UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 41 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928275032)

Posted by nc1484 on 10-07-2012 10:41 PM:

Competition hunting. (UKC, PKC, AKC)

The hunts, titles, trophies, and money that i chased all those years was an absolute waste. I look at all the money that i spent in gas, entries, and few hotel bills and i feel like an idiot. Wearing out a truck I'm the meantime. You have to love it anymore especially with gas nearing $4 a gallon. I don't understand how nor why people do it.

Posted by CSnowgren on 10-07-2012 11:19 PM:

They have their reasons. But, I agree with you. If folks are willing to part with their money, someone will always be willing to take it. I wonder what kind of set-ups folks could have if they put all of that money into quality feed and a quality kennel set-up. Certainly not implying that they don't but I mean really.....can you imagine?

Posted by rghnd123 on 10-07-2012 11:31 PM:

Well

You have a job to make money and a hobby to spend it.

Posted by LIL-E on 10-07-2012 11:36 PM:

I do it because I enjoy the fellowship and it is fun to me.

Posted by Frankenstein on 10-07-2012 11:51 PM:

Re: Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC

quote:
Originally posted by nc1484
The hunts, titles, trophies, and money that i chased all those years was an absolute waste. I look at all the money that i spent in gas, entries, and few hotel bills and i feel like an idiot. Wearing out a truck I'm the meantime. You have to love it anymore especially with gas nearing $4 a gallon. I don't understand how nor why people do it.

I done the same thing until I kept tract of my exspenses one year, then I quit doing it. With gas prices today it's definately a wealthy man's sport.
Figured out family is more important.

Posted by nc1484 on 10-07-2012 11:52 PM:

Yeah but i find allot more fun and fellowship in pleasure hunting around the country or at home. Good times with good friends. Especially at home there's less cost in it and allot less heartache. Plus you don't have to worry about arguing. I have meet allot of good people competition hunting but I'd say I met twice the crooks.

Posted by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 12:06 AM:

Plus competition hunting is unethical. I have hunted with the "best competition" dogs in the country. During hunts and pleasure hunting. I've wore out big time dogs pleasure hunting. But the last hunt i was in opened my eyes. I had beat the bitch I drew that night many times. The other two in the cast was average dogs. But every time we turned loose that night she went left and mine went right basically. They both struck and treed their own coon on every drop, but because she got to her tracks first almost every time,she won because of the strike points. She was in her home and went to the bucket every time and mine went and struck and treed his own. She won and i was $400 poorer overall. Next night i drew her again. It rained hard and mine treed the only coon of the night while she made 3 slick as glass. I won with 225+. She won the two night hunt overall and the money, shocker, box, trophies and "glory". How is that ethical???? It's not. It's luck. It's a bucket dog. It's disadvantage.

Posted by Houndologist on 10-08-2012 12:08 AM:

Why i do it

You can't take the money with you when your time is up. Money only has one purpose, that little line between your birth date and the date you died is your life time spent above ground. i do what makes me happiest, God,family,those i can help and then it's Norm's time.jmo

Posted by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 12:14 AM:

But it's not just about the money. It's the heartache of disadvantages, crooks, the ethical part, and whatever else you want to throw in there. And also I'm not talking about doing it ever so often. I'm talking every weekend, or every week, all year, "chasing" the hunts. Putting aside the pleasure of the sport.

Posted by GA DAWG on 10-08-2012 12:38 AM:

Who really gives a crap???? If you can. Go for it. If not. Stay home with mama!

Posted by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 12:56 AM:

Well not bragging or anything but I'm by no means broke and could take up competition hunting full time if i chose......i just think it's a waste of money and time. If you have the urge to go and you want it to be your "hobby" then more power to ya. I'm just not that much of a die hard. How about those of you that don't consider it a "hobby"???

Posted by JiM on 10-08-2012 01:13 AM:

Some people play golf, some fish out of $40,000 bass boats. Others bowl, gamble on the horses or haul there kids all over the country to play travel ball. And some hunt the hunts. The one thing they all have in common is that there will always be some numbnuts going on to them about the waste of money, time, etc.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Posted by vernonsdream on 10-08-2012 01:17 AM:

You aren't fooling anybody. It ain't about the money now? You got a bad beat and it happens. But don't make it sound foolish just because you're upset. Don't get me wrong, I would be too but I think you'll be back at it

Posted by cody jaster on 10-08-2012 01:24 AM:

If all you do is coon hunt your in good shape I think! Problem is I have way too many Hobbys. I coon hunt, deer hunt both with rifle and bow, dove hunt, and duck hunt. Plus, I raise cattle and farm here on the ranch. Then I go to my real job, surveying. Some how I still always find time for God first and family. The money is always there and you find time to do what you what to. The only thing for me is I'm getting old and my body don't like all that.

Posted by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 01:30 AM:

For starters this happened two years ago. Secondly i didn't get beat. I won Saturday night and especially as far as having the coondog of the bunch. Just didn't win by the set of rules on Friday. And finally its not in any shape form or fashion about being beat. I've been beat, I've been ****** out of many hunts, I've won a bunch along with a pile of cash and so many trophies i didn't want and gave the things back to be redone for other hunts. I threw out that example to show you how unethical it is.

Posted by Andy Miller on 10-08-2012 01:33 AM:

jim

i have 2 agree with jim .........an i dont drink .......chase women .....get in a bar fight ..... i do it b cus its a hobby

Posted by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 01:38 AM:

I'm with you Cody. I'm a farmer and a hunter and hunt everything. From bear to squirrel. From goose to dove. I love hunting and always will. I used to be a die hard competition hunter when i was young but i guess i grew out of it. It means nothing to me to go to a hunt anymore. For example: Grand American used to be competition weekend for me. Now every year i go and cook seafood with some guys down there eat like hogs, coon hunt, rabbit hunt in the day. Have a great time. Allot better than spending a pile of money at a hunt and win what? A trophy?

Posted by jawscardodger on 10-08-2012 02:41 AM:

Re: jim

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Miller
i have 2 agree with jim .........an i dont drink .......chase women .....get in a bar fight ..... i do it b cus its a hobby

Coon hunting will keep you out of trouble. Not that I would know

Posted by smokin-1-mo on 10-08-2012 03:51 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Some people play golf, some fish out of $40,000 bass boats. Others bowl, gamble on the horses or haul there kids all over the country to play travel ball. And some hunt the hunts. The one thing they all have in common is that there will always be some numbnuts going on to them about the waste of money, time, etc.

RIGHT ON JIM,I SUGGEST IF A GUY IS NOT HAPPY WITH IT THEY SHOULD QUIT AND TAKE UP FISHING OR SOMETHING.....

Posted by sox12 on 10-08-2012 03:52 AM:

its cost a lot of money to do anything you enjoy hunting or anything else.look at our goverment they have a hobby spending our money and they enjoy it.

george

Posted by Slowpoke 2012 on 10-08-2012 04:26 AM:

I like the comp hunting, it keeps me from hunting by myself all the time. And I've meet some really great people. Plus I like watching the other breeds of dogs go. I'm well aware I'll never get rich doing it, and that's O.K

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Posted by jculler8 on 10-08-2012 06:05 AM:

Re: Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC

quote:
Originally posted by nc1484

One of the many reasons I enjoy the hunts is because I can travel all over to see how my dog will hunt in different areas. I also get to hunt new woods and that's a lot better than hunting the same spots at home every night.

If you are upset bout bein beat by high scoring dog, go hunt the other 2 registries, that's why they are there. Plain and simple you didn't win because your dog wasn't quick enough when the coons were moving. Over the 2 nites how many coons did the other dog tree? If your dog was that good, it woulda went and treed 3 or 4 while the other dog slicked 3 or 4 if you really think about it. ESP in UKC, usually 1 coon isn't going to win you anything at a big hunt...

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by Joseph A Clark on 10-08-2012 10:40 AM:

Competition VS pleasure hunting soely depends on individual preference. I recently just envolved in the competition side of the sport. I've pleasure hunted my whole life and it will always be my passion. With that being said I do enjoy going to local events and talking with fellow coon hunters etc. I see nothing wrong with chase'n a title if that's what you like. Heck who wouldn't like to have a GrNiteCh etc? On the flip side of that I do think the competition circuit is a little shadey, but it's not UKC's fault! It's our on fault. Every time we let somebody withdraw a aggressive dog or get away with cheating we're taking the honor out of the " honor rules " and by doing so we are telling the younger generation it's ok to bend the rules or cheat and so it just trickles down untill it becomes the norm. I do enjoy the HTX because it's one dog on his own, pass or fail, real simple, no excuses! It is my opinion that is why so many die hard competition hunters don't like the HTX hunts. Because there's no slick calling and a " me to " dog what pass a HTX! I personally don't want any title I don't deserve, what good would a empty title mean? Sure I'd like a " earned " title, but my passion, joy, is really hunting alone, with one dog so I can really appreciate the way the dog works etc with out any distractions! But everybody's different, that's what makes things interesting... Just like a good pot of gumbo!

Posted by JB PITCREW on 10-08-2012 11:54 AM:

Amen!

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Home of Previous #1 Reproducing English Coonhound 15.49%
GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Briar Valley Nite Prowler "semen stored”
GRNTCH CH Dee's Nite Prowling Blitz "semen stored”
'PR' Northridge JoJoe's Blue Thunder
'PR' Northridge Icky’s Old Sandy

ENGLISH HOUNDS SINCE 1969....If you breed for papers instead of traits,You deserve what you end up with...Kelley Stagner

RIP........................................
GRNTCH GRCH Briar Valley Nite Prowler
GRNTCH GRCH Wilcox's Thunder JoJoe
GRNTCH GRCH Northridge Red Loopy
GRNTCH GRCH Northridge JoJo's Feebie
GRNTCH CH Dee's Nite Prowling Blitz
GRNTCH CH Northridge Jo Joe’s Icky

Posted by SCOTT ENGLE on 10-08-2012 02:43 PM:

i've been coonhunting for many, many years! i still love it! i enjoy going to the hunts! great sport!

GRAND NITE CHAMPION
BOOGAR HOLLOW MOJO
513-284-4874