in and account to check it out. My mental well being can't take one more account or log-in in my life, lol. I hope it's as high quality, and works as good as Google maps does.

- You can't "share" your unit like the old system with your hunting buddy... I mean you can if you both have new one's .... but they've made it so the new one won't talk to the new one.... hate it when companies do this.

Posted by Mike Reynolds on 05-18-2022 12:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
Couple things I"ve researched and found I do not like...

- It does not use Google maps like the original... which is one of, if not the best free parts of the original. Is uses map-box. I searched up map box and it requires a log in and account to check it out. My mental well being can't take one more account or log-in in my life, lol. I hope it's as high quality, and works as good as Google maps does.

- You can't "share" your unit like the old system with your hunting buddy... I mean you can if you both have new one's .... but they've made it so the new one won't talk to the new one.... hate it when companies do this.

I have seen them side by side and the Mapbox maps are not as good or as detailed as the google maps but they are still better than Gamin maps in my opinion. I built some buildings about 3 years ago that show up on my pathfinder 1 app but not on the pathfinder 2 app, so they aren't as up to date either. I'm sure that was a cost savings, I read that google maps had increased in price by 1400% since like 2018.

I would like being able to shock from the handheld, only issue is I believe it will use the last settings that you set on your phone. So if you need to change the intensity or you are hunting multiple dog's it doesn't do you a lot of good.

As far as the watch, I use the watch with my original pathfinder. I can track, shock, or tone. It's handy but looses connection a lot, not near as good as the Garmin watch.

Only other real differences I see in the Pathfinder 2 is setting up the geo fences but I never use those anyway. There may be some other features I'm not aware of.

When I have to buy a new one I will go with the Pathfinder 2 but until then I am sticking with my original.

Posted by Adam Wingler on 05-19-2022 04:36 PM:

Maps...do they show property boundary lines now? I tried the first version, it did not on the satellite imagery...sent it back for that very reason.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-21-2022 12:58 PM:

Adam I haven't seen property lines on it.

I will say and maybe we here are just getting more comfortable with it. But it is easy to use. If you were a one or two dog guy and can operate a smart phone fairly well. I think you would be comfortable with the system and enjoy it.

Posted by Travis O. on 05-21-2022 04:02 PM:

I currently have the garmin 200i and I can't really complain about its reliability. I started using the garmin explorer app and can see why people like using their phones. The explorer app doesn't allow you to correct your dog and it's unit of measurements doesn't show yardage but the maps are really nice. I'm waiting to see how people feel about the pathfinder 2 before I risk changing.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-21-2022 08:03 PM:

Unless I totally missed what you said. In your training setup you can use the three little button at top of the 200 to train at anytime.

Posted by Travis O. on 05-21-2022 08:41 PM:

I was referring to the app on my phone. If there's an option to correct a dog, I'm not aware of how.

Posted by Melody Creek Kennels on 05-23-2022 01:26 PM:

I hate that they switched from the Google maps.

Posted by Melody Creek Kennels on 05-23-2022 01:26 PM:

I hate that they switched from the Google maps.

Posted by Adam Wingler on 05-23-2022 03:00 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Adam I haven't seen property lines on it.

I will say and maybe we here are just getting more comfortable with it. But it is easy to use. If you were a one or two dog guy and can operate a smart phone fairly well. I think you would be comfortable with the system and enjoy it.

Na I'm fine with technology (usually), but I had grown very accustomed to the property lines shown on the garmin maps. I realize most coon hunters probably don't pay much attention to crossing property lines (kidding!) but I try and stay aware in certain places I hunt.

thanks.

Posted by Travis O. on 05-23-2022 09:41 PM:

Is there an advantage to having the pathfinder2 over the pathfinder se? They both have a lighted collar, same range and the se still has Google maps.

Posted by Georgeb on 05-23-2022 09:47 PM:

The new advantage is you have a button on the reciever to shock or tone.Ill keep my garmin.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 05-24-2022 01:24 AM:

The main reason I use the Dogtra is that I have way better maps than Garmin free of charge all over the country with no map cards I have to worry about re-purchasing for $80 every time I lose them. I don't think the 2 is leaps and bounds above the 1 to justify starting over.

Posted by Triple K Kennel on 05-24-2022 03:24 AM:

Pathfinder

I like the Pathfinder much better than the Garmin because it's much easier to use & Maps will blow Garmins away.
Not much "Junk" on the Pathfinder unlike the Garmin.
I can't see upgrading to the Pathfinder 2 just yet though.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Posted by Travis O. on 05-31-2022 04:43 PM:

In the limited time I've used my new pathfinder2, I find it hands down better than my garmin alpha 200i. Time will tell if it's as reliable as my garmin but early results look like that won't be a problem. I love the maps and how simple things are. I've tested the range and the dogtra will stay connected longer than the garmin alpha.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-31-2022 04:59 PM:

Think being easier to figure out and use will be a plus for the Dogtra. Along with the mapping even though the maps in the new system are not as clear as they were in the first generation system.

If I just coonhunted one or two dogs and never wanted several buddies dogs on my system. It would be given a better rating by me. However you can't beat the Alpha 200 for handling multiple dogs with multiple owners. I do think like Travis said. There was an improvement with the newer system and I can say many people are giving it serious consideration for their dog.

Posted by Travis O. on 05-31-2022 05:20 PM:

Well, that describes me perfectly. I hunt alone most of the time and when I do hunt with a friend, we never connect to each other's tracking system. I'm hoping that a future update clears up the mapping just a touch. It's still very good but I agree with Bruce that it's not quite as clear as the previous version.