UKC Forums Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »
Show all 63 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Which KC will take Thyroid issues serious (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928517858)

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-25-2019 09:52 PM:

Mr. Lambert

You miscounted Tars friends, if the pup count is only 4 and Tar keeps 1 that only leaves 3 friends. Lol. Tar stepping on rattlesnakes is not a good thing, now if it bit you both you and the rattlesnake would both probably die. I don't think a rattlesnake could survive biting you. Lol. Dave

Posted by sleepy head on 04-25-2019 09:53 PM:

Re: Mr. Lambert

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
You miscounted Tars friends, if the pup count is only 4 and Tar keeps 1 that only leaves 3 friends. Lol. Tar stepping on rattlesnakes is not a good thing, now if it bit you both you and the rattlesnake would both probably die. I don't think a rattlesnake could survive biting you. Lol. Dave

Corey is keeping one

Posted by gpent24 on 04-25-2019 10:04 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Maybe it’s kind of effects on humans vs dogs. I know a dog can smell a biscuit further than I can. They can drink out of a mud puddle and be ok and I would get sick.

Tar

so then wouldn't you think if a dog is tougher than a person in all other aspects then it would have less effect on them than a person?

Posted by gpent24 on 04-25-2019 10:07 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by micooner
if little brother is taking thyroid meds because of a medical issue ask him to stop taking them for a month and then get back with us on how that worked out for him. Ive had my thyroid removed, along with 14 lymph nodes in my neck. Extra synthroid didn't give me more energy.

He takes them when he remembers to take them. And he does just fine on the day to day without anything significant bothering him. I'm sure there are extreme cases where thyroid can effect a dog just like there are extreme cases of everything. My point is is every person on facebook has a thyroid dog when they are slumping and slick treeing or not going hunting. It's honestly comical.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-25-2019 10:12 PM:

That I cannot tell you that but you can bet your sweet bippy that those boys that give it to their dogs know exzactly how to mix it , how to administer it to get the full impact of it. And they don’t give a rats hiney if we like it. They are doing it for the $$$ one way or anouther.

I have heard them laugh to each other when the victim walked off.

I thought I had street smarts but they got me too !

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-25-2019 10:31 PM:

Thyroid

I believe what Tar and others are saying is that treating a thyroid dependent dog is okay, it's giving meds to a healthy dog that is the problem. Juicing a dog is not acceptable and is in fact inhumane and no amount of excuses can justify this behavior. Dave

Posted by MR.RATMAN on 04-26-2019 02:03 PM:

Get the facts on this matter

https://drjeandoddspethealthresourc...m/dodds-thyroid

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 04-26-2019 02:13 PM:

Mr. Ratman Thanks for sharing this info.

Posted by Littletown on 04-28-2019 04:17 AM:

Dog breeders have been testing for Thyroid disease (prior to breeding) for a long time. There is a database on the OFA website that you can go to look up any dog of any breed for ANY inherited health condition or disease. The OFA stands for "Orthopedic Foundation for Animals", and it has been involved in genetic testing & related research since the mid-1960's...

The OFA has been an enormous help to many of us, as we can simply go on that site to look up test results for any dog in our dogs' pedigrees. If the breeder tests, it is usually on the database, but if for some reason there is NO information on a particular dog, then you should ASK the breeder (before you buy OR breed to a stud) to send you a copy of the dog's CLEAR / NORMAL Thyroid certificate. IF A BREEDER HAS TESTED THEIR DOGS, THEY WILL HAVE A CERTIFICATE THAT PROVES THIS. If their dog is not on the database, AND the breeder has no certificate - then you don't buy the puppy or breed to the stud. Or - you can go along as you have been, and take your chances. The cost for a breeder to have the OFA certify the results for publication on the database is not that expensive, and they do give litter discounts for some of the tests.

Here is a link for you to go directly to the Thyroid page, and you should read the whole page, carefully. The problem with Thyroid testing is this (below info is taken directly from the OFA web page) :

Autoimmune thyroiditis is the most common cause of primary hypothyroidism in dogs. The disease has variable onset, but tends to clinically manifest itself at 2 to 5 years of age. Dogs may be clinically normal for years, only to become hypothyroid at a later date. The marker for autoimmune thyroiditis, thyroglobulin autoantibody formation, usually occurs prior to the occurrence of clinical signs. Therefore, periodic retesting is recommended.

The majority of dogs that develop autoantibodies have them by 3 to 4 years of age. Development of autoantibodies at any time in the dog’s life is an indication that the dog most likely has the genetic form of the disease. Using today’s technology only a small fraction of false positive tests occur.

As a result of the variable onset of the presence of autoantibodies, periodic testing will be necessary. Dogs that are negative at 1 year of age may become positive at 6 years of age. Dogs should be tested every year or two in order to be certain they have not developed the condition. Since the majority of affected dogs will have autoantibodies by 4 years of age, annual testing for the first 4 years is recommended. After that, testing every other year should suffice. Unfortunately, a negative at any one time will not guarantee that the dog will not develop thyroiditis.

Here is that link to the OFA Thyroid Information page:

www.ofa.org/diseases/other-diseases/hypothyroidism

There is MUCH more information than what I have posted here. I hope this information helps some of you to decide what to do. When a disease or condition becomes "common" in a breed, it takes a lot of cooperation between breeders in order to "clean up the gene pool". But we all have to start somewhere... Good Luck !!

Posted by Littletown on 04-28-2019 04:20 AM:

I am sorry, but my previous post was partially cut off. Below is the FULL paragraph that was missed:

As a result of the variable onset of the presence of autoantibodies, periodic testing will be necessary. Dogs that are negative at 1 year of age may become positive at 6 years of age. Dogs should be tested every year or two in order to be certain they have not developed the condition. Since the majority of affected dogs will have autoantibodies by 4 years of age, annual testing for the first 4 years is recommended. After that, testing every other year should suffice. Unfortunately, a negative at any one time will not guarantee that the dog will not develop thyroiditis.

Posted by Cleo on 04-29-2019 01:25 PM:

What about testing for hips, eyes, thyroid, temperament, brucellosis..... I could go on and on.

Bloodwork and research should be done before anyone breeds, PERIOD
We never breed a bitch that isn't tested. We spay every bitch that isn't correct or has issues.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Posted by Dogwhisper on 04-29-2019 02:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
X-BRED could be a way to solve the health problems we see in our hounds .

2X......
Now if UKC would only recognize them as the 8th breed of coonhound, one could enter them @ the "PURINA
NATIONALS"...... where others could witness their
talents .....
I was dissapointed to learn their not eligible for entery in that hunt!!!

Posted by thomasg on 04-29-2019 02:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
How much do pups and dogs cost from those other registries where the pups/dogs are tested? Coonhunters gripe about paying $300-$500 for a pup and $1,500 for a young started dog. Try to buy a bird dog or O.F.A. certified dog and see what it costs you.
If you are serious about thyroid issues, just insist on a signed certified vet check that includes a thyroid profile before you buy a dog. It isn't that hard.

i know first hand on how much $ can be thrown into a sink hole on a thyroid dog . only to be heart broken when it has to be put to sleep . i would rather pay the money for a pup out of O.F.A. certified stock than run up a 3000 $ vet bill just to dig a hole in the back yard for a 2 year old that was part of our family . ? i have is where would i find a O.F.A. certified hound pup of any breed ? could it be what i am looking 4 is scarce as hens teeth and pigs that fly? some dogs that have a thyroid problems cant be cured with 2 pills a day .putting them to sleep could be your last option when they develop brain seizures that cant be controlled paired with improper liver function .

Posted by Larry Atherton on 04-29-2019 06:30 PM:

Actually, X-breed isn't necessarily a fix. Coon hound breeds are genetically very close to each other.

Here is a example. On a anti-pure dog breed website the owner stated that it would be better to breed German Shepards to Labs to avoid hip dysplasia. So it would be better to breed two breeds who both are prone to hip dysplasia to avoid it? I don't think so.

We have already stated that thyroid issues exist in all coon hound breeds. X-breed alone wouldn't be a means to eliminate thyroid issues.

Aim small miss small

Posted by thomasg on 04-30-2019 01:09 PM:

BRUCE ALL THE BREED ASS. SHOULD ALL WAKE UP AND TAKE ACTION ON THE HEALTH ISSUES WE FACE TODAY .

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 04-30-2019 01:54 PM:

thomasg , I appreciate your understanding and input on this subject.

Posted by Littletown on 05-01-2019 03:17 AM:

From the OFA Breed Statistics DETAILS (there are several genetic disease tests for EACH breed listed):

Stats for Black & Tans tested:
www.ofa.org/diseases/breed-statistics#detail

Stats for Blueticks tested: (of 49 dogs, 20.4 % tested ABNORMAL for Hips)

Stats for Plott Hounds tested: (very few tested)

Stats for "Walkers" tested: (of 7 dogs, 42.9 % tested ABNORMAL for Hips)

Stats for Treeing Walkers tested: (This was a second category for the same breed)

Stats for Redbones tested:

Posted by Team Mafia 2 on 05-03-2019 03:36 AM:

The better question here is when are people going to start taking preventive measures to protect there dogs thyroid??? Thyroid issues isn’t some crazy genetic mutation that has come about in the last 5 years or so it has to do with what we are putting into our dogs. Did you guys know that you can count the number of Dog foods that contain Iodized salt on one hand?? Did you know that Iodized salt is One of the most needed things for thyroid health?
Also people need to educate themselves on what exactly a low thyroid is. A low thyroid isn’t a reading in the ones a low thyroid will barely register by this I mean it will be below 1. A dog that’s thyroid is in the ones more than likely needs a change of diet a good worming and a multi vitamin shoved down its throat everyday. Speaking of multi vitamins how many of you spend the time and money to give your dog one everyday? I’m guessing below 50%. How many spend the $50 a month on a good flea and tick pill? Both of these will do a lot to maintain your dogs thyroid health. 99% of these thyroid problems are excuses for junk dogs that need to be in a bone pile.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Posted by Dave Richards on 05-03-2019 04:24 AM:

Dalton Cummings

Great post! Owning a dog requires an obligation to maintain that animals health, proper feed, preventive meds as you indicated and good housing. I have seen people that did not deserve to own a dog the way they treated them. You can tell a lot about someone just by the way they treat their animals. Dave

Posted by Richard Lambert on 05-03-2019 12:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
..... 99% of these thyroid problems are excuses for junk dogs that need to be in a bone pile....

So, we should only take care of our good dogs? Are you saying that instead of giving a thyroid dog a 20 cent pill a day we should "put them in a bone pile"? And Mr Richards, it sounds like you are in agreement. Did you take care of your one thyroid dog or did you "put it in a bone pile"?

Posted by thomasg on 05-03-2019 12:38 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
The better question here is when are people going to start taking preventive measures to protect there dogs thyroid??? Thyroid issues isn’t some crazy genetic mutation that has come about in the last 5 years or so it has to do with what we are putting into our dogs. Did you guys know that you can count the number of Dog foods that contain Iodized salt on one hand?? Did you know that Iodized salt is One of the most needed things for thyroid health?
Also people need to educate themselves on what exactly a low thyroid is. A low thyroid isn’t a reading in the ones a low thyroid will barely register by this I mean it will be below 1. A dog that’s thyroid is in the ones more than likely needs a change of diet a good worming and a multi vitamin shoved down its throat everyday. Speaking of multi vitamins how many of you spend the time and money to give your dog one everyday? I’m guessing below 50%. How many spend the $50 a month on a good flea and tick pill? Both of these will do a lot to maintain your dogs thyroid health. 99% of these thyroid problems are excuses for junk dogs that need to be in a bone pile.

80% of dogs that have low thyroids were predestined at birth though the genes received from their sire and dam . studies show tick disease transfer can be as little as 3 hours . no oral 50 $ pill has a kill time fast enough for ticks to stop your hound from getting sick . any tick product that allows a tick to feed before being killed is just added poison without benefits . multi vitamins if it make ya feel better why not .lol

Posted by pamjohnson on 05-03-2019 01:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
80% of dogs that have low thyroids were predestined at birth though the genes received from their sire and dam . studies show tick disease transfer can be as little as 2 hours . no oral 50 $ pill has a kill time fast enough for ticks to stop your hound from getting sick . any tick product that allows a tick to feed before being killed is just added poison without benefits . multi vitamins if it make ya feel better why not .lol
x2

Posted by Lone Pine JB on 05-03-2019 03:10 PM:

is it really that big of an issue everywhere? I don't know of anyone in this country with thyroid issues.

I've heard its very common in ome line, but not many of those dogs up north here. does it seem to be a north vs south thing? my biological science background leads me to believe ticks are a big part of the issue. here it's primarily lyme disease.

Lone Pine North

Posted by 4play on 05-03-2019 04:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Pine JB
is it really that big of an issue everywhere? I don't know of anyone in this country with thyroid issues.

I've heard its very common in ome line, but not many of those dogs up north here. does it seem to be a north vs south thing? my biological science background leads me to believe ticks are a big part of the issue. here it's primarily lyme disease.

It's a serious problem in midwest south to Mississippi and surrounding areas.
2 dogs I bought from Mo. had Eurlichia

Female I've owned from 12 months {10 now} got Rocky Mnt fever in Mi.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by Team Mafia 2 on 05-03-2019 07:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
So, we should only take care of our good dogs? Are you saying that instead of giving a thyroid dog a 20 cent pill a day we should "put them in a bone pile"? And Mr Richards, it sounds like you are in agreement. Did you take care of your one thyroid dog or did you "put it in a bone pile"?

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Why would you waste 20 cents a day on a pill for a junk dog? If your wasting 20 cents on a pill your wasting 2 dollars or more a day on feed and then wormer all for something that isn’t any good. I’ve never done the math on the One time cure but I’m guessing it’s somewhere around 20 cents as well. If more people used the one time cure instead of pawning there junk off on someone and then that someone Breeding it you would see better dogs. I’m a firm believer in that one time cure but then again I refuse to “take care of” anything but a good one.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545