UKC Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Yellow eyed dogs (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=249393)

Posted by Dwils on 01-12-2009 06:09 PM:

Yellow eyed dogs

have you ever heard people sayin(mostly old timers) they dont like a dog becasue its a "yellow" eyed dog? they claim they are rather strange acting and different apart from other dogs, untrustworthy or mean or something of the such. Just something i have noticed,lol, i have a dog with bright yellow eyes and the only thing i have noticed different about him is he seems to be very very intelligent. Just a Thought

Daniel

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Posted by Mike Cattron on 01-13-2009 12:05 AM:

I did not notice your dogs eyes being yellow, but your hunting partner was yellow then green that night he came down to hunt. LOL Hope he got feeling better, he lost his dinner twice that night.

Posted by heckler on 01-13-2009 12:38 AM:

yeller eyed dogs that's a touchy subject with some folks.

My preference is black or dark brown.

That's as far as I'm going on that subject.

Posted by Autumn Clements on 01-13-2009 02:35 AM:

I have a dog with yellow eyes, hes different acting doubtful its got anything to do with his eye color though lol

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Posted by Plottluvr on 01-13-2009 02:49 AM:

Eye color doesn't matter to me. My pit bull X Bnt mix had yellow eyes and he was a smart dog. Too smart for his own skin at times.

As far as bench comps go as long as its not a fault I think it boils down to personal preference.

Personally, I think yellow eyed dogs are kinda neat lookin' on the creepy side even.

Posted by Lee Currens Jr. on 01-13-2009 02:59 AM:

i scen a litter of all gr with green eyes,what would threw
that squirrell dogs

Posted by Oak Ridge on 01-13-2009 03:26 AM:

Daniel,

Wolves are naturally born with light colored eyes, of course, eye color does not have anything to do with temperament, but it certainly did have an effect on breeding.

The "cold, heartless stare" of the wolf, made us "civilized" folks pretty nervous, and as we domesticated the wolf, and started breeding selectively when we were creating most of the breeds that originated from Europe, eye color was a breeding selection choice. We bred for darker colored eyes, that made us feel more "comfortable" with man's best friend.

Today, in domesticated breeds, the yellow eye color is linked to the "liver dilute" coat color gene. Have not ever seen your dog, but my guess is that it has a light tan head coloration to it.

Posted by Gordy Sebert on 01-13-2009 03:42 AM:

when i was a kid my uncle had a mouse colored walker dog that was a pretty well bred dog that had 2 yellow eyes. was a nice coon dog but the meaniest thing with hide streched over it that i had ever seen back then. bit me 3 different spots while i was walking by him one day, my uncle said he never had known hin to be mean but he said he had a crazy acting streak in him once in a while. i believed him after that.

Posted by Plottluvr on 01-13-2009 05:59 AM:

Yellow eyes can be in brindle dogs too. I had a APBT that was brindle and he had yellow eyes. 'PR' Genuine's Kharouf IBN TPC aka Junior.

He had a black mask so they really stuck out.

Posted by BIGCASTLEDAWGS on 01-13-2009 02:13 PM:

Old Yeller...

..eyes....

Add yellow eyes to a BnT. Make the BnT 29-30 inches at the withers with a ridge on his neck... make him long legged and skinny... Live an hour from Boston and Providence... where coonhounds do Not exist.... Great Watchdog! .....

As for personality/temperment... this one is brain damaged form dehydration... so we assume his weirdness has Nothing to do with eye color...siblings and ancestors normal and Brown eyed as well... but for a rare other yellow eye....
We love it for this pet... I wouldn't hesitate to own one with yellow eyes if it hunted well and we hunted hard. We wouldn't breed it.... If I were a breeder I would breed for a dark brown eye. I prefer that look. That said I love this dog and think he is beautiful but wolflike....
Oh, as weird as this dog is and physically "dumb"... he is super intelligent. Just love these posts since we don't get to "show off" his yellow eyes often in this coondog world
Enjoy your hounds no matter the eye color!
Happy Hunting Heather

Posted by huntingnick on 01-13-2009 03:52 PM:

I have a yellow eyed bluetick, I personally think he can see in the dark better than the other dogs.

Mketcher@aol.com

Posted by hopm on 01-13-2009 04:04 PM:

I had a OMCB with yellow eyes and a pink nose. The guy I got him from said he had made the cross 5 times and one pup of each liter came that way. Unfortunately he got hit by a car and I never got to work with him. I have a mate to him that is 5 yr. old now and have decided I would like to raise some pups from him. Look forward to seeing if the yellow eyes show up.

Posted by perry co cooner on 01-13-2009 04:06 PM:

I have a bluetick with yellow eyes and she is a crazy and backwards as the day is long. She's not mean in anyway and I don't know if she's crazy bc of her eye color. No one this plant except me would ever catch this dog or get her to come to them when she's loose. She also paces her kennel all day long, it's hard to keep weight on her bc of that.

Posted by Dwils on 01-13-2009 04:26 PM:

thanks everyone

just something i have noticed,, like old timers sayin they liked a dog as far as it ran and treed but said they were set back beacsue it was a yellow eyed dog and acted kinda peculiar and didnt trust it. i never noticed anything wrong with ones i have hunted with,, old timers must be kinda superstitious bout things

Joe: he has a darker colored head, but when i come to think about it,,al the other yellow eyed dogs i have ever seen have had tan heads,

NtCh PKC Ch Catch This

Posted by Brian V on 01-13-2009 04:28 PM:

My buddy had a plott with yellow eyes. Nothing the matter with her I just couldn't stand to look at her.

Posted by Dwils on 01-13-2009 04:37 PM:

when i come to think about it , my young dog(with yellow eyes) was quite crazy when i got him he was like jeckle n hyde, he would be nice until you put him in the box, when you opened it for nexxt drop he would act like he had no clue who you were or were he was, and would growl,,,,,,,long story short, she snapped at me and i fixed the prob right there.lol but so far has been the most natural born coon treeing dog i have ever owned and never had any prolems out of him since.. out of bojangles

NtCh PKC Ch Catch This

Posted by Dwils on 01-13-2009 04:39 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by topshot69
I did not notice your dogs eyes being yellow, but your hunting partner was yellow then green that night he came down to hunt. LOL Hope he got feeling better, he lost his dinner twice that night.

ha ha, yeah and was out huntin the next night, lol, i told him he got sick beacuse he dont eat healthy or nothin,, he says he healthy as you can get cuz he never gets sick! i told him you may look or feel it, but dont mean it!!

NtCh PKC Ch Catch This

Posted by roughcreek on 01-13-2009 05:48 PM:

nothing turns me off more than a yellow eyed dog. cant stand to look at a yellow eyed b&t !!

Posted by Autumn Clements on 01-13-2009 10:51 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Plottluvr
Personally, I think yellow eyed dogs are kinda neat lookin' on the creepy side even.

yeah it does give them that creepy look

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE