UKC Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Anyone got a positive thought on competition hunting? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928525049)

Posted by high ridge on 12-11-2019 02:30 AM:

Anyone got a positive thought on competition hunting?

I read all these mean dog and the sky falling new rule scenarios and I think my goodness why would anyone want to go to a hunt with all this bad going on.

I think UKC should close the doors when the patrons are keeping business away.

Plus, with the style of dogs we are packing to the hunts are mean go yonder hot nosed idiots we need a regulatory committee there euthanizing these animals so they don’t get their genetic impurity’s mixed in the true coondog pool.

I don’t blame any newcomers for not trying to get involved with all these negative things going on that must be happening on every cast every weekend in every state each year.

I keep waiting to hear a scenario like this.
4 dog cast. Dogs B,D, and C get struck in that order. Then dog A gets struck and immediately the stationary put on. Handler refuses to tree. Cast proceeds to dog A but on way to dog A , the other dogs get treed. As cast arrived at dog A it is evident he is not treed but is mating with a monkey. After trying to decide what to do with dog A the tree is dead on others. Cast arrives and dog B leaves just as soon as we get there and see the other 2 bayed on a pink elephant. How do we score the dog that leaves. Does he get minus just his tree or since we know he had to be running the same track can we get him minus both ways only if need be
I personally am plussing up all monkeys and pink elephants

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 12-11-2019 03:28 AM:

I need to do the math on actual numbers but... in all local hunts we hold at Seneca, all Oklahoma of Federation events this past year(3) and the UKC zone through our 4-States club there have been zero questions brought in and I do not believe any dogs scratched for fighting. Some for possums and some for squalling to early.
The sky is not falling 99% of hunts are great events, some of these people on here are definitely detrimental to bringing in new comers with all their negative post.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Vic Stoll on 12-11-2019 04:13 AM:

Just switch em and send em on. Universal cure for multiple issues

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Posted by T Felderman on 12-11-2019 04:26 AM:

The last UKC Hunt I went on was the most fun cast I had this year. We made 18 trees in 2 hours (same spot). Guide put us in coon. A couple 4 way splits, 3 way splits, just a fun time.

Posted by Dave Richards on 12-11-2019 05:00 AM:

Hunts

Billy, you have to consider the source of all this gloom and doom talk, some folks would complain about a FREE steak supper, even if it was tenderloin grilled to perfection all you can eat. Life is what we make it, the gloom and doomers have made it just that, while the rest of us see sunshine and roses. Lol. Dave

Posted by Ed Hillenbrand on 12-11-2019 11:14 AM:

A good experience

I just got back into competition hunting after a 15 year break. I was a little surprised at the changes. I hunted a couple hunts a month for the last year. Here are my observations:
1. No mean dogs. None!
2. No bad sportsmanship. None!
Maybe I was just lucky but I had a great time. Met some great hunters and saw some really nice hounds. I did not see many young hunters but the few that did compete were great. Tex finished to Grand but I look forward to starting a pup and doing it all over again.

Posted by yadkintar on 12-11-2019 12:09 PM:

I am going to have a blast ! Wear my hat sideways in all my final 4 pictures and steal everybody’s wemons hearts !

Keep um close boys lol.

Tar

Posted by wart on 12-11-2019 12:45 PM:

Hunts

The hunts were more aggressive 30 years ago than today imo because of the packing type dogs some hunters trying to make it a calling contest also only 1 bad experience was in 1981 at the old sale Barn in Seneca mo a young man my age was hunting a redbone male he won the cast treed the only coon but when we got back the master of hounds came out and asked him what dog he was hunting because he had entered a young treeing walker male and his father came to the club while we were hunting and told the master of hounds he was hunting the redbone it didn't matter to me but the other cast members weren't very happy

Posted by bigdiezel79 on 12-11-2019 02:10 PM:

Hunts

I have had a couple bad experiences over the years but i still love the hunts. I don’t get caught up in rule changes nor will i breed a dog to “fit the rules”. I will walk behind a coonhound and not worry with the rest. Do not let the handful of gloom and doom guys keep you from a hunt or cause you to go to a hunt with a predetermined idea of how things are going to go.

Jeremy Harris

Posted by Bill(Chew) on 12-11-2019 04:19 PM:

I've been hunting competition since the three hour hunts. I've seen a lot of changes to the rules, some I liked and some I didn't. Regardless what I think of the rule I go by it and use it as it was meant to be used.

A couple of hunts I have been on were horrible but by far most were fun, win or loose. I love to hunt competition if I have a dog that I feel can win by being the best on the cast. I don't go much with a dog that might luck up and win, but that's just me.

Most newcomers will enjoy competition hunting if they learn the rules and get some experience before getting stuck with a win at all cost cast member. Buddy hunts using nite hunt rules is a great way to learn and have fun while doing it.

Posted by Prime Time 29 on 12-11-2019 04:19 PM:

Re: A good experience

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hillenbrand
I just got back into competition hunting after a 15 year break. I was a little surprised at the changes. I hunted a couple hunts a month for the last year. Here are my observations:
1. No mean dogs. None!
2. No bad sportsmanship. None!
Maybe I was just lucky but I had a great time. Met some great hunters and saw some really nice hounds. I did not see many young hunters but the few that did compete were great. Tex finished to Grand but I look forward to starting a pup and doing it all over again.

I find that this is the case most of the time. I rarely ever have a bad cast that isn't enjoyable. Every once in awhile, you get a cast where someone wants to win at all costs. Overall, things have gotten much better over the years, in my opinion.

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Posted by rocky tanner on 12-11-2019 04:24 PM:

some of best Ive met was because of this board and coonhunting .....Including you Billy

Posted by Dave Richards on 12-11-2019 07:24 PM:

Rocky Tanner/Billy Carter

Both of you guys are first class, guys like you all make coon hunting fun, just like it is supposed to be. When I can't have fun competition hunting or pleasure hunting, I will just quit. I hunt for fun, it's a hobby not work, some folks just make it a job and take all the fun out of it, not me! Lol. Dsve

Posted by high ridge on 12-11-2019 07:49 PM:

That’s right Dave. When the fun is gone I will give my stuff away.

Posted by yadkintar on 12-11-2019 08:11 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
That’s right Dave. When the fun is gone I will give my stuff away.

I got over 40+ years of good memories in this sport. If everybody shows up that’s called me at our future hunts this old man is going to have a blast. I have said it on here before my time is up I wanted the young folks to see it like I seen it one more time and by golly I think it’s coming.

Tar

Posted by Will Walker on 12-12-2019 03:19 AM:

Alot of the negativity and accusations of cheating/ crooked handlers are normally the result of someone not knowing the rules. Knowledge of the rulebook usually fends off anything shady going on in a cast.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 12-12-2019 06:19 PM:

nyone got a positive thought on competition hunting?
I'm positive I've got to old and broke down to do it anymore!! Lol 😂

Posted by Kenneth Tavares on 12-12-2019 10:39 PM:

I’m positive if you do it enough, you will have good nights and bad nights.

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 12-14-2019 02:20 PM:

I honestly don’t remember the last time I was on a cast that was a complete train wreck . I think it was in the zones when we used 2 non hunting judges per cast and they just lost control by being soft with a couple seasoned handlers. Some casts have a rule interpretation discussion, or a possum being treed but no fights or arguing. I just look at each one as a new experience.

Posted by Chuck Allen on 12-15-2019 10:47 AM:

I enjoy hunting period , pleasure and competition , wife was very sick earlier this year but doing MUCH better now , when it comes to competition hunts , my hearing even with hearing aids is not good enough some nights for me it is a directional thing , noticed it hunting with my buddy Big Mike and my son Logan almost 17 years ago the first night we went hunting after coming home from Iraq in 2003 and it is not getting worse but it ain't getting no better either. I will still competition hunt some but will pleasure hunt a whole lot as well. I have not been on what I would call a really bad cast in a really long time.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 12-15-2019 11:24 AM:

Positive Thoughts

We just got done hosting the Oklahoma Youth State Championship. What a great group of youth! I've saw lots of smiles, kids having fun and the great parents and mentors that brought them out. The future is brighter than many know! Nurture the love of the outdoors and this sport anytime you get a chance, the kids are worth it!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 12-15-2019 02:58 PM:

I just witnessed two world champions drive 6 and 8 hours to meet up and hunt against each other for nothing more than bragging rights.