UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 32 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- ? on treating a pup with rickets (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928292671)

Posted by Hawk32 on 01-06-2013 03:52 PM:

? on treating a pup with rickets

I have been treating a pup with rickets for a little over a week. Giving her pills of a vitamin D supplement along with fish cod oil.

How long should I expect this take?

Is it possible she won't recover?

Any other suggestions on what to give her?

Home of:

Grand Nite CH CH Thorson's Tree'n Blue Dutch RIP
Grand Nite CH CH Thorson's Sweet Blue Brandy RIP
Grand Nite Ch Dutch and janes blue Girl

http://dutch32ia.tripod.com/

Posted by midmohunter on 01-06-2013 04:19 PM:

Do what your doing and feed a lower protein food. 23/12 adult type food not the 32/16 puppy type foods. I fed twice a day half the recommended amount. Say 1-1/2 cups recommended than I fed 3/4 cup in the morning and evening. Gave the vitamin supplement in the morning and Cod Liver Oil in the evening. Don't let the pup run around on concrete or hard slippery type surfaces for a while. I did this and mine looked fine in about 3 days.

Make sure the vitamin you are giving is not just a vitamin-d pill, but more of a multi vitamin that includes calcium and magnesium and all the other stuff. The pup will get enough vitamin-d from a tea spoon of the cod liver oil. I only had to feed one small 6lb bag of the adult food and then I was able to step back up to the puppy food.

Good luck
Bob Helton

Posted by slobbermouth21 on 01-06-2013 04:47 PM:

magnesium tablets

Posted by steveburch on 01-06-2013 07:28 PM:

What caused the rickets to start with? A pup will not get rickets for no reason.

Posted by Hawk32 on 01-06-2013 08:10 PM:

Steve
I have no idea. On a good quality food. Plenty of exercise well taken care of. fat healthy good acting pup. Its only one leg. other leg is just fine. maybe its not rickets and its an injury of some sort. didn't appear to be an injury so I assumed it was rickets.

Home of:

Posted by timgreuel on 01-06-2013 08:15 PM:

rickets

Was told lack of sunshine and growing too fast has lead puppies towards Rickets. Makes sense seeing the days are short and ya only see people asking about Rickets in winter time when its cold and PUPS are held in small dark pens thinking this is the best way to keep them from freezing to death

Posted by COALMINER28 on 01-06-2013 08:29 PM:

Get this pup on grass in sunlight as much as possible !!!

Posted by Hawk32 on 01-06-2013 08:35 PM:

moved her to a different pen yesterday. off concrete to an elevated pen that will get more direct sun light as well.

Home of:

Posted by COALMINER28 on 01-06-2013 08:42 PM:

She needs direct sunlight & cod liver oil table spoon in feed

Posted by slobbermouth21 on 01-06-2013 09:18 PM:

Rickets is caused by low nutrition usely in pups the lack of magnesium and a few other vitamins/minerals but cant remember what the other were so I also don't think It's rickets but maybe hip displacia or hurt leg.

Posted by Bobby Stevens on 01-06-2013 11:04 PM:

cod liver oil

Home#423-234-5113
Cell#423-329-5135

Posted by Jason Foster on 01-07-2013 12:06 AM:

i had a redbone pup with it, grandpa said feed the dog a can of salmon w/ a raw egg in it, was worth a shot, don't know if that's what it was or not but it stopped it. hope it helps.

Posted by Big R.D. on 01-07-2013 12:35 AM:

pup

Cory just feed her adult dog food and she will be fine

Posted by Wingpatch on 01-07-2013 12:57 AM:

WALMART

GO TO WALMART GET U A BOTTLE OF CHEAP EQUATE BRAND ULTRA STRENGTH ANTACID PILLS THEY ARE VERY HIGH IN CALCIUM PUT ABOUT 4 GROUND PILLS IN HIS FOOD EVERY TIME YOU FEED HIM...........

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Posted by Jbo30 on 01-07-2013 02:05 AM:

I recently had a pup with rickets fed him cottage cheese for a week and gave him pills and nothing would work he was about a 65 pound dog at 7 months old he was huge! He grew way to fast. they never went away and if he was hunted hard he would swell up and i would have to walk in the woods and carry him out. Goodluck with her.

Cottonmouth's Hot Toddy

Posted by Hawk32 on 01-12-2013 12:05 AM:

Had her on the treatments for over 2 wks with no improvement. gonna have to take her in to see if it something else but i am 99% sure it is rickets.

Home of:

Posted by lauraroeder on 01-12-2013 12:13 AM:

lock her up!

don't let her run. the joints are sore and that is why she is knuckling. feed anything but puppy chow of any kind. what happens? pup is growing and needs to slow down a lil. and sunshine is great! you give a calcium supplement and keep penned up! you will see a difference in a couple of weeks. sometimes, you get a pup elsewhere and with all good intentions, you may feed too high a protein and "push the growth" more than you should. i've seen this a few times over the years. they can, and do, come out of it if you don't let them run on the sore joints! patience!

Posted by windyhillscandy on 02-10-2014 04:52 AM:

Sunlight Sunlight Sunlight
Also great source of calcium ."""TUMS""
Calcium deficiency
Growing too fast for bones ..

Posted by windyhillscandy on 02-10-2014 04:57 AM:

Corey
I had a lil walker female come up here from Down south.
Cold cold outside so I kept her in beside wood stove. ..within a few days of receiving hrr from dog hauler I noticed he'd walking on fop of her toes. It looked hoorible and the vow leggs were horrid.
I talk to my vet andwas told ricketts.
I gave cod liver pills and tums and lots of sunlight. With in the site of 8 days she was better. .

Posted by buck brush on 02-10-2014 10:19 AM:

calcuim

the last two pups that i raised i put them om CALCUIM PILLS that i bought from Wal-Mart in the VIT> section 1000 mg 2 times a day right in there feed and they both had nice legs and feet , i have always given pups that or bone meal in there food it works.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by l.lyle on 02-10-2014 11:56 AM:

Lots of good advice here for rickets. Rickets causes bowing , knuckling etc due to the mentioned deficiencies in fast growing skeletons. It I is not like a virus or bacteria that might affect one limb. Probably something else.

Posted by Breezy on 02-10-2014 04:40 PM:

I sold a beagle pup to a friend of mine a few years back. He kept her in the basement and about a month later her legs were so bowed in and out that they crossed over each other in the front. I suggested that he keep her outside where she can get direct sunlight. After about a month, her legs straightened out and she looked good again. They need to have sunlight available to them.

Posted by RED REBELS on 02-10-2014 04:51 PM:

Re: rickets

quote:
Originally posted by timgreuel
Was told lack of sunshine and growing too fast has lead puppies towards Rickets. Makes sense seeing the days are short and ya only see people asking about Rickets in winter time when its cold and PUPS are held in small dark pens thinking this is the best way to keep them from freezing to death

I was told this by my vet too, I didnt do anything to treat it sept vit D suppliment and a special food that the vet suggested (dont remember the name now) but the vet also said a UV light might help (replaces the lack of sun light) but I didnt try it cuz my pup came out of it in a few weeks

Posted by Smoke on 02-10-2014 05:37 PM:

I wouldn't waste time with the Cod Liver oil.

2 years ago I had one do the same thing tried all the stuff from the message board. I just changed feeds and waited. It did take longer than I thought but today you would never know he had a problem

Posted by ken johnson on 02-10-2014 06:22 PM:

Rickets

This is what I did... Puppy chow food only.. Gave half of a vitamin d tablet , and vitamin c tablet in morning and evening.. Cod liver oil in food..1 tablespoon ... For 6 weeks... Pup has sever case of it in one front leg... He now is fine... This is what worked for me.. Good luck..