UKC Forums
Show all 12 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- English (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=49)
-- Briar Creek hounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928309496)

Posted by hiball1 on 03-20-2013 11:34 PM:

Briar Creek hounds

What are the good and the bad out of the briar creek line of dogs? Mouth,accuracy,closed or open on track ect......any info would greatly be appreciated. What's yalls opinion on line breeding briar creek dogs?????? Looking forward to yalls input ....thanks!!!!

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 03-21-2013 03:12 PM:

I have hunted with a lot of Briar Creek dogs and I sometime outcross my strain with Briar Creek dogs. I have definate opinions of the line and I have hunted with several of Jim's dogs. I like them well enough to outcross with them, something I would not do with a lot of strains of English. They are good in the Midwest.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Posted by redman555 on 03-21-2013 03:15 PM:

I have a female out of briar creek Dr. Evil she is dead silent on track triple chop locate a good tree dog fairly accurate

Posted by John Sisley on 03-21-2013 06:34 PM:

I raised and trained two, one out of Huck a Buck and one out of Zeb. The one out of Huck a Buck I still have and I think enough of him that I will bury him when I am done with him. He was a natural, has a good nose and very accurate. Mouth is only average but carries well. Not a perfect dog by any means but I sure like him, he is the best dog I have ever owned.

The one out of Zeb was pretty much dead silent. He has a big mouth and is an above average dog. I gave him to a friend that needed a dog and he likes him.

I would have no objection to raising another Briar Creek dog, If you are considering line breeding or getting one I say go for it, I think you will be glad you did.

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 03-22-2013 02:13 PM:

I hunted with Huckabuck and I remember Jim sitting on my couch asking my opinion on whether he should buy him back or not (his name didn't say Briar Creek). Jim took my advise, bought Huck back and the rest is history (look at the English Historical Reproducer's List). Someone could ask Dave Minson on the litter Huck came out of, Dave told me some of them were silent. Cabin Creek Rowdy wasn't silent, I have video proof of it.

The last litter of English pups I raised were out of Zeb. One was tight, the other opens real well. I reckon if I get time today, I will post videos of both dogs. I believe they will impress the hard to impress.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Posted by hiball1 on 03-22-2013 03:59 PM:

I just purchased a pup out of Chrome and a half sister to Chrome (both are out of Zeb)and I'm just curious as to know what y'all thought. I talked to Jim Ridge and he seemed to like it. I can think of several half brother x sister crosses that have worked very well!!!! Thanks for the input!!!!!

Posted by dts on 03-25-2013 03:13 AM:

I have a nice young female, going on three years old now...out of briar creek bandit, which should be a half brother to zeb...really nice young hound, can be very independent at times, but will back other dogs when correct as well...opens well on track when she gets it first, can be pouty on track if anthor dog opens first...has an average volume tree mouth...good brains, good stay put tree dog, and the accuracy is well above average....

Posted by rscott on 03-25-2013 09:13 PM:

I have hunted against Jim & Chris's line of dogs sense the mid 90's and they do and will win in competition. I bought a female of Zeb really liked her started young head full of sense, small dog, pretty tight on ground unless it was super hot track. Sold her for a good price or she would still be here. The reason I bought her I was tired of getting butt spanked in the hunts by Briar Creek dogs.......

Posted by dts on 03-27-2013 07:43 PM:

btt

Posted by Randy Howard on 03-28-2013 04:00 AM:

A little Briar creek Blood, Bottom

I have known Jim for quite sometime, has always had some nice hounds and Good to deal with, honest man.
Here a pic of my 17mo. Redtick tonight with his daddy Big'n with the meat, this young dog was treeing squirrels at 5-6mo's by himself and having them, he's a pleasure to hunt, good handle, brains and desire, and usually fairly accurate and gettin better, and doesn't need help doing it..

PKC CH County Line Big'N, Natural (RIP) Independent.
County Line Sod Buster (Big'n x Bev)$ Brains, Accurate a Pleasure to hunt..
County Line Alittle Ambraw Pepper(Big'n x Jenny)
Line bred Pups Buster x Pepper 12/09/16
Working to rebuild some of the old Ambraw blood line.
(618) 214-1695

LUCK-Is when opportunity & Preperation Meet

Posted by abnsct on 03-28-2013 11:45 AM:

The line of briar creek that I have hunted with goes back to briar creek Louie and IMO opinion they are medium nosed and good on the tree and very well mannered dogs both in the box and in the yard at the tree. She is a speed demon for sure I have yet to find a dog that can drive a track the way she does. good on tree I wouldn't call her a hard tree as i say a hard tree dog is belly on tree trying to climb she will be right there normaly a couple feet away. i have fun with mine and run mostly bear with a few cat in there as well also a briar creek dog by the name of Icon just won southern English days and cleaned house while he was down there 1550 two night total.

Posted by MikeR on 03-31-2013 12:47 PM:

I've owned several BC hounds and have hunted with quite a few others have owned.

I liked the older generation BC dogs like Rowdy & Huck a Buck much better than the newer generation BC dogs.

Zeb, Rat and Dr. Evil tend to produce offspring that are pretty tight mouthed or silent and from what I've seen tend to start much later than a lot of lines. Not my style of dog.

GrNiteCh Ch Oak Branch's Black Bird Star
Wipeout Chesapeake Piper