UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 63 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Excuse my ignorance but... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928533792)

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-22-2020 11:06 PM:

Excuse my ignorance but...

Every early fall on here I read about the bean fields and corn fields in Indiana and Ohio and what a problem folks have getting their dogs out of them. Someone please explain this to me. We have bean, corn and cotton fields in Alabama and I can't see the problem with coonhunting around them or in them. Explain the problem to me.

Posted by micooner on 10-22-2020 11:19 PM:

I don't think it's much of a problem unless your dog gets on a coyote, then you might have a problem getting them out. I don't.

Posted by River Birch Run on 10-23-2020 12:48 AM:

Beans get knee high, dense and all vine up. You can't hardly walk in them. So it's pretty much a coon maze. Smart coon know a dog can't get threw them as fast as they can so they won't leave them. When you see a dog with no hair around its eyes, ears red and blisterd, nose raw and scabbed up its been in the beans. Corn only hurts dogs that can't run coon fast or jumps tracks. A good dog can push them out fast, and tend to catch coon on the ground. Pups can spend all nite in a corn field jumping from one hot track to another.

Posted by jkidd1 on 10-23-2020 01:35 AM:

I hunt around them everytime I cut loose dang near with not much problems. It’s not the early fall it’s usually summer, fields up here can be 1000 acres. Bein a Tennessee boy by birth I hate to say, it’s usually dogs from the south that come up here that get lost in them.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Posted by Cory Highfill on 10-23-2020 02:03 AM:

Around here, people look forward to the corn fields, so they don't have to hunt in the stuff they usually do the rest of the year. They're about as easy as it gets.

Posted by randywoodard2 on 10-23-2020 11:47 AM:

There alot bigger than our cornfields down here!!

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-23-2020 05:17 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by randywoodard2
There alot bigger than our cornfields down here!!
I don't understand what the size of the fields have to do with the dogs and the coons.

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-23-2020 05:42 PM:

2ol2hunt

Unless you have seen some of those Northern or Midwest cornfields, you can not imagine how big they really are. Not only are they big, I mean big, hundreds of acres, they are so thick that a dog has a really tough and slow time getting through them. You ever try and walk through one, you would understand why the dogs have such a problem running coons in those big fields. Often times the coons just stay in those fields and dogs can trail for hours without pushing the coons out of the corn. Down South you just do not have cornfields anywhere close to the size of their fields, you just have to see them big fields to understand the problems dogs can have, same thing with the big thick soybean fields. Jkidd told you right, the Southern dogs that have never encountered such fields are the ones that have the most troubles. Dave

Posted by ING 194 on 10-23-2020 06:28 PM:

The beans are thick enough there's no air moving and a dog can overheat and fall out.

Posted by Cotton 1927 on 10-23-2020 09:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
I don't understand what the size of the fields have to do with the dogs and the coons.
I've lived in those big cornfields in Illinois for the last forty years and I coonhunt also, and here's the bottom line the hounds that can't get that coon out of a 50 acre patch are the same dogs that will never get one out of a 500 acre field and yes I've had dogs burn one up for 2 1/2 hours before ,running one and trailing one is the big difference ....

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-23-2020 10:58 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ING 194
The beans are thick enough there's no air moving and a dog can overheat and fall out.
A coon wearing a fur coat and short legs and a short haired long legged hound chasing him and the hound is the one overheated! That don't make sense.

Posted by sleepy head on 10-23-2020 11:54 PM:

quote:
A coon wearing a fur coat and short legs and a short haired long legged hound chasing him and the hound is the one overheated! That don't make sense.

This might help, a mouse will get through beans easier than a coon, a horse will get through beans easier than a dog, moral of the story is very short legs or very long legs do best. But no joking bean fields in late summer are no fun for man or beast

Posted by DOUG CHEEK on 10-24-2020 03:58 PM:

where I hunt I always hunt in the corn fields when the corn is starting to get to the MILK stage and later on in the year all ways a coon is eating in there

then I first hunted in IOWA I said lets turn into the corn my local friend said U can if U want we are not ---THEN WE DROVE AROUND THE FIELD --2 1/2 long ---2 miles wide ---- we did end up in a corn field but not as large --the coon would go from one end to the other and move over a few rolls and all would start over again

if U like a good race it is fun

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-24-2020 04:49 PM:

Do y'all REALLY believe deep down inside your heart that a coon can stay ahead of a dog running hot for 2 or 3 hours on any type of ground?

Posted by sleepy head on 10-24-2020 05:11 PM:

I do, you give a coon a 20 yard head start in a drilled bean field in late summer he ain't getting caught by a 50 lb dog, a 15 lb terrier maybe. Some will say I'm wrong but I've sure not seen it.

Posted by shadinc on 10-24-2020 05:18 PM:

quote:
Do y'all REALLY believe deep down inside your heart that a coon can stay ahead of a dog running hot for 2 or 3 hours on any type of ground?
I've seen it more than one time in these big cut-overs.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-24-2020 05:18 PM:

I've been coonhunting since 1973 and those 2 or 3 hr. races ALWAYS ended up being deer races in those fields. Sometimes they would fall off and tree a coon around the edge but the long race was usually a deer.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-24-2020 05:21 PM:

quote:
I've been coonhunting since 1973 and those 2 or 3 hr. races ALWAYS ended up being deer races in those fields. Sometimes they would fall off and tree a coon around the edge but the long race was usually a deer.
same thing with cutover!

Posted by shadinc on 10-24-2020 05:40 PM:

quote:
I'm confused. I've only been coon hunting since 1960. If you see the coon cross a road 3 times and never see a deer, is it still a deer?

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-24-2020 05:44 PM:

Donald
They can't be Walker dogs?

Posted by shadinc on 10-24-2020 06:20 PM:

quote:
Donald
They can't be Walker dogs?

A deer hunter told us they had run a coon 3 hours with 5 Walker fox hounds and shot him on the ground. He wouldn't climb.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-24-2020 06:29 PM:

I'm sure a deer Hunter wouldn't fib or couldn't be mistaken.....A coon runs 12 mph.for a short distance a dog runs 28 mph.for a long distance the math is fairly easy.

Posted by johnny reb on 10-24-2020 06:49 PM:

quote:
I'm sure a deer Hunter wouldn't fib or couldn't be mistaken.....A coon runs 12 mph.for a short distance a dog runs 28 mph.for a long distance the math is fairly easy.

Some breeds of dogs are able to run 28mph some breeds can run 40 mph but, there are none running anywhere near 28mph in a corn or bean field.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 10-24-2020 07:00 PM:

Nor a coon either! But that's what makes it interesting and fun looking how other folks see the hunts!

Posted by shadinc on 10-24-2020 07:12 PM:

quote:
In your case I'll just go with the title of this thread.