UKC Forums
Show all 17 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Got Fleas? Cheap and easy way to kill them INSTANTLY! (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=375581)

Posted by MIBLACKDOG on 09-11-2010 09:53 PM:

Got Fleas? Cheap and easy way to kill them INSTANTLY!

Just thought I would post what we use to bath dogs in to kill fleas instantly. Wash them using murphy oil soap that can be bought at the dollar store or wherever. This will instanly kill anything that is on your dog you can literally watch them roll off dead. Also after that the bayertree and shrub trick seems to work good to keep them gone for good.

Posted by croatankid on 09-12-2010 01:32 AM:

i understand that most soaps will kill fleas, i might be wrong. also, i've been thinking about trying some OCTOGON soap. i think its got lie in it. in case you don't know, all old home made soap had lie in it. a form of acid. if octagon soap has any lie in it, then it should also kill any ticks the dog has it.

Posted by chadf on 09-12-2010 06:21 AM:

Actually Lye is a strong base the opposite of acid. I think this would be to strong and strip off all of the dogs natural oils. Like stated most any soap will kill the fleas on a dog but that's only about 10% of the total flea population.

Posted by alloutdoors2 on 09-12-2010 06:37 AM:

Re: Got Fleas? Cheap and easy way to kill them INSTANTLY!

quote:
Originally posted by MIBLACKDOG
Just thought I would post what we use to bath dogs in to kill fleas instantly. Wash them using murphy oil soap that can be bought at the dollar store or wherever. This will instanly kill anything that is on your dog you can literally watch them roll off dead. Also after that the bayertree and shrub trick seems to work good to keep them gone for good.

MIBLACKDOG i read on another message board that the new bayer tree and shrub now has nitrogen in it and that is not good for dogs. I have been using the older stuff but you might want to check on the new stuff before you put it on your dogs.

Posted by Regan H on 09-12-2010 06:42 AM:

lye soap

when I was a little kid I remember my mom makeing lye soap just like granny on the beverly hillbillies. when I went to the army in 67 they gave us a bar of lye soap to bath with and to wash our clothes with good for everthing.

Posted by Regan H on 09-12-2010 06:48 AM:

lye soup

come to thing about it,,,it didn't taste good ether!!

Posted by Wicked on 09-13-2010 02:34 AM:

Murphys Oil Soap

This Soap will Kill your fleas instantly no waiting 5 minutes When I was little a vet seen my mom buying some hartz flea stuff and flea collars and he told her to not waste her money and to buy the Murphys oil soap and she could use it on her Poodle and it would do a way better job and its all natual and wouldn't hurt the dog . So we did and we have since and it will kill them instantly no waiting so if you have fleas and need help get ya some its awesome and you wont regret it !

All the long nights in the woods and all the miles traveled there will never be another . GR F CH CH PR WICKED'S CRUDE JUDE R.I.P (MY GIRL) .

Home of some National Show Hounds and Real Coondawg's : Thank you to everyone for all the support !

Posted by l.lyle on 09-13-2010 03:01 AM:

Lye like Red Devil lye in a can will kill human or animal if injested.

A vet I used to work for used a half inch of strong liquid soap and 1 inch of pineoil or pine sol in a quart bottle and filled the rest with water to make it spread out better over the dog. Don't use pine sol any where around a cat. Don't even let them lick the cage it was washed out with.

Posted by Wicked on 09-13-2010 03:50 AM:

btt

Murphys Oil Soap
This Soap will Kill your fleas instantly no waiting 5 minutes When I was little a vet seen my mom buying some hartz flea stuff and flea collars and he told her to not waste her money and to buy the Murphys oil soap and she could use it on her Poodle and it would do a way better job and its all natual and wouldn't hurt the dog . So we did and we have since and it will kill them instantly no waiting so if you have fleas and need help get ya some its awesome and you wont regret it !

GR F CH CH "PR " WICKED'S CRUDE
JUDE (Small but Mighty)
PR WICKED'S TROUBLE MAKER
CLASS AND BREED AUTUMN OAKS 09

All the long nights in the woods and all the miles traveled there will never be another . GR F CH CH PR WICKED'S CRUDE JUDE R.I.P (MY GIRL) .

Home of some National Show Hounds and Real Coondawg's : Thank you to everyone for all the support !

Posted by skyblu on 09-13-2010 04:11 AM:

Clean garden for fleas to play in?

Just killing the fleas ON THE DOG is not solving the flea problem if you have one. Fleas only spend a small portion of their lives on the dog. So it's important to have a complete erradication plan. Tree & Shrub is an important tool because it turns the dog into a flea klling machine. By the way, if you find it difficult to get the T&S through the coat onto the dog's skin you can dilute it with a little rubbing alcohol to make it thinner - this is per my VET. I was complaining that T&S didn't seem to be working as well - the rubbing alcohol corrected the situation immediately.

Posted by Steve Gilland on 09-13-2010 01:47 PM:

I seen a guy put Avon skin so soft on a dog that was infested with fleas and there was literly a pile of fleas all around the dog dead. It killed them instantly plus the dog smelles like a million bucks. That stuff must have something that bugs hate because it works on misquitoes.

Posted by Wicked on 09-13-2010 01:51 PM:

Wow

Steve,
Skin so Soft really? I've heard about the Mosquitos before but not the fleas Thats interesting Thanks for Sharing.

Posted by Steve Gilland on 09-13-2010 01:58 PM:

Re: Wow

quote:
Originally posted by Wicked
Steve,
Skin so Soft really? I've heard about the Mosquitos before but not the fleas Thats interesting Thanks for Sharing.

I've never seen so many fleas on a dog in my life. He just sprayed it on the dog and rubbed it in and the fleas were running for there life. They were all over the ground around the dog.

Posted by cedarhillkennel on 09-13-2010 05:26 PM:

DAWN dish detergant will kill fleas also and is harmless to your pets skin or coat

cedar hill kennels bo's tank
cedar hill kennels roxy
cedar hill kennels ace's chloe
Never ask a man what kind of dog he has. If he has a hound he'll tell you, if he does not, you don't want to shame him by asking.

Posted by l.lyle on 09-14-2010 12:52 AM:

Before anybody gets too excited, take a handfull of "dead" fleas and put them on white paper, cover with clear glass bowl, check again in an hr or two and see haw many are still dead.

Posted by Bluedogman on 09-14-2010 12:55 AM:

Aww man! Don't bust that bubble!

Posted by New Site Cooner on 09-14-2010 02:34 AM:

fleas

I've been lucky I guess... I worm my dogs and give 0.05 ml.
ivomec twice a month. As long I do this I have no problems..
They are penned on dirt , and their sleeping quarters in under my shop. It's 16 ft. X 20 ft. Hurt my knee awhile back & got of routine
and they got fleas , Washed them down good with a flea killer
and started back on schedule with wormer and ivomec....
NO MORE FLEAS!!!!!

JMO I hope it will work for you too...

I am livntolaugh

james