UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 27 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- pellet guns (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928341971)

Posted by osagebl on 10-09-2013 03:45 AM:

pellet guns

with the high cost of 22 ammo.i was thinkin of usein a good pellet rifle.but I need some help I wouldn't have a clue as to which I would need.i know its got to kill a coon and shoot aleast 50 feet .please help

Posted by mccracken on 10-09-2013 03:51 AM:

Most gamos will do what ya need there are a few different calb 177 and 22 that ive seen the 22 hit alil harder but 177 seem more acu. To me ive shot them out with the 177 before was very inpressed basically like shooting a 22 short

Posted by edf61 on 10-09-2013 04:16 AM:

I bought a Remington NPSS, in 22 cal. Pellets are cheap!!! I squirrel hunt with it, and coon hunt with it. Will kill, but sometimes it may take a couple shots. Have had it for 2 years, I was impressed!!! Down side; the rifle is kind of bulky. I think I paid around $325 for rifle, scope and 1 thousand rounds.

www.statecoonhuntersofmo.com
Home of:
GRCH,GRNITECH FRANKLIN"S ALNIGHT HAMMERIN HANNA , HTX[Youngest B/T female to make dual grand){13 B/T Sectional Queen of Hunt Wins}
CH,FRANKLINS ALNIGHT UGLY BUTTON { GRNTCH,GRCH UGLYSTICK / GRNTCH,GRCH FRANKLINS ALNIGHT HANNA }-FEMALE,1st place win

Posted by osagebl on 10-09-2013 12:11 PM:

bttt

Posted by Darrell Eads on 10-09-2013 02:38 PM:

I bought a Ruger 177 cal. it works , shoots like a 22

Posted by Larry Atherton on 10-09-2013 03:25 PM:

I have shot many of the new pellet guns. Frankly, I have not been impressed. The majority of pellet guns have a horrible trigger which in turn greatly reduces accuracy. Yes, you can spend more than a good .22 rifle for a pellet gun with a good trigger pull, but why?

Then there is the whole issue of weight. The lead weight is very important. A .177 caliber pellet weighs 7.5 grains or even less. A .22 bullet weighs 32-40 grains. That is a serious difference. Everyone should know that it is the weight of the bullet that imparts energy from the bullet to the animal. Yes, pellet guns will kill coons, but i sure wouldn't want to use a pellet gun to try to kill an old 25 pound boar coon down to a promising prodigy.

It is similar as using a .22 to shot a deer. Yes, it can be done, but if you are 125 yards from a 225 inch of serious bone I am pretty sure ya would like to have a more substantial gun.

I lecture my sons all the time that a gun is a tool, and that there is a right way and wrong way to use a tool. They need to be sure that they use a gun only the right way. That also goes with using the right tool for the right job.

Aim small miss small

Posted by mccracken on 10-09-2013 03:35 PM:

Its not as much the size on the bullet or pellet but shot placement...look on youtube there are plenty of vids of people killing wild hogs and such with pellet rifles

Posted by JiM on 10-09-2013 03:39 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by mccracken
Its not as much the size on the bullet or pellet but shot placement...look on youtube there are plenty of vids of people killing wild hogs and such with pellet rifles

Yes and there is an old documented instance of a woman killing a grizzly bear with one shot from a 22.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by Ray&Luie on 10-09-2013 03:47 PM:

22 short

Worked at a meat processing plant for a year never used anything but 22 shorts on Cows and Hogs , placement is the key

Ray Hudson

Posted by Todd K / UKC on 10-09-2013 04:09 PM:

I had a Crosman .22 cal spring piston air gun that shot around 800 fps which I think is pretty typical of the velocity you can expect to find with lead pellets. Despite the accuracy issues in regards to triggers etc that Larry rightfully mentions, it just was not enough gun to ethically harvest coon as far as I was concerned. I would not recommend going that route.

Posted by prostockpat on 10-09-2013 04:37 PM:

air powered?

lol,sorry to say there a joke.
spent good money on nitro "whisper" 1200fps.
1.no knock down power unless your less than 40ft away.
2.no "whisper",almost as loud as .22
3.will not hold a pattern.even tried the high dollar hunting pellets.
4.bad investment.

Posted by JPBlack on 10-09-2013 11:48 PM:

use a crossman somethin or nother 1000 fps, dont use cheap pellets shot placement is key, get into one for 100- 120 bucks no worries

Posted by garminguru on 10-09-2013 11:53 PM:

You would have to be shooting out thousands of coons for the cost of 22 ammo to be a factor when considering the purchase of a pellet rifle instead.
Furthermore, if you already have a 22 rifle, look how much money you would be investing in a high quality pellet rifle that you could just spend on 22 ammo instead.
It would be like buying a new car because it gets 30 miles to the gallon and justifying the purchase because your paid for car only gets 22 miles to the gallon.
That math don't add up any way you figure it.

Posted by Dirtdevil on 10-10-2013 12:30 AM:

The bb's work better than the pellets .. they will get further in.

I've dropped some out with one shot .. but it's just not enough umph to take game with .. and it's not even remotely legal to fur hunt with a bb gun .. is it ? lol

Posted by JPBlack on 10-10-2013 12:59 AM:

You gotta factor in availability of 22 ammo also, not sure bout the rest of the world but here theres about 2 boxes a month hit my town and store employees get the, you can get internet gouged stuff for 3 times shelf price, so its more logical to spend that hundred on a pellet rifle then 10 for 250 quality pellets

Posted by deschmidt27 on 10-10-2013 01:51 AM:

I used to use a Benjamin Marauder PCP air rifle in a .25 caliber. Muzzle velocity was 900 f.p.s. and it was plenty of rifle, to ethically kill any coon at the top of any tree, with one shot. I brought down many large coons, at the top of some very tall trees.

Fully pressurized it would shoot around 30 rounds before needing recharged. There was considerable drop over 50 yards, but with the use of a scope it was accurate and repeatable.

With all that said, it weighed a ton! Which is why I only used it for a couple seasons.

Posted by deschmidt27 on 10-10-2013 02:01 AM:

As far as sound is concerned, because I've heard many on this forum buy an air rifle and then complain that it's as loud as their .22... some people seem to not understand that most firearms are loud due to two sounds.

1. The muzzle blast, that can't be avoided in a "fire" arm.

2. The other sound that happens, virtually at the same instant is a miniature sonic boom or crack. That is because the speed of sound is 1,126 ft/s, and so if anything including a pellet exceeds 1,126 ft/s (like say an air rifle with a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/sec) there will be a crack.

That is why sub-sonic (meaning slower than 1,126 ft/sec) rounds, like CCI CBs, are much quieter. There is still the muzzle blast, but no sonic "crack".

That's another reason to buy a .25 caliber air rifle, as it will be sub-sonic (and therefore no muzzle blast and no "crack"), but with the added weight, have much greater energy.

Posted by Jeff Prince on 10-10-2013 05:07 AM:

I hunt with a benjamin 22 cal air rifle it is very quiet and anyone who thinks it wont easily kill a coon is welcome to come see. The only bad thing about it is that it is heavy.

Posted by prostockpat on 10-10-2013 05:54 AM:

quiet...no

i have the nitro whisper or whatever they call theirs.$195.00 air rifle!
so it has the FACTORY silencer on the end of the barrel,and its a joke.also heavy,with a bull type barrel.

also......like i posted above it will not hold a pattern.
won't stay in a paper plate at 60ft!!have shot well over 500 rounds threw it,and tried different type of pellets.

my advice;don't spend the money!
you can get .22 shells threw cheaperthandirt.com

Posted by deschmidt27 on 10-10-2013 02:08 PM:

There's absolutely no reason to ever get a "silencer" on an air rifle! A silencer's purpose is to knock-down the sound of the muzzle-blast, or the fiery explosion coming out of the end of the barrel. And of course there is no fiery explosion in an "air" rifle.

But a silencer will in no way (or at least it shouldn't) prevent that round (bullet, pellet, whatever) from breaking the sound barrier and therefore making a loud crack!

And yes, you can monitor cheaperthandirt.com, natchez, cabelas, etc, everyday like I do, but unless you're extremely lucky, all you will find are CB Match, or other subsonic or "plinking" rounds, all of which are very low velocity. And if you think a subsonic .22 pellet won't pack a wallup, neither will a subsonic .22 bullet coming out of a firearm. It's still .22 and it's still slow, no matter what kind of rifle shoots it. The reason those are target shooting or "plinking" rounds, is because you don't need any energy to put a hole in the paper. And the reason people use CB or CB Match rounds is becasue they're quiet. AND they're quiet becasue they are subsonic, and don't make the "crack" sound.

The .25 caliber pellet gun I used to shoot, was subsonic, but the heavier pellet increased the energy upon impact, making for a much better kill-shot. But to hold the air pressure, it had a large steel chamber in the stock, and the gun was terribly heavy to carry around. BUT, you could buy "ammo" (air and pellets) any day of the week!

Posted by Larry Atherton on 10-10-2013 03:00 PM:

The pellet guns with a silencer are illegal in Michigan.

Aim small miss small

Posted by oklared on 10-10-2013 03:06 PM:

WHAT ABOUT THE GAS OPERATED ONE'S, I HAD THOSE WHEN I WAS A KID AND THEY HAD POWER

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by deschmidt27 on 10-10-2013 06:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
The pellet guns with a silencer are illegal in Michigan.

As I've tried to explain (and I'm certainly not an expert) that seems like an oxymoron. They made a law to outlaw a configuration that doesn't do anything???

To better explain, let me use my .25 Marauder as an example. It was an air rifle, so no muzzle blast to silence. It's muzzle velocity was 900 fps, so sub-sonic and no "crack". That gun's action is all you really heard, other than a slight pfff sound, as the air chamber discharged.

Posted by JPBlack on 10-10-2013 07:32 PM:

Re: quiet...no

my advice;don't spend the money!
you can get .22 shells threw cheaperthandirt.com [/B][/QUOTE]1st good luck gettin any from that sorry place 2nd they are the highest priced place not to mention was THE VERY FIRST COMPANY TO START GOUGING during the gun scare, fact is, you have your oppinion on the 1 gun, others have an oppinion possible on several, either way to each their own

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 10-10-2013 11:09 PM:

What .22 rounds can you buy at cheaperthandirt ??? Powderless !!! LOL

"Please Note

We're sorry, this product is currently not in stock and can not be backordered. "

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds