UKC Forums
Show all 2 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Not hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928522239)

Posted by trevor0432 on 09-14-2019 02:00 PM:

Not hunting

I have a 4 year old that all of a sudden stopped hunting. Never had this dog do this before. He usually ranges out very well and gets the job done but not not so much. He did have lyme and his last checkup the levels went way down. That was a few months ago. Should I take him and have him checked again? Thanks.

'PR' Trevors Light Em Up Blaze HTX (Grandnite CH Tucker`s Boomer x Nite CH CanDew Blue Misty HTx)

'PR' Dreamers Blue Willow (Grantnite CH Ty and Hunters Big Boy Blue x PR Dozers Dreamer)

Posted by Pat Bizich on 09-14-2019 03:34 PM:

Trevor .If you have been trying to hunt in this heat last few nights that may be part of the problem. They can't take the heat . And what antibiotics was used and how long ? Some of these vets want to use amoxicillin and it does not work. And even with Doxycycline they don't run the correct regiment. So they will relapse pretty quickly if they were incorrectly treated.
Here is what I know.
The normal time of antibiotic treatment is a minimum 21 to 28 days . Doxy is the only antibiotic of choice right now that works.
If dog was showing symptoms the treatment period may or should be longer. Even then they do have relapses and have to be retreated through whole course again.
A lot of dogs never are the same after getting Lymes. And as I said they can't take the heat.
I have seen it happen in several now including my own.
It probably would be good idea to check blood again but if he acts himself on cool nites . May just be one of the things you got to live with now.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"