UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 65 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Trashy pups... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928488241)

Posted by Reuben on 08-16-2017 03:29 AM:

Trashy pups...

I have read many times when someone says my pup started on coon and never trashed...I have my theories on that but that does not impress me...

I love those pups that are gamey as heck and a pain in the rear because they want to run and catch anything with 4 legs...

a ten month old pup that strikes and runs a deer for two hours alone on a dark moonless night and that is exciting to me...

I love trashy pups...

I like a pup that can take a licking and keeps on ticking that don't know the meaning of quit...

a couple of years back someone posted a bluetick pup that wanted to get rid of him because he couldn't stop the pup from trashing...he didn't want much money for him because that pup was too much dog for him in my opinion...the pup was a little too far for me to pick up...

I see a trashy pup of a good to great dog in the making...

Posted by Lipperman22 on 08-16-2017 03:41 AM:

Agree minus the deer part

Posted by Reuben on 08-16-2017 03:49 AM:

the deer thing used to be a big problem for me...those hard hunting hard driving pups were a challenge and a dread to break off of deer...

so just as I conditioned my pups to gunfire as little pups I learned a way to break the pups off of deer before they ever set foot in the woods...

Posted by pamjohnson on 08-16-2017 01:49 PM:

all i can say to most of that is as you get more experience maybe your opinions will change. mine have changed over the years. the thought of what it takes to win seems to make some hunters loose site of whats more important.

Posted by HOBO on 08-16-2017 01:54 PM:

Why would anyone want a pup that has trash on its mind over coon?

I'll take the pup that just has coon on its mind vs the pup that wants to run anything that lays a track 100% of the time.

If you hunt the pup alone or with broke hounds you shouldn't have much trash problems. It's when you start putting them with trashy hounds that they learn to run trash.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Posted by swamp1 on 08-16-2017 02:53 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
the deer thing used to be a big problem for me...those hard hunting hard driving pups were a challenge and a dread to break off of deer...

so just as I conditioned my pups to gunfire as little pups I learned a way to break the pups off of deer before they ever set foot in the woods...

that's the winning ticket rite there.

Posted by Marty Vincent on 08-16-2017 03:07 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO

I'll take the pup that just has coon on its mind vs the pup that wants to run anything that lays a track 100% of the time.

If you hunt the pup alone or with broke hounds you shouldn't have much trash problems. It's when you start putting them with trashy hounds that they learn to run trash.

MARTY VINCENT,, 859/489/1421
259 GLENDALE AVE. LEXINGTON, KY.40511

Posted by John Carroll on 08-16-2017 03:18 PM:

I got enough of hunting wild, trashy pups that you had to beg to tree when I was a young man.

I agree that it is a little harder to find tracking ability and accuracy sometimes with modern dogs, but I don't miss those hours of chasing idiots.

Posted by JiM on 08-16-2017 03:25 PM:

quote:

X3

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-16-2017 03:28 PM:

This another classic example of the big variety we get with our hounds. There are preferences in what you want but those usually are formed around what you have.

My preference is a pup the prefers coon or at least geared towards a coon exciting him. I try never to give him the chance to run trash until coon is i on his mind.

I had one litter here maybe 4 years ago that was the most gamey litter I ever had. At such a young age and I won't insult anyone by telling how young. You cut them loose and they were going hunting and going to run something. I have run stuff with them pups I haven't run in years. They ended up with a bear hunter not far from me and he fell in love with them and made nice bear hounds out of them at a young age.

Like everyone we have a lot of deer. Lots of dillers, possums and otters. Few Bobcat and fox and several Coyotes.

I want one that starts on coon and I do everything to see that happens. Then if they trash, hopefully they understand why I am not happy and that alone slows them down. Then if they trash again. I put a plan in place they probably won't like.

Funny back 30 or 40 years ago I saw a few dogs that were naturally straight. Problem is everyone of those dogs had quirks about them that made them unacceptable as competition hounds, if trash was being run. I am not talking dogs that preferred coon over trash. I am talking dogs that trash made them freak out. I haven't seen dogs like that in years.

Posted by shadinc on 08-16-2017 03:33 PM:

I'll take a pup that has never thought about off game. I've seen a few that never ran off game and made great cooners. Why would I want to chase a deer dog when I could have a dog that trees coons only. You obviously never owned one that couldn't be broke. I did. She lived to 11 years old and I was still trying to break her. An excellent and very accurate coon dog. But, some nights as soon as she struck you knew the coon hunt was over. A naturally straight dog is a pleasure. A trashy one is a pain in the neck.

Posted by CHEWBACH on 08-16-2017 05:01 PM:

yep

by what I read on most these posts !! people train there young dogs !! ! But with all the hard wear we have today to break young dogs and correct !! why would anyone let a young dog run trash all nite !!Two options stop it or dispose of it !! sounds like some need to stay away from young dogs !!

Posted by Reuben on 08-16-2017 05:04 PM:

my point is really this...I'll take a trashy pup any day over a pup that is slow to start...at least I know I have one that will hunt to my liking one day...

a pup with the potential to be trashy in the wrong hands or situations will be trashy...

starting hog dog pups is fairly easy...between 5-10 weeks feed them a few raw wild boar heads...the bay pen 2 or 3 times so they know what I want and then turn them out once the strike dogs bay or start a hot track...or where there is lots of fresh hog sign turn them in...

trashy pups= hunting dogs and early starters
pups that we are waiting for them to mature a little
more= questionable and at the very least...late starters

Posted by S.Davis on 08-16-2017 05:24 PM:

U WD be suprised on how many dogs run deer then fall off on coon.or run a deer without barking a bark on track

Posted by Autumn Clements on 08-16-2017 07:13 PM:

quote:

I agree.
I try my best to keep any of my dogs I'm starting strictly on coon best I can, I want them running coons. We do have a smaller variety of trash here where I live, no deer, bears, porcupine, possum ect main game we have trash issues with would be coyotes, fox & skunks.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 08-16-2017 08:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by S.Davis
U WD be suprised on how many dogs run deer then fall off on coon.or run a deer without barking a bark on track

Several will!! And a dog that will strike deer fall off on coon can be tough to beat. I know of night champion that when another dog strikes a deer will run it with other dog and not ever saw a word.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 08-16-2017 08:21 PM:

All my pups get a few cage coon turned loose and knocked out for them before I ever take them to woods. It's way easier than just taking a pup to woods and letting them run first thing they come across. And I will let young dog get by with running deer the first time but after that I start putting stop to it with little more electricity every time. But I think the more you have shock and get after young dog it does 2 negative things most the time. It will make them lil tighter on ground and not near as fast strike dog. And sometimes it take some of hunt out of dog. Any time you have start correcting anything you open door to cause other problem. Give me the straight dog any day.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Philip on 08-16-2017 09:05 PM:

When I go coon hunting, I like to run coon, when I go deer hunting I look for deer. I don't like to mix them. Lol

Posted by sleepy head on 08-16-2017 09:15 PM:

Not much natural deer pushing desire in these tree dogs anymore which is good with me but i think we lost a little something maybe grit

Posted by joey on 08-16-2017 10:33 PM:

It would be great to own one that never ran trash and had the drive that I like but I have only seen 2. This guy isn't saying he loves a trashy hound what he loves is the drive they have that makes them want to run everything. I'm the same way, I can break them from trash but I cant put drive in them. The ones I have seen that start like that have more hart. Remember we like different things. A dog you love I might not feed. Its the reason we can never decide on the definition of a coon dog, but there is nothing wrong with that.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Posted by DFred on 08-16-2017 11:11 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by joey
It would be great to own one that never ran trash and had the drive that I like but I have only seen 2. This guy isn't saying he loves a trashy hound what he loves is the drive they have that makes them want to run everything. I'm the same way, I can break them from trash but I cant put drive in them. The ones I have seen that start like that have more hart. Remember we like different things. A dog you love I might not feed. Its the reason we can never decide on the definition of a coon dog, but there is nothing wrong with that.

X2

Posted by sleepy head on 08-16-2017 11:46 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by joey

X3

Posted by JiM on 08-17-2017 12:02 AM:

So the concensus here seems to be you are less likely to get high levels of drive and run to catch desire without the trashing. Interesting.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Cry Tough Blues on 08-17-2017 12:14 AM:

I'll take a Gamey pup any day. Like mike stated it's the drive I like , I'll teach him run the game I'm acceptable with .

Posted by yadkintar on 08-17-2017 12:15 AM:

I think it's more complex than that. I haven't had a young dog mess with armadillos in years they just don't pay any attention to them. But you bring a broke dog down here from up north that haven't been around them and they go nuts over them. Far as comparing a hog dog to a coon dog there is a heck of a lot of difference when a hog dog gets a track up not long they are running on eye sight. A coon dog has to unravel a 2hr old track and that old boar coon might travel a mile and go up several trees that dog has to find the one he is up pretty amazing when you think about it.