UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 35 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Proposal 9 (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928518532)

Posted by collier41 on 05-15-2019 03:48 AM:

Proposal 9

I own a straight still mouth plott female when she opens she's treed. I think this rule needs thrown out I seriously don't understand how it can be an advantage because the dog will most likely take third or forth strike my female is that way but makes up for it with 1st trees. I'll honestly say this rule has kind of kept me from hunting her in the hunts.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 05-15-2019 02:09 PM:

This rule came about because "hound dogs" open on track. They aren't supposed to be silent. Every Coonhound breed standard calls for an open mouth hound. Could you register your Plott if it had white spots on it's back? Long ago hounds opened on track and cur dogs were silent. So UKC said that you couldn't hunt a hound that was silent.

Posted by BawlsDeep on 05-15-2019 02:42 PM:

Never see anyone debating the disqualification characteristics on dogs in a bench show but whole different story when they are in the woods. I don’t feel that UKC should implement the “Common Core” or “No Child left behind” system in our hunts. Please don’t let me hear of a “No hound left behind” hunt. We used to cull dogs that didn’t fit the part and breed for ones that did. Every dog is not owed a opportunity just because he is registered. Just like you and I aren’t owed a thing. We have to work for it. Same goes with dogs. You have to work for it. If they can’t reach the bar that’s set, Ukc is not responsible for lowering it, and no rules should be manipulated to where someone can just lift the dog up to the bar. There’s way too much of this going on and people breed this stuff thinking it’s gonna get better. Quality off dogs are down. Seems a man gets one to treeing a few turn loose coons he’s got dog in a hunt following Saturday. More concerned in Putting dogs picture stretched out on a tree on Facebook for world to see than to be putting the woods time on dog and getting it right. And as for all the breeders off the year we have today...... People get these dogs that don’t make and breed them because they are off ole So and So or there grandsire was a big name hound. Look, you aren’t breeding to the their sire, grandsire, etc...... You are breeding to the dog standing in front of you. That being said, How can you expect that dog to throw anything any better than it is? I do believe in a throwback now and again but the rarity is far more unlikely to happen. 32yrs and counting in the sport and I’ve seen the quality off dogs nose dive. Just my opinion

Posted by Rester on 05-15-2019 02:49 PM:

Thank you sir for your comment. The truth if I have ever heard it

Posted by RedCreek Hunter on 05-15-2019 03:26 PM:

Amen!

Maybe there can be a sanctioned event held to ratify all of the discrepancies everyone has each year. A so called Special Olympics type of Hunt for these dogs. Probably would be a record breaking turnout form all I read on here. 😂😂😂

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 05-15-2019 04:16 PM:

Re: Proposal 9

quote:
Originally posted by collier41
I own a straight still mouth plott female when she opens she's treed. I think this rule needs thrown out I seriously don't understand how it can be an advantage because the dog will most likely take third or forth strike my female is that way but makes up for it with 1st trees. I'll honestly say this rule has kind of kept me from hunting her in the hunts.

Wow someone gets on here and talks about why he hasnt been in hunts. And we go on rant about sorry breed dogs and make jokes. Hmm wonder why hunt numbers are down. He could be like half others that find a way to cheat and just pitch his dog. At least Richard give a creditable answer why the rule was in place.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by JiM on 05-15-2019 04:41 PM:

His silent dog SHOULD keep him out of the hunts. Just as a dog that trees a possum every night or a dog that fights anything that covers should be kept out of the hunts. If a dog has a disqualifying the fault, why in the world would you take it to a nite hunt? If he wants to participate, then he should get a dog that can compete within the rules. There are plenty of them out there. My guess is that the nite hunts are not really all that important to him.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by lucas foster on 05-15-2019 04:50 PM:

Amen fellas. Called trail hounds for a reason

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 05-15-2019 04:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
His silent dog SHOULD keep him out of the hunts. Just as a dog that trees a possum every night or a dog that fights anything that covers should be kept out of the hunts. If a dog has a disqualifying the fault, why in the world would you take it to a nite hunt? If he wants to participate, then he should get a dog that can compete within the rules. There are plenty of them out there. My guess is that the nite hunts are not really all that important to him.

I never said his dog shouldn't keep him out hunts. I said he could cheat and pitch his dog which would mean it's not eligible to hunt under current rules. Just saying people could handle things little different. And your right Jim night hunts prob isnt that important to him and way people go about explaining RULES the night hunts prop will never be important.

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 05-15-2019 05:00 PM:

I dont own and never would own still mouth dog wont own chop mouth track dog. And I expect for the rules to be enforced with out exception. But addressing things a little differently is all I'm saying. You never know who is the person posting is or there knowledge of rules or heritage of hounds. Could be kid, could be someone just starting out in coonhunting. Had boy draw out with me Saturday green as gourd drove over hour to come hunt with dog that had no chance competing. Didnt know rules at all. Said he hunted alone and just wanted go with someone else. Wouldnt took much make sure he never came back.

Just treat people with respect and open mind of there knowledge or lack of is all I'm saying.

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Cory Highfill on 05-15-2019 07:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
I dont own and never would own still mouth dog wont own chop mouth track dog. And I expect for the rules to be enforced with out exception. But addressing things a little differently is all I'm saying. You never know who is the person posting is or there knowledge of rules or heritage of hounds. Could be kid, could be someone just starting out in coonhunting. Had boy draw out with me Saturday green as gourd drove over hour to come hunt with dog that had no chance competing. Didnt know rules at all. Said he hunted alone and just wanted go with someone else. Wouldnt took much make sure he never came back.

Just treat people with respect and open mind of there knowledge or lack of is all I'm saying.

Agreed. We can(or should) discuss and explain things without being hateful or wandering off on a tangent. And what's wrong with discussing a rule someone feels should be amended? Lord knows they get switched around all the time. He actually brings up a pretty valid point. I could care less about silent vs open trailing, its really whatever suits you. But how much or how soon a dog barks has absolutely no bearing on its ability to tree coons. I've never understood that one. It's like saying what radio station you listen to in your car determines how fast it'll go...

Posted by sleepy head on 05-15-2019 08:13 PM:

quote:

Unless she is 100% silent I'd hunt her in the hunts, it was a rule the hound people put in place bc the curs would hand there fannys to em back in the day of grade hunts. To be honest i don't know if that's completely true but it's what I was always told.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 05-15-2019 08:16 PM:

Some people also get hung up on color. Does what color a hound is determine how well it can tree a coon?
It is very simple. Hounds are supposed to be open trailers. If a dog is not an open trailer, then it is not a hound no matter how many coons it trees. Being silent on track has always been a disqualifying fault. As I tried to explain earlier, you are actually asking to change the hound standard by asking to change the rule to allow silent dogs to be hunted.

Posted by sleepy head on 05-15-2019 08:23 PM:

I wonder if conforming it breed standards has hurt the health of our hounds

Posted by Preacher Tom on 05-15-2019 08:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Jim I didn't know there was a rule that said a dog shouldn't cover another dog. I think that's just a personal preference. But I don't hunt the hunts, just like a good open hound who trees coon night after night.

Posted by tstroud on 05-15-2019 08:57 PM:

quote:

I know a lot of people really seem to be stressing that it can't be a hound if it doesn't open on track. Why does it really matter though? I know "that's what the rules say etc" but a tight/silent mouth dog can still tree plenty of coon, and they are basically giving away strike points to all the babbling hounds that strike off the leash and bark for 90 minutes. If anything a tight mouth dog winning would mean that he made up points on finding his own trees and looking at coon. The rules are supposed to make it an even playing field and keep it fair and competitive. Having a silent dog only seems like a handicap to me. If a person can win with one, more power to them.

I've had a real tight dog and would take it over the babbling nonsense I have seen around my parts.

Posted by D Ray on 05-15-2019 09:25 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by RedCreek Hunter
Amen!

Maybe there can be a sanctioned event held to ratify all of the discrepancies everyone has each year. A so called Special Olympics type of Hunt for these dogs. Probably would be a record breaking turnout form all I read on here. 😂😂😂

I thought they already had those hunts???? There called Bluetick sectionals

Posted by Toad Hill on 05-15-2019 09:27 PM:

I say scratch the silent and scratch the babblers and let rest of us enjoy COONHUNTING

Posted by D Ray on 05-15-2019 09:28 PM:

Knew the Democrats would post on here eventually.... America today.... Can’t hurt anybody’s feelings. How are they supposed to know any different if no one ever tells them anything else?

Posted by tstroud on 05-15-2019 09:32 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by D Ray
Knew the Democrats would post on here eventually.... America today.... Can’t hurt anybody’s feelings. How are they supposed to know any different if no one ever tells them anything else?

???

Posted by BawlsDeep on 05-15-2019 09:44 PM:

Look I intended no disrespect. Man says we are down on participation. I’m not after participation. I want a quality hunt with quality competition. At the end of the day UKC is a business. I Burn my fuel, my time, and spend my money to go to a hunt. Intern I feel I deserve the best possible product and experience I can get. Don’t you know we are paying customers at the end of the day? When you go spend your hard earned money at a restaurant or resort, don’t you want a quality meal, stay, etc....? You don’t want a rude waiter or screaming kids running everywhere like babbling dogs whole time you are trying to enjoy what you paid for do you? Doesn’t matter how much food they pile on your plate if its not worth eating right? These places have rules to prohibit these things as should our registry.Hello....

Posted by JiM on 05-15-2019 09:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Jim I didn't know there was a rule that said a dog shouldn't cover another dog.

Where did I say, imply or even suggest that a dog shouldn't cover?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Cory Highfill on 05-15-2019 09:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Some people also get hung up on color. Does what color a hound is determine how well it can tree a coon?
It is very simple. Hounds are supposed to be open trailers. If a dog is not an open trailer, then it is not a hound no matter how many coons it trees. Being silent on track has always been a disqualifying fault. As I tried to explain earlier, you are actually asking to change the hound standard by asking to change the rule to allow silent dogs to be hunted.

Wasn't very long ago being a crossbred was a "disqualifying fault", or at least prevented participation as a registered hound. I/we/they can change our standards at the drop of a hat, always have.

Rule could be amended, without infringing on anyone's preference. Leave the strike points to reward the "hound" that runs around barking, but don't prevent the silent dog from participation. And if the silent dog that doesn't get struck is able to overcome and wins regularly, maybe people will start defining a hound as a dog that trees coon, not a dog that runs around barking fast and alot.

Posted by tstroud on 05-15-2019 10:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Wasn't very long ago being a crossbred was a "disqualifying fault", or at least prevented participation as a registered hound. I/we/they can change our standards at the drop of a hat, always have.

Rule could be amended, without infringing on anyone's preference. Leave the strike points to reward the "hound" that runs around barking, but don't prevent the silent dog from participation. And if the silent dog that doesn't get struck is able to overcome and wins regularly, maybe people will start defining a hound as a dog that trees coon, not a dog that runs around barking fast and alot.

Couldn't agree more.

Posted by Dave Richards on 05-15-2019 10:20 PM:

Cory Highfill

Best post on this subject, I hunt open mouth dogs and if a silent mouth dog can beat them, it just means the silent dog is a better dog. I do not mind hunting with a silent mouth dog or getting beat by one. If I do not win, it's because I do not have the best dog in my cast, I won't make excuses period. If you can't beat a silent dog when you are getting an advantage in strike points, you deserve to lose. Dave