UKC Forums Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »
Show all 71 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- vicks vapor rub on females in heat (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=338905)

Posted by Bluedogman on 03-04-2010 01:58 PM:

This is better than a dog food discussion any day!

Posted by Travis Sawney on 03-04-2010 02:23 PM:

An oldtimer told me he was match huntin a buddy for a couple dollars back in the day and before they cast their dogs he rubbed some on the top of the other dogs nose. lol He said it only bothered the dog the first drop... lol.

Posted by Dale Young on 03-04-2010 02:36 PM:

It helps in the early or late stages . Mostly helps get you home when one starts and you're on the road with a box full of dogs. Now when it's time and your female goes LOOKING for attention and drawing a crowd to everywhere she pees the chances are you're going to have pups, just a matter of whose. I've also seen more than one female ride other females when one's in season.

Posted by T.Beyer on 03-04-2010 02:38 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Bluedogman
This is better than a dog food discussion any day!

Oh yeah? Well can you use the family dollar brand or does it need to be Vicks? I mean really...enquiring minds need to know this stuff!

In Honor of Jim Sizemore, " This ain't no benchshow!"

Posted by on 03-04-2010 02:39 PM:

I don't know anyone who uses Vicks mid cycle. I have used it when I was at a big event, you come out of the motel and find your bitch in heat. Vicks or go home with all that expense down the drain. I chose to Vicks her up and made it through the event both times with no problems.

Posted by Bluedogman on 03-04-2010 02:55 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by T.Beyer
Oh yeah? Well can you use the family dollar brand or does it need to be Vicks? I mean really...enquiring minds need to know this stuff!
I agree!

Posted by Cleo on 03-04-2010 03:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by late round lady
I will try that on my hubby see if it keeps him away lolo

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Posted by blackdog1149 on 03-04-2010 04:23 PM:

vicks vapo

i have used this and it works good. i have also used pine tar..it works better and stays on longer if youre hunting in water. i never hunt a female in any competition hunt when she is starting heat cycle or if she is going out of cycle. when youre in any competition hunt you should always go by the rules.

Posted by Rob Smith on 03-05-2010 02:19 AM:

I agree with Jim iys emergency only.
When you spend half a day driving to a big hunt just to find out your bitch is swelling up before you hunt.
It beats turning around and going home.

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 04:01 AM:

if this is not against the rules it should be, and IMO it is handler misconduct and anyone that does this should be bared for life.
i hunt all females and i look at them every time i take one out of the kennel,
the rules say you can not hunt a female that is in heat.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by Mike Van Dusen on 03-05-2010 04:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I don't know anyone who uses Vicks mid cycle. I have used it when I was at a big event, you come out of the motel and find your bitch in heat. Vicks or go home with all that expense down the drain. I chose to Vicks her up and made it through the event both times with no problems.

I can`t believe you did this Jim.....

This reminds me of a cast that me and Elvis was on,I am sure Elvis will remember the night when Ol` Dan fell in love with a black female another guy was huntin.......For a week after this cast Elvis was still scratchin his head wandering what was wrong with Dan????It seemed a guy did this and about half way through our cast,the vicks wore off and Dan followed her around "in love".

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Posted by on 03-05-2010 05:10 PM:

Well fine Mike, just follow the rule which obviously wasn't done in Elvis's case. If the female attracts a male, she is scratched. No problem. The reason I said the Vicks worked for me was because she didn't attract any males all night long, as least not that anyone on the cast could ever tell.
When my Jodi bitch won the Breeders Cup Futurity she bled on the floor while the pics were being taken, I Vicks her up and she never had another dog with her all night long. Again, if she had, the rules say she is gone. I just follow the rules. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by wayne f on 03-05-2010 05:49 PM:

bluetickcooner

let me ask you a question if you saw a young buetiful blond walking down the street and approached her and she smelled from vicks vapor rub because she had a cold would you pursue her or walk away. i know i'm not walking away

Posted by wayne f on 03-05-2010 06:01 PM:

actualy wd40 works better and stays longer than vicks. i used to show a quarter horse stallion that was heavily bred and we used to put vicks up his nostrils and you could surrond him with mares in heat and he wouldn't bother them at all.
however i wouldn't trust it on my hounds as some males will ride a female no matter if she is in heat or not so i wouldn't take the chance

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 06:04 PM:

my NTCH female is in full blowen heat right now i think i will vicks her up and take her to Wyatt tonight and do the same thing and take her to one Sat. night also

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by Maniac on 03-05-2010 06:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by buck brush
my NTCH female is in full blowen heat right now i think i will vicks her up and take her to Wyatt tonight and do the same thing and take her to one Sat. night also
make sure they put you in my cast! lol if they do in 63 days you will be have some more kids!

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0522.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1619.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO PACK HUNT
BUY YOU A PAIR BEAGLES!

GR NITE CH. HARWOODMANIAC JR 4 # 2 TOP 100 UKC WORLD 2013 OWNER JAY HYDE & DAVID DEPEW

GRNITE CH Hoghill Harwood Kasper
owners Hyde Warlick Leatherman
Qualified for 2013 world Hhunt
OWNER HYDE & WARLICK LEATHERMAN. MY PH 574 306 8438
K-LIGHTS ph.936 767 4965
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0734.jpg

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 07:03 PM:

heck that is what i was thinking maybe i could get a free breeding that way. ( or maybe charge some one for his dog breeding mine)

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by Mike Van Dusen on 03-05-2010 07:22 PM:

OK Jim, so say you drew out with 3 males and first drop all dogs tree and when you arrive at the tree and all males are balled up in a fight,scratch the males and now they are gone!
Now the owners of the scratched dogs are out their expenses and are written up for fihgting,and these dogs might not be ill at all,just because someone didn`t show much sportsmanship,and not hunt that bitch in heat!
Seems to me something is wrong ......
If you travel and your female comes in,tough break for you,why hunt her knowing nothing good can come of it....

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 07:40 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Well fine Mike, just follow the rule which obviously wasn't done in Elvis's case. If the female attracts a male, she is scratched. No problem. The reason I said the Vicks worked for me was because she didn't attract any males all night long, as least not that anyone on the cast could ever tell.
When my Jodi bitch won the Breeders Cup Futurity she bled on the floor while the pics were being taken, I Vicks her up and she never had another dog with her all night long. Again, if she had, the rules say she is gone. I just follow the rules. Nothing more, nothing less.

where was this hunt held at??

Allen or Todd is it against the rules to vicks a female??? please let me know I might want to hunt mine this weekend. if Jim and others can do it why can't I

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by on 03-05-2010 07:52 PM:

Read the rule Skip. It says "Dogs will be scratched: (h) Bitches smelling strong enough to attract dogs..."
Now you need Todd or Allen to explain that?
How hard can it be to figure out? If they smell enough to attract a male, they are scratched. If they don't smell enough to attract a male they aren't. What's the problem?

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 08:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Read the rule Skip. It says "Dogs will be scratchedh) Bitches smelling strong enough to attract dogs..."
Now you need Todd or Allen to explain that?
How hard can it be to figure out? If they smell enough to attract a male, they are scratched. If they don't smell enough to attract a male they aren't. What's the problem?

THE PROBLEM IS anyone that would do something like this to try to cover up a female that is in heat (IMO) is no differt then a person that would mark up a score card and never turn a dog lose , then people want to know why theres talk about slick handlers I gess that is what you are saying you was when you did this (A SLICK HANDLER) never giving no thought to the other people in your cast as to what might have happend if there dogs would have fought over this .

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by Buckshot on 03-05-2010 08:03 PM:

I would think using Vicks on a female in heat to mask her scent would be cheating as it is be used as an aid to improve the standing as if not used, would be scratched for attracting males.

quote:

Category 1. Wrongdoing during or associated with a UKC Licensed event. This may include, but is not limited to, threatening, assaulting or battering another individual; falsifying any event-related document; cheating or conspiring to cheat in order to improve the standing of any dog competing at an event; abusing or neglecting a dog in conjunction with an event; and any other UKC event rule infraction.

Misconduct & Discipline
(Coonhounds/Beagles)

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/...plineCoonhounds

Posted by on 03-05-2010 08:04 PM:

I really don't understand what is you guys problem with me. I made the comment back on my other post that "I don't know anyone who uses Vicks mid cycle" Then Skip comes back with a comment about bringing his bitch that "is in full blown heat" to the hunt because JiM did it. How freak'in brillant is that?
Bring her Skip. Pay your 20, the club can uses it. And when the first male starts humping her, your dog is scratched. THAT'S THE RULE.

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 08:25 PM:

Thanks Buckshot

No Jim i do not break the rules did YOU,

look at what buckshot put on here see if you broke any of them.

i think you did but what di i know i have only been doing these night hunt for going on 50 years, not just 10 or so. like i said before if it is not against the rules it should be

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by on 03-05-2010 08:58 PM:

I didn't break the rules either Skip. Go read what Todd posted on your other thread. He said the same thing I said.