UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- BEST chaps/boots (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=327784)

Posted by Raven Creek on 01-22-2010 01:12 AM:

BEST chaps/boots

I need a new pair and since WICK isn't around anymore, who is making the best and most durable boots/chaps?

Posted by longshot on 01-22-2010 01:18 AM:

The wicks were classics and to bad there gone. I've used Valley Creek and Dans and both were good.

The arguement over Lacroose vs Muck never ends and depends on who you talk to. In my opinion they both have good and bad points...

Another arguement is the heavy vs light weight chaps and that depends on who you talk to also.

Posted by houndcrazy186 on 01-22-2010 02:13 AM:

dewey..

"I bought a pair from k light.. the dewey boots and chaps.. and my last pair was lacrosse with dan chaps and i like these boots ten times better.. There cheaper too!! Check them out on there website..

Posted by jculler8 on 01-22-2010 05:23 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by longshot
The wicks were classics and to bad there gone. I've used Valley Creek and Dans and both were good.

The arguement over Lacroose vs Muck never ends and depends on who you talk to. In my opinion they both have good and bad points...

Another arguement is the heavy vs light weight chaps and that depends on who you talk to also.

I bought a pair of Wick Chaps and Coat just before they closed down a few years ago. They are by far the BEST! My Chaps are about done and it's gonna be a sad day when I have to retire them.

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 01-22-2010 01:30 PM:

I have had about all of them. I have had valley creek with both Muck boots and Alpha Burly's. I have Dewey's, I have Wick with Burly's and I had a pair of grange boots with chaps. Right now I have a pair of Bogs I sent to Tim's to get a pair put on them.

Personally as far as chaps goes, the wick's were the toughest, but the Valley Creek chaps were really nice also. I don't think you could go wrong with them. I haven't seen the tim's in person yet so I can't tell you about those.

As for boots, the Burly boots are super tough, but my goodness are they heavy. I really like the alpha burly boot but lost of folks have problems with the bottoms coming off and they can get a hole in pretty easy. Muck boots I personally just don't like, they don't fit me right and they are uncomfortable to walk in for me. The Dewey boots I really like but it better not get very cold where you are and the chaps that are attached to them were thinner than any of the others I have had. Bottom line, there is no perfect combo out there. If it were me and I hunted a lot I would find a pair of boots I really like and have someone like Tims put chaps on them. IT takes longer and it costs a litte more, but you have what you want.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by Jerrod Lawrence on 01-22-2010 03:24 PM:

The nylon that Tim's uses on their chaps is as close to Wick's as anything I've seen. I've been wearing the pair I have now for well over a year, and haven't had any holes or leaks. I haven't had experience with every brand of boots and chaps out there, but I have seen a lot of different ones, and the Tim's are much better than anything on the market that I know of.

Posted by JLingle_bluedog on 01-22-2010 03:40 PM:

In my opinion the Dan's on Muck boots are the best their is!

Chap: Get Dan's heavy weight chaps and you can't tear them up. I would know where I live it can be hard on the clothing and the arms! I guess a few little scratches never hurt anybody though. When others are going around the cut-over or power line briar patches, I'm in the middle of it. Not b/c I can but b/c it's usually the fastest way and mine are still alive and well 3 years later and no leaks!!

Boots: Get Muck Boots they are they best made for sure. These boots are the most comfortable shoes I think has ever been made I wish my tennis shoes were this comfortable. They too are virtually indestructible, like I said I'm hard on them lot's of briar's, barbed wire fences, and water around here. There is about anything and everything you can throw at them for testing all right here. Plus 4 to 5 nights a week of hard hunting they're still water proof and as comfortable as the day I bought them. Oh yea, they’re warm too. If it's that cold put on some extra socks or stay home.

Again I've been 3 years on this pair of boots, Mucks w/Dan's Chaps and still wearing them. I wear regular shoes out faster than that. You can get this pair of boots w/chaps for $90 at most places or you can get them straight from Dan’s and have the chap’s custom fitted.

Posted by Redbone Proud on 01-22-2010 04:01 PM:

Chaps

We bought Yoder Chaps from Timber Creek Dog Supply and use them every night.

The chaps have Alpha Lite boots sewn on them. We used the chaps all season which started in the swamps and creeks and now we have 18 inches or so of snow. The chaps are great, always stay dry and even warm enough in the snow. Would suggest everyone to check them out.

We purchased them over the phone and had excellent service and quick shipping from Timber Creek Dog Supply out of Oxford, MS

www.timbercreeksupply.com

PR RED FEVER'S SUNDOWN BANDITo

THE PLOTT CREW:
PR DARKSIDE BARRY'S POLISH (RIP)
PR DARKSIDE REDNECK LUNATIC
PR DARKSIDE BLACK POWDER SMOKE

Posted by Billy J. Lovell on 01-22-2010 04:40 PM:

I have a pair of the Dans with muck boots. The chaps are heavy duty. Snake,briar, and water proof. Pretty much you can't tear them up. I really like em but they are a little to warm in the summer, but what ain't. I've had em about a year and still no leaks, and i'm in briars every night. Check out Dans Hunting Gear website.

GCH Lady Of The Night
Possum Hollow Snoop
Wipeout Bones

Posted by Patrick Moore on 01-23-2010 02:58 PM:

I LIKE THE FIT ON THE MUCKS BUT RECENTLY I HAVE STARTED HUNTING IN SOME REAL ROUGH COUNTRY. ALOT OF DOWN TREES, CUTOVER LAND. I HAVE PUNCTURED A HOLE IN MY MUCK'S EVERY NIGHT RECENTLY. HAVE HAD TO TAKE A HOT KNIFE BLADE & MELT THE RUBBER OVER THE HOLE. BELIEVE THAT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO LOOK AT ANOTHER TYPE BOOT THAT WILL HOLD UP BETTER.

Posted by Swamp Hollow on 01-30-2010 12:28 AM:

i bought a pair alpha lite with dan chap 6 months ago.first time out in water they leaked bad,sent back to dans.they sent them back with new chaps on them.2 months later the chaps started coming loose in the seams on both sides,sent back again.they sent them back to me with new chaps.two weeks later the foam and the stitching on the inside of the boot started coming out. i got these at a hunting supply store that told me they had a 1 year warranty on them.called dans they told me the warranty was for the chaps only,and told me to call LACROSSE.called LACROSSE they said once something is sewn to there boot it voids the warranty.so if you want a warranty don't get lacrosse of any kind.i will never buy anything with dans name on it,or the hunting supply store that sold them to me.

Gr Nitech Rough Creek Black Pepper-RIP-(dam of triple creek lock)
Gr Ch Nitech Swamp Hollow Little Moe-SOLD-(sire of triple creek lock)
Nitech Swamp Hollow Katie-
Nitech Swamp Hollow Black Bella
Nitech Swamp Hollow Trixie
Swamp Hollow Tara(rip)
Swamp Hollow Midnight Misty
Gr Nitech Cumberland River Wendy(rip)
Swamp Hollow Lucky Lucy(sold)
Swamp Hollow Snotty Scotty(sold)
Swamp Hollow Miss Paisley

Posted by tree me 32 on 01-31-2010 04:16 AM:

i was told the same thing from lacrosse.muck boots for me

Posted by Ashley Pratt on 01-31-2010 04:34 AM:

Not a muck fan and not too impressed with Dans. My next pair will either be from Bama hunting supply or the Valley Creek Pro Chap. JMO

Posted by tree me 32 on 01-31-2010 09:58 PM:

what does bama hunting supply have?

Posted by Ashley Pratt on 01-31-2010 10:16 PM:

A friend of mine bought his at B&T days the same time I bought my Dans. To me the ones from Bama are just a better put together boot/chap combo. Looked to be well sealed at the seam and more durable all around. This is just my opinion but I guarantee you'll never see me purchase Dans/Muck combo again.

Posted by Tyler Vaden on 01-31-2010 10:32 PM:

Posted by Blue Iron on 01-31-2010 10:33 PM:

I've got the Mucks w/ the Dan's Iron Leg chaps and like them a lot. Super durable and comfortable to boot!

GRCH GRNITECH"PR" Blue Iron Brummy HTX

Top 100 Finalist 2012 UKC World Hunt.

King of Hunt 2013 BBOA National Bluetick Days

Tree Blue

I use and recommend Backwoods Supplies

Posted by Ashley Pratt on 01-31-2010 10:36 PM:

Maybe I got the junk pair but mine leaked from day one. After I got to looking a little better I realized the seam on the boot hadn't been sealed worth a sh**. I'm sure many people love them just stating my experience and I've used both light and heavy chaps with them.

Posted by Swamp Hollow on 01-31-2010 10:41 PM:

called LACROSSE they said once something is sewn to there boot it voids the warranty.so if you want a warranty don't get lacrosse of any kind.

Gr Nitech Rough Creek Black Pepper-RIP-(dam of triple creek lock)
Gr Ch Nitech Swamp Hollow Little Moe-SOLD-(sire of triple creek lock)
Nitech Swamp Hollow Katie-
Nitech Swamp Hollow Black Bella
Nitech Swamp Hollow Trixie
Swamp Hollow Tara(rip)
Swamp Hollow Midnight Misty
Gr Nitech Cumberland River Wendy(rip)
Swamp Hollow Lucky Lucy(sold)
Swamp Hollow Snotty Scotty(sold)
Swamp Hollow Miss Paisley

Posted by on 01-31-2010 11:11 PM:

I have the Alpha Sport with Valley Creek chaps. Best chap since we lost the Wick brand. I like the boots too except for the fact that the sole started to separate after only a few months. I glued them back with Gorrilla glue and it has held so far.
I have one question. I know Valley Creek doesn't sew there own chaps. Anyone know who does theirs? I think they are Yoders but not sure.

Posted by Tyler Vaden on 01-31-2010 11:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Anyone know who does theirs? I think they are Yoders but not sure.
I think they use Southside Outdoor Wear

Posted by houndcrazy186 on 02-01-2010 01:01 AM:

ive posted

a couple post about the dewey boots.. The boots are very comfortable.. But i dont know if i like tha chaps.. I rabbit hunt alot too... And from the sage grass its wearing them out pretty quick... I was walking along today and on of them thorn bushes with them inche long thornes went threw the top of my boot and stuck me in my foot... so now i might have a darn hole in them.. Not even a month old..

Posted by Kyle B on 02-01-2010 01:03 AM:

Muck boots void warrenty for chaps to!!!

(828)-460-1373
'PR' Kyle's No Show Joni
Part Time Handler and supporter of
GRNTCH Cove Creek Timber Shaking
Luke (Fate Lawing), and his offspring

Posted by Bart Myers on 02-01-2010 05:53 PM:

Boots

Bama makes their own chaps and the heaviest ones that they make are the closest to wick chaps that ive been able to find. I just bought them this past weekend at the winter classic but i think im really going to enjoy them.

Posted by Mikyle White on 02-01-2010 11:31 PM:

DANS MUCKMASTER, WITH 1000 DENIER CHAP!