UKC Forums
Show all 6 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Big Game Hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36)
-- before you will breed and what age?? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928279717)

Posted by larson's mutts on 10-31-2012 11:10 PM:

before you will breed and what age??

today i was talking to a guy the that was breed a hound that was only a year and half old. to me a year and a half dogs is way to young and the dog is not even a proven dog. i wont breed a dog until they are 3 or 4 years old. to me you should know everthing you need to know about the dog by then. what do you think? am i wrong? thanks

john

Posted by AFricks88 on 11-01-2012 12:15 AM:

dog

I always wait till at least 2 or older! And they have to be a proven dog!

Posted by bigskyblue on 11-01-2012 04:46 AM:

x2

Love our Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by bluedawg1963 on 11-02-2012 07:05 PM:

I leave the breeding to a breeder I am a hunter and I spay/nueter all my dogs except the 2 female coon dogs I have.
A female is sexually mature when she comes in heat the firtst time and her design is to have a litter everytime she cycles.
I personally wouldn't breed a female until 2 unless I was making a cross to save certain blood.

punching holes in the gulf
Big John Whigham

Posted by C. Burns 17 on 11-02-2012 07:41 PM:

a year an half old dog

is young but by then it has the potential to be proven !!!, so guys who hunt hard day in day out have dogs by 12 months old doin it all ? why wouldnt ya breed to em? i like waitin 2 heat cycles myself even tho ive never bred anything i have because i rather buy a pup then raise a litter! ive got what i want now an soon ill start my own crosses! yes they are dogs anything can happen even a 3 or 4 yr old can turn into a cull ?? its all in what u want most people just breed to breed well thats where most ya culls come from ? thats my opinion !!!! take a great dog to great dog an sometimes get a whole litter of great dogs ! i believe a cull is in every litter maybe not but its all in the handler to bring out a dogs full potential, its up to the breeder to decide if thats what he wants to do an raise, every1 has a opinion on this im sure very few will prob. be alike,

i agree tho breed a proven dog to a proven dog for best results but age shouldnt matter if it does its job day in an day out even if the dog is young !

LightNing~StrIke~KenNels

Posted by Nolte on 11-02-2012 08:14 PM:

I think a dog has to have at least 2 full hunting seasons in it before you can evaluate it in all situations to see if it should be bred. And really 3 is probably a better number. For a dog to be breeding worthy, it's got to be able to do the bulk by itself and doing the lead dog stuff in the race. I also think that you have to know the dog's faults before you breed it. If it doesn't have any you're either not looking real hard or being honest.