UKC Forums
Show all 18 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Silent Tree Dog (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928500664)

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-23-2018 03:56 PM:

Silent Tree Dog

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? I have a pup that will bark every breath when treed with another dog. You couldn't ask for a better tree dog. And she is not barking at the other dog, she is barking up the tree. If you tie the other dog way back, she continues to tree
But by herself, she will trail and open on track but then shut up and the Garmin will show her treed. If you walk into her, she will be sitting at the base of a tree looking up and will have a coon. If you pet/encourage her she will start treeing/barking. I have never seen anything like it.

Posted by georgef072007 on 02-23-2018 04:05 PM:

Kitty does that that every now and then since she had pups, I have spent the winter trying to get her out of it, she is a lot better now. I have been tying her back and shooting the coon out and not let her touch it, then drag her away kicking and screaming so to speak.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Posted by dean jamerson on 02-23-2018 04:16 PM:

Had one that would do the samebthing, she was a chewer, have the whole side of the tree stipped of bark. Sad part she almost always had a coon, but worthless.

Posted by 2nd Mac on 02-23-2018 04:27 PM:

I had one the same way. He had a few other quirks also. I think someone had over corrected him on several issues. He would also eat a stranger up if he wasn’t dressed to go hunting.

Posted by ItsOlMander on 02-23-2018 04:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
Had one that would do the samebthing, she was a chewer, have the whole side of the tree stipped of bark. Sad part she almost always had a coon, but worthless.

i had a male pup like this... natural easy starter, straight, real good nose, quick on the track, deadly accurate. hed hit the tree and tree like hell for a few minutes and then he would shut down and start chewing. he would have all the wood ate down and youd have to walk in to him using the tracker (before garmin)... every once in awhile you could hear him whining as he was chewing... i sold him to a guy that was going to break him of it- hunting him in a cage type muzzle... i dont know if it worked or not lol

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-23-2018 05:24 PM:

Mine doesn't chew and doesn't locate or hit a few tree barks. She just trails in and sits down.

Posted by elvis on 02-23-2018 05:40 PM:

tone/bump her a bit and see how she reacts.

Posted by Doug Robinson on 02-23-2018 05:54 PM:

Re: Silent Tree Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? I have a pup that will bark every breath when treed with another dog. You couldn't ask for a better tree dog. And she is not barking at the other dog, she is barking up the tree. If you tie the other dog way back, she continues to tree
But by herself, she will trail and open on track but then shut up and the Garmin will show her treed. If you walk into her, she will be sitting at the base of a tree looking up and will have a coon. If you pet/encourage her she will start treeing/barking. I have never seen anything like it.

Richard I had one like that she was fairly tight on track, super fast track dog, Garmin would show her ahead of other dogs and first at tree but she would look up and not bark until other dogs hit the tree. Alone she would do same as your dog. We hunted her with good clean solid dogs and after a couple years she started treeing good on her own. Don't tone or shock her if you have the patience keep hunting her it seems she needed a confidence booster and once the pattern was formed he was compelled to tree good on her own.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-23-2018 06:14 PM:

Oh my goodness, a couple of years? I sure don't have that kind of patience.

Posted by Chris Snyder on 02-23-2018 07:09 PM:

Re: Silent Tree Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

Maybe shes coming into heat? That old excuse works any other time a female doesnt perform.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-23-2018 07:22 PM:

I have one that was acting like an idiot last week and did come in heat Sun night. But this one just want out of heat. So that is out.

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-23-2018 07:37 PM:

My female did the exact same thing but finally just grew out of it..I would think your dog will do the same

Posted by Hoosier on 02-23-2018 08:19 PM:

Redbone Genetics

Richard,

I had a young dog years ago that would do that. This is long before the garmins would tell you where he was at. He would scald a track into a tree, locate and then SILENCE! He would be sitting there just looking up and as you say almost always had a coon. He was also a redbone...that's before I knew better. LOL

He did not last long at my house. There was a reason I named him PSHYCHO!!!

Posted by novicane65 on 02-23-2018 10:08 PM:

Just sounds like a pup to me. One night do good next needs a bullet

Posted by georgef072007 on 02-23-2018 11:40 PM:

I'm glad to hear that other people have had dogs doing similar things as mine. Maybe she's just going through a phase cause she certainly isn't a pup..

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Posted by thomasg on 02-24-2018 01:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
tone/bump her a bit and see how she reacts.
wrong wrong wrong lol back before we had all this tree power what you are describing was common . what we did is cut a keen hickory switch . give the dog a good petting along its back and sides speaking and giving encouraging words in a soothing type voice.slowly replace the petting with short gentle cracks with switch . keep up the encouraging word and increase the switch in faster stinging type of motions while keeping a grip on the collar . we use to call this warming one up.i have seen this work many times . key is to insight excitement without dog think it is being punished.i was blessed i guess hunting with older gentle men who knew how to train hounds .believe it our not in the old days most tree dogs around here were man made.didnt have many to chose from and you did the best with what you could get your hands on here in the hill country.

Posted by Cyoung on 02-24-2018 02:22 AM:

I had a female do this one time as a pup but she only done it one but i have a squirrel dog that will not run on track and will not bark up a tree win u see him treed on zhe garmin go to him and he will have the meat just about ever time

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Posted by MUSKY on 02-24-2018 03:24 AM:

Hunt her with a me too dog that will back her up

Home of:
A couple old plugs