UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- hunting in snow? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928286816)

Posted by curs12 on 12-08-2012 04:40 AM:

hunting in snow?

How do u fellas usually do when hunting on snow

Posted by daniel cain on 12-08-2012 05:00 AM:

i do but tracks aint always promising

Posted by bandithunter on 12-08-2012 06:07 AM:

You will learn more about your dog hunting on snow than at any other time. It's a great time to find out your dogs tracking style. Tracking on snow can vary as much as dry ground depending on whether it's wet, dry, crusty, etc.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 12-08-2012 03:46 PM:

If you get a lot of snow, coons will typically hole up that first night. Other than that, Bandithunter is right.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Jon Walz on 12-08-2012 04:11 PM:

Snow?
We do ok.....

High Scoring Bluetick male at the 2014 World Hunt
King of hunt @ 2015 Bluetick Reunion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Queen of Coontree Music (GRNITECH PR' Nashoba Valley Piazon X GRNITECH CH PR' B&D"s Blue Queen)
2015 Wisconsin State Champion
2015 Badger State Champion
2016 Wisconsin State Champion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Twilite Mercy (GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Blue Creek Gauge x GRNITECH 'PR' B&D's Blue Queen)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Walz Coontree Rebecca (GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Joker x GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Queen)

GONE BUT WILL NEVER FORGET:
GRCH NITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Melody

Posted by 1deadeye on 12-08-2012 05:20 PM:

No problem here also. Just look for water and cut them.

JJ says " Don't care about know stinking snow"

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Posted by Hoosier Man1 on 12-08-2012 05:23 PM:

If the snow is soft coon will run all over. If its crunchy good luck lol

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Posted by Rick Ennen on 12-08-2012 05:43 PM:

Lots of snow.About 10 degrees. sNOw problem.

Posted by Jon Walz on 12-08-2012 09:01 PM:

Use your head

Just be carefull around creaks and ponds that start to freeze over. Coon can cross, dogs MAYBE NOT. Trust me you dont want to watch a hound drown, knowing you cant help em.... or get there in time.................Jon

High Scoring Bluetick male at the 2014 World Hunt
King of hunt @ 2015 Bluetick Reunion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Queen of Coontree Music (GRNITECH PR' Nashoba Valley Piazon X GRNITECH CH PR' B&D"s Blue Queen)
2015 Wisconsin State Champion
2015 Badger State Champion
2016 Wisconsin State Champion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Twilite Mercy (GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Blue Creek Gauge x GRNITECH 'PR' B&D's Blue Queen)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Walz Coontree Rebecca (GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Joker x GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Queen)

GONE BUT WILL NEVER FORGET:
GRCH NITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Melody

Posted by 1deadeye on 12-09-2012 12:20 AM:

Re: Use your head

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Walz
Just be carefull around creaks and ponds that start to freeze over. Coon can cross, dogs MAYBE NOT. Trust me you dont want to watch a hound drown, knowing you cant help em.... or get there in time.................Jon

The pic is of a spring Jon. I've been hunting a lot of my spots for a long time. I know where there is shallow water that never freezes. Deep ditches, springs, etc.. Coon gravitate to the water. I worry about the thin ice also on the rivers here. I have enough spots until they freeze over solid. I lost my best friend and another close friend when they drowned in the crawfish. Going for a swim is something that is always in the back of my mind.
Thanks for your concern.
Scott

Home of,

Posted by Stranger on 12-09-2012 12:39 AM:

Re: Use your head

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Walz

Learned that the hard way.....4yrs ago hunting by a river that never freezes over, unfortunately a small inlet did, still bothers me to this day.

Posted by bandithunter on 12-09-2012 12:46 AM:

25 years ago I watched the best water dog I ever had bust his way across a fifty yard slough that the coon just ran across on the ice. I never worried about that dog around water too much, but there are places I won't hunt right now till the ice gets a little thicker just for that reason.

Posted by mike shannon on 12-09-2012 12:53 AM:

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Posted by Chris Dailey on 12-09-2012 02:05 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by mike shannon

Now that is one cool picture.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/cjd_daa/IM000059.jpg

Posted by C. Beyer on 12-09-2012 04:56 AM:

they werent movin worth a chit tonight. Today we got our first few inches that stuck, gonna go hard tomorrow night

616-262-2785
Twin Oaks Kennels
SPIKE BEYER, HIS LEGACY LIVES ON!
PR' Twin Oak's CrossCut BoZo R.I.P.
Twin Oak's NextGen. Jewel
**TEAM TIMBER**
COONDOG UP*ENGLISH STYLE*
CoonDog Mafia

Posted by Tully on 12-09-2012 07:18 AM:

If it's been terrible cold for a few days I like to hunt by cattle lots. The cattle water usually stay thawed.

Grnitech Grch4 $KC Ch Sky's Bawlin' Blue Rocket
Rocket's Dowd Creed Wack
Emma's Blue Power Amigo
Ch Rocket's T&T Gnarly Blue Smash
00 Dowd Creek Wack
Rocket's Dowd Creek Lil Deuce

641-352-0706

Posted by BlueMtCash on 12-09-2012 12:27 PM:

**** they look good

I got to say those blue dog sure look good with a snowy back ground ....

Posted by JordanCarpenter on 12-09-2012 12:32 PM:

When it is snowing in my opinion is best time to hunt when the snow is on still do pretty good seems like but if snow has been on a while and froze up pretty good all crunchy gets pretty rough hard to get on a track and get it moving in most cases

Posted by JordanCarpenter on 12-09-2012 12:35 PM:

I forgot what snow look like here been pretty warm and rainy had a few cold night but bad warm for this time of year phone says it's 52 degrees right now

Posted by 1deadeye on 12-09-2012 02:58 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by C. Beyer
they werent movin worth a chit tonight. Today we got our first few inches that stuck, gonna go hard tomorrow night

Nothing here last night either. Well the 5 year old decided to hole a skunk and got blasted. Does that count? lol Then there was the long smelly ride home in the jeep and the box right behind me.
Snow started here in southern Wis. this morning.

Scott

Home of,

Posted by Larry Atherton on 12-09-2012 03:39 PM:

I took the old dog out last night. At my house the ground is still mostly grass. Where I hunt was under 2-3" of crunchy snow.

Long story, short, not even one bark, and this was the same area I shot 3 the night before.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Dan Dogs on 12-09-2012 03:42 PM:

if the snow freezes on the limbs of the trees, the ground den coon are the only to stir. once the snow melts off the trees the hunting is great unless the snow is to soft and deep. then you have to waite for a warm up so the snow will pack enuff for the coon to stay on top.. just my 2 cents worth.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by Rick Ennen on 12-09-2012 04:50 PM:

The snow was so deep this coon disappeared into it when he hit the ground with a poof of powder.

Posted by Jackson87 on 12-09-2012 05:57 PM:

I love to hunt in the snow.Them are some tough lookin coondogs!

Posted by MTCoonHunter on 12-09-2012 11:10 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by bandithunter
25 years ago I watched the best water dog I ever had bust his way across a fifty yard slough that the coon just ran across on the ice. I never worried about that dog around water too much, but there are places I won't hunt right now till the ice gets a little thicker just for that reason.

I learned that even though the water is frozen rock solid in one part, it might be rotten down aways. Learned that when the coon crossed, the dog fell in and I fell in. Ice, water and 10 degree temperatures aren't exactly fun. Dog and I were lucky that night, but I guarantee you the lesson was learned.