UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 52 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- purina poison? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928475416)

Posted by rob thompson on 02-21-2017 09:58 PM:

purina poison?

Well I won some purina vouchers at a hunt so I thought I'd give it a shot again and save a few coins, well I think it poisoned my dog! Vomiting blood!! Has anybody else seen this? I was feed in purina one try instinct, the turkey/venison. I'm going back to Victor.

Posted by Marty Vincent on 02-21-2017 10:18 PM:

been feeding it for 30 yrs. never had any prob.
think i would see a vet.

thanks, Marty..........

MARTY VINCENT,, 859/489/1421
259 GLENDALE AVE. LEXINGTON, KY.40511

Posted by rob thompson on 02-21-2017 10:19 PM:

I did see a vet. That's a no brainer.

Posted by Marty Vincent on 02-21-2017 10:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
I did see a vet. That's a no brainer.

i bet he never said it was the feed.

MARTY VINCENT,, 859/489/1421
259 GLENDALE AVE. LEXINGTON, KY.40511

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 02-21-2017 10:24 PM:

Re: purina poison?

quote:
Well I won some purina vouchers at a hunt so I thought I'd give it a shot again and save a few coins, well I think it poisoned my dog! Vomiting blood!! Has anybody else seen this? I was feed in purina one try instinct, the turkey/venison. I'm going back to Victor.

Me and my partner have been feeding that same food since it came out. Love it.

Posted by bowling on 02-21-2017 11:25 PM:

Fed purina for 27 years never no problem if vet said it was the feed I would get second opinion lot of dogs get coxcidia and everyone thinks it dog feed.

Posted by yadkintar on 02-22-2017 12:20 AM:

Did he eat the cottage cheese rob or give him plain yogurt either one.

Posted by rob thompson on 02-22-2017 12:24 AM:

Ya he ate the cottage cheese, I gave him 2lbs. Of hamburger meat, seems to be feeling better. Even if it wasn't the feed I'm not taking the chance of feeding any more. Feed was the only variable.

Posted by yadkintar on 02-22-2017 12:32 AM:

I noticed somthing different in the purina dog chow I am now feeding the value pack 24/20 i was feeding to much now feeding 3/4 of a small coffee can even granny dog is doing good on it.

Posted by rob thompson on 02-22-2017 02:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by bowling
Fed purina for 27 years never no problem if vet said it was the feed I would get second opinion lot of dogs get coxcidia and everyone thinks it dog feed.
absolutely no diarrhea, just bloody vomit.

Posted by Triple K Kennel on 02-22-2017 03:39 AM:

Sick Dog....

So what did the Vet tell you ?
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Posted by rob thompson on 02-22-2017 03:50 AM:

Poisoning of some kind. Can't be 100% for sure what from, but the dog hasn't been exposed to anything other than feed that could cause this. Maybe I just got a bad bag, I don't know and I'm not gonna spend the money to have it tested. All I know is I've fed victor for over two yrs. with zero health issues. Purina for a week and a half, bloody puke! Absolutely no worms, no infections, perfectly healthy hound very well taken care of.

Posted by Cory Highfill on 02-22-2017 05:10 AM:

quote:
Poisoning of some kind. Can't be 100% for sure what from, but the dog hasn't been exposed to anything other than feed that could cause this. Maybe I just got a bad bag, I don't know and I'm not gonna spend the money to have it tested. All I know is I've fed victor for over two yrs. with zero health issues. Purina for a week and a half, bloody puke! Absolutely no worms, no infections, perfectly healthy hound very well taken care of.

I'm just gonna play Devils advocate here, so don't take it too personal. If you're convinced it was the food, and thought you could spend a little money and prove with a test that it was, why on earth wouldn't you do it? Purina would settle out of court for enough $$$ to pay for the testing and a lifetime worth of replacement coondogs. Not to mention the warm fuzzy feeling you'd get from helping make everyone aware of what was happening. I don't mean to take you to task, but Purina does a lot for houndsmen with sponsorship of events and such, and I kinda hate to see them drug through the mud with baseless claims. PLEASE Prove your assumption before making a bold statement that may hurt a company that helps us...

Posted by rob thompson on 02-22-2017 11:21 AM:

And reckon how much is a little for testing?

Posted by Triple K Kennel on 02-22-2017 11:32 AM:

Purina.....

I would say that the Purina Food was Not the culprit .....just my opinion.
I have fed Purina for many, many years and Never a problem. I fed Victor for about 2 months, my Dogs didn't do too well on it....hair got very dull, too much waste so I cut back on feed amount and then the Hounds lost weight and too skinny. I have been feeding Purina Pro Plan Performance for the last 2 months.....Simply The Best Feed I have Ever used....!!!

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 02-22-2017 12:04 PM:

I saw a post that was forward to me from a friend that was on FB (I dont have FB) It was a lady claiming her dog had been sick and she discovered a small worm that was living in the purinia one salmon and tuna dog food. I have been feeding that same food and checked mine pretty close when i got home last night and saw nothing. I dont know anyhing first hand myself but if i had a bag of dog food that i thought was bad, i would press a little further. I like the pro plan and the one line of purinia myself.

Posted by rob thompson on 02-22-2017 12:54 PM:

I fed him purina one, where would a guy go to get this feed tested? I know hobo said he got some purina one with worms in it as well.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-22-2017 01:00 PM:

PET POISONING TESTS
Do you think your dog or cat may have been the victim of pet poisoning? If you have reason to believe that your pet was killed by a type of poison, chemical or drug, Private Lab Results offers several pet poisoning tests that can help you find answers.

We can test for the 5 most commonly found heavy metal poisons or toxins-arsenic, lead, mercury, chromium, and cadmium. Pets may be exposed to heavy metals in a variety of ways. They can eat chips of lead-based paint or inhale the lead based dust. Also, they can get into garbage or pick them up from the soil. They drink the same water we do, so excessive lead, copper, or chromium in the water makes them sick too. For heavy metal testing we’ll need 100 grams or 3.5 oz of food.

Did you find an empty food can or partially eaten food? If so, we can test it for a variety of drugs and household chemicals and poisons. Do you think someone put something in their water? If you have some left we can test it. To test leftover food for drugs or chemicals we’ll need 60ml or about 1/4 cup. If you think the poison was in the water, we’ll need 15ml or at least a tablespoon.

Every year in the US there are over 125,000 reported cases of pet poisoning. Sadly, many of these are accidental poisonings. Symptoms of pet poisoning include neurological problems, gastrointestinal issues, as well as respiratory & cardiac distress.
We can now test water or food for antifreeze (ethylene glycol). If you think your pet was poisoned with antifreeze and you still have some of the food or water, send it to us. We need 20 ml of liquid or 2 tablespoons of food for testing. Seal the sample so it won’t leak and send to us for testing. $60
Contact Info
Address:
3107 W. Colorado Ave #265
Colorado Springs CO 80904

Phone:1-800-908-9117

Posted by rob thompson on 02-22-2017 01:04 PM:

Thank you bruce!!!

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 02-22-2017 01:07 PM:

Purina

quote:
I fed him purina one, where would a guy go to get this feed tested? I know hobo said he got some purina one with worms in it as well.

I feed Purina Pro plan and I have had 2 bad bags of it. Had mold on it. Took pictures of it and sent them to Purina and they reimbursed me for it.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Posted by yadkintar on 02-22-2017 01:13 PM:

I never fed anything but the dog chow for years but recently it's color was different kinda crumbly looking and dogs stools got looser I get the value pack for the same price and takes less feed so that's where I am now the hi pro was the best but they quit making it.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 02-22-2017 01:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I never fed anything but the dog chow for years but recently it's color was different kinda crumbly looking and dogs stools got looser I get the value pack for the same price and takes less feed so that's where I am now the hi pro was the best but they quit making it.

Dog chow is for yard dogs tar. Might as well have fed ol roy

Posted by yadkintar on 02-22-2017 01:23 PM:

Ok josh now you owe me 5 coon squaller fine when you send them send two of those pretty ones like on the other site so me and Bruce can set in the retirement home and blow them at everybody lol.

Posted by HOBO on 02-22-2017 01:27 PM:

quote:

Not just once, but twice.

I still raise all my pups on Puppy Chow, but I will never buy a bag of that shredded crap Purina sales.

I do like the Pro Plan Sport, but it's pricey.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Posted by Alan Satterfiel on 02-22-2017 01:32 PM:

I'd be more inclined to believe if it was the food, it was where it was stored and handled after it got to the dealer.