UKC Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Curs and Feists (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- ground hog hunt with dogs (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=438433)

Posted by blackdog_star on 07-16-2011 01:30 PM:

ground hog hunt with dogs

is there any body out their that has a good ground hog dog for sale if so please post thanks

Posted by NKY_FeistHunter on 07-16-2011 02:03 PM:

My Mullins Feist hate ground hogs. They will bay, tree, or kill one in short order.

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 07-16-2011 04:03 PM:

Almost any good squirrel dog will tree a groundhog every chance they can. Here in Illinois, the coyotes keep the groundhogs scarce. I have seen dogs running loose that will lay for hours near a groundhog den and wait until the groundhog is far enough from his hole, then catch him. Groundhogs probably fight harder than coon.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Posted by dpetty on 07-17-2011 04:35 AM:

If you want good ground hog dogs go with a terrier I think the patterdale are small enough but mean enough to clean them out, I hunt Jagdterriers and they are a bit big for groundhog dens. If I keep getting calls in town to get rid of them I am thinking of patterdales myself. I will say they do cost.

Posted by CCR on 07-17-2011 03:50 PM:

We've got an old Jack Russell that is dynamite on anything that goes to ground. Find somebody that hunts them (or Border Terriers) they will work good.

https://www.facebook.com/crosscheckcatahoulas

Posted by moodyhound on 07-29-2011 06:27 PM:

Here's some of my Treeing Curs and Treeing Feists on a groundhog a couple of months ago. I came home and found my pups treed with a groundhog up a cherry tree in the hay field.

KENTUCKY TREE DOGS

You can't beat stupid out of a dog.

Posted by blackdog_star on 07-30-2011 01:25 PM:

dogs

good looking pic if u wont to get ride of any of them let me know thanks

Posted by scottyotm on 11-15-2011 07:45 AM:

Some good info on patterdales here.

http://patterdaleterrier.info/

Posted by The Brigmans on 11-16-2011 03:06 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by moodyhound
I came home and found my pups treed with a groundhog up a cherry tree in the hay field.

You came home and found them treed? Really?

You can see the leash in the pic where you hung the ground hog up.

Michael, Jan & William Brigman

"The color of the dog doesn't matter to us, we just like to hunt."

Posted by The Brigmans on 11-16-2011 03:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by scottyotm
Some good info on patterdales here.

http://patterdaleterrier.info/

I watched the video, those are some tough little dogs. But it looked like the hunters caused a lot more damage than the badger did.

Posted by scottyotm on 11-16-2011 05:05 PM:

Ya that day for sure. But that badger was huge and had been digging the farm up for years. Farmer was happy he was gone.

Posted by The Brigmans on 11-16-2011 06:05 PM:

Scottyotm,
About ten years ago I was coon hunting with some guys in Van, TX (East TX) and our 4 dogs bayed on the edge of a large pond. When we got there we found a flat bottom boat, out of the water, and turned upside down. The dogs were baying around the boat and it was obvious that something was under there. When we flipped the boat over it was a badger! Once the dogs got it there was little we could do. It was a female, probably 15 lbs I'm guessing. None of us, nor the land owner, or anyone else for that matter, had ever seen a badger in East TX. We still have no idea where she came from. It was quite a thrill.

Michael

Posted by scottyotm on 11-16-2011 09:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by The Brigmans
Scottyotm,
About ten years ago I was coon hunting with some guys in Van, TX (East TX) and our 4 dogs bayed on the edge of a large pond. When we got there we found a flat bottom boat, out of the water, and turned upside down. The dogs were baying around the boat and it was obvious that something was under there. When we flipped the boat over it was a badger! Once the dogs got it there was little we could do. It was a female, probably 15 lbs I'm guessing. None of us, nor the land owner, or anyone else for that matter, had ever seen a badger in East TX. We still have no idea where she came from. It was quite a thrill.

Michael

Sounds like fun!

Posted by blackdog_star on 11-17-2011 09:13 AM:

video

that is the best video i have seen in a long time takes me back to when i was a boy running the hills of wv god i miss thoes days best times of my life wer spent with my dogs

Posted by moodyhound on 11-18-2011 08:49 PM:

quote:

Yep, I came home and found the pups treed on the groundhog. I then shot it out. When the pups killed it, I took a leash and hung it up in the tree to work the pups on it for a little while. The pics I posted were taken after I had hung the ground hog back up. I can only assume by your comments that you either don't work with hunting dogs, or at least don't train pups.

KENTUCKY TREE DOGS

Posted by The Brigmans on 11-19-2011 01:12 AM:

quote:
I can only assume by your comments that you either don't work with hunting dogs, or at least don't train pups.

LOL And I can only assume by your comments that you don't know me. If you did, you'd know that I've raised, trained, and titled more coon dogs in the past twenty years than you've probably ever been to the woods with. And you would also know that the older I get, I find greater pleasure in squirrel hunting with friends rather than winning UKC and PKC competition hunts on a national level with hounds.

Next time try not to be so vague. When your comments contradict your photos it makes people skeptical.

Michael

Posted by moodyhound on 11-19-2011 02:13 AM:

quote:
LOL And I can only assume by your comments that you don't know me. If you did, you'd know that I've raised, trained, and titled more coon dogs in the past twenty years than you've probably ever been to the woods with. And you would also know that the older I get, I find greater pleasure in squirrel hunting with friends rather than winning UKC and PKC competition hunts on a national level with hounds.

Next time try not to be so vague. When your comments contradict your photos it makes people skeptical.

Michael

I didn't really think it was necessary to explain any more than I did. The photos were of my pups on a groundhog that they treed and killed. Even if the pics were taken afterwards when they were being worked on the dead groundhog. It was still one they treed. I really didn't know there were people policing the pictures being posted checking them for accuracy. I would have thought in your many years of dog training, you might have used a leash to hang up the game for the pups to tree on. Must be a regional thing. Congratulations on 20 years of dog training. I've been at it about 30 years myself. I have titled several dogs myself, but its really not my thing. I prefer pup training.

KENTUCKY TREE DOGS

Posted by The Brigmans on 11-19-2011 02:42 AM:

quote:
I really didn't know there were people policing the pictures being posted checking them for accuracy.

No one is "policing" anything. It was simply an observation. Good day, sir.

Posted by raider54 on 11-21-2011 07:04 PM:

quote:

OOOooooops!