UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 39 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- LED vs 5100 (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=435616)

Posted by Bondo on 06-30-2011 05:57 PM:

LED vs 5100

I am looking into getting a new light. Is the LED head worth the money compared to the 5100. I am looking at Valley Creek, Pro-light, K-light, and Nite moves lights. Any suggestions.

Posted by Virgil on 06-30-2011 06:03 PM:

Yes

Posted by Gentry's English on 06-30-2011 06:10 PM:

I think so no more blowen bulbs and supper bright I have the brighteyes supper six.

GRCH PR Oney's Indian Creek Big Echo (GR NT CH Oney's Outback Dan X Oney's Pearl) 2013 World Qualifier

Posted by Ashley Pratt on 06-30-2011 06:37 PM:

I'm perfectly content with a 5100, you need a coon in the tree before you can start blaming about your light. I find most of my coons regardless of time of year and i don't think there's a huge difference in making them look. JMO

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 06-30-2011 06:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
I'm perfectly content with a 5100, you need a coon in the tree before you can start blaming about your light. I find most of my coons regardless of time of year and i don't think there's a huge difference in making them look. JMO

Me too. I had an LED and sold it back and stick with my 5100. Really the # of blown bulbs I have had in the years could be counted on 1 had and all of them was operator error on my part. Personally I just like the hue of the light the 5100 gives. If I want a whiter light I just put on a blue tint lense.

To each his own though, LED's sure seem popular so there must be something to them, they just weren't for me.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by longshot on 06-30-2011 07:04 PM:

I've got both and here's the deal in my opinion.

The LED's are light weight , hold charges forever , no blown bulbs, and usually no cords on most models.... With all those positives said,,, I absolutely hate the white light of most led's. It makes me colorblind as a newspaper and sometimes slightly disoriented and it is harder for me to find coons with it.

The 5100's are a workhorse light that is the standard of coon hunting. They are reliable and easy to see with the yellow colored light that is natural to human eyes... The down side is the cord , the weight and maintaining bulbs and charging...

So you see there are tradeoff's on which is best... Personally I like the 5100's better , but I'll sure admit they ain't as handy as LED's...

I would like to try out some yellow lenses on a LED and see if I like the color better since that is my main complaint with LED's at this time.

Posted by JiM on 06-30-2011 07:04 PM:

I much prefer the LED heads but this thing about saving on blown bulbs is a little bit overplayed. I have blown maybe 2 bulbs in the woods in all my years of hunting. Carrying an extra bulb is simple enough. On the other hand, I have seen twice that many LED heads go dead in the woods. Yes, they were all fixed after being sent back and at no charge other than the 10 bucks shipping but that is double the cost and a couple of hundreds times more time spent fixing the problem as opposed to changing a bulb. But with that said, I will stick to my LED head. I like it. And I keep a yellow pop cover on my Boss head about all the time.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by longshot on 06-30-2011 07:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
And I keep a yellow pop cover on my Boss head about all the time.

Jim , we must have posted at the same time above.... Does that yellow pop cover do a pretty good job of duplicating the light of the 5100's ? If so , that would prolly change my opinion of LED lights.

Posted by Bondo on 06-30-2011 07:46 PM:

Any opinions on the lights?

Posted by Gentry's English on 06-30-2011 08:09 PM:

I use pop covers on my led head also. I think the pop covers make a big diffrence I use red and yellow. and very rare take one of them off.

GRCH PR Oney's Indian Creek Big Echo (GR NT CH Oney's Outback Dan X Oney's Pearl) 2013 World Qualifier

Posted by 7coondawg on 06-30-2011 08:10 PM:

lights

one good thing about the LED head is that you dont get as many "miscetos" after you durning the summer cause it dont burn as hot.

Posted by chris simmons on 06-30-2011 08:10 PM:

I like the led hads. Like Jim, I keep a yellow lens on mine and it works great.Money well spent.

Posted by WVHunter304 on 06-30-2011 08:57 PM:

I love my LED light but i bought a yellow pop cover and i find more coons with the yellow light then the white light.
And the coons look alot more with the yellow light.

Posted by Kevin D. Smith on 06-30-2011 09:15 PM:

I like my LED head from Valley Creek. I would recommend a yellow lens also, because it is a strong white light, even on the first click. If you go with a LED you can get by with a smaller battery pack too.

Wipeout Slacker
2013 CHKC Va. State Champion
PKC Silver Ch, CHKC Ch, UKC Nt Ch, AKC Nt Ch

Delta Dawn
2014 CHKC Va. State Champion
CHKC Ch (Over $5000 won), UKC Ch Nt Ch

Posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE on 06-30-2011 09:17 PM:

LED VS. 5100

I own both and use both of them.

The LED is a burn all night, really clear bright light. You don't have to charge your light has much, you don't blow bulbs, and the head don't get hott. I prefer to use mine in the Winter time when the leaves are off. They are much brighter and even with pop covers on, they still seem to bright in the Summer time.

The 5100 burns down easier, their heavier, they get HOTT when on the bright side, but I really like the low and high sides of a 5100 better then the low and high sides of a LED head. I've found alot more coons with the 5100 head then the LED.

JMO the LED is more convient, but I like the 5100 just a little better main reason I still seem to find coons easier with the low side of the 5100 head in the summer time with the leaves on.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Posted by Hunting24/7 on 06-30-2011 10:51 PM:

not evem a competition LED any day of the weeek

Wild Style Walkers
Home of:
'PR' Hands Wild Style Tuff

Posted by greg stull on 07-01-2011 12:32 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH BONDOS QUESTION?

Posted by l.lyle on 07-01-2011 12:35 AM:

I prefer the led head for Flounder gigging. It will last the whole tide on high.

Posted by GA DAWG on 07-01-2011 12:52 AM:

LED..Come on. Get with times yall. You can't even see the 5100 light when shining the LED with it. I can light a tree up and they still look. I use a pop cover to keep bugs away.

Posted by groworg1 on 07-01-2011 01:25 AM:

own both a 21 volt k light and the new g 2 helmet light love the led but does screw up my garmin but man can you find them coon love both lights compared to old days of wheat light and nite lights and d battery lights of yesterday

Posted by Dusty Manning on 07-01-2011 01:37 AM:

I dont want to start a new thred so i am going to ask my question with a 5100 you can switch to high and see the whole tree can you do that with the led? That would be the only reason iwould stay with the 5100

Posted by l.lyle on 07-01-2011 02:31 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Manning
I dont want to start a new thred so i am going to ask my question with a 5100 you can switch to high and see the whole tree can you do that with the led? That would be the only reason iwould stay with the 5100

The spot gets brighter as you turn the knob. The perifory part of it does cover the tree and it is plenty bright enough to see eyes but probably not tail and so on. It takes some getting used to. I start shining on the way to it from 200 yards if I can see that far . Not that I stop and look, just pay attention . I find most before I get to the tree.

Posted by Dusty Manning on 07-01-2011 02:59 AM:

Ya i use a k-light 21 v package and when i flip it to high on the head i can see the whole tree from top to bottom.. I usually find them on low about click three and thats bright enuf for me so find the coon

Posted by T Felderman on 07-01-2011 03:24 AM:

I'd go with the LED.

My buddy Gus couldnt find a coon if it fell on his head. He got a new competition light and all I can say is wow.

Posted by Bondo on 07-01-2011 12:26 PM:

What do you mean is screwed up your garmin? Has anybody else had a problem with this?