UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=)
-- New program being developed: Nosework (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928262610)

Posted by rosebud81592 on 08-07-2012 03:15 PM:

New program being developed: Nosework

Watch the video's on Nosework! This program is currently being developed for titling dogs in the UKC. http://leerburg.com/noseworkfoundation.htm#!vidpopup

12 X Alt BIMBS, 4 x Alt RBIMBS, 9 X HSIT, URX, UROC, UCD, UCH D'Lano's Guns N'Roses, CGC, TDI, TT, WAC, RE, BN, UDC VC, AKC CD, APDT RL3, AOE-L1, L2 & L-3, ASCA ODX, CW-SR', ODC BROM (aka Raney)

Warlord's Khaos v Whitedheim, WAC, CGC' (UKC pointed) (2-27-2007 to 1-5-2013)

Daker Drago, CGC

Posted by Annette on 08-07-2012 06:16 PM:

Great news! If you haven't been introduced to nose work, there are a lot of videos on youtube to watch. The dogs absolutely LOVE it!

Posted by SueM on 08-07-2012 06:25 PM:

I was coming here to ask if this was true. AWESOME!!!! My Lab & I are having a blast with Nosework.

Posted by ktstoyles on 08-07-2012 11:17 PM:

nose work

Yea this is great !

www.caninehealth.ca
Animal Care Worker - Specialization in Wildlife - Georgian College
Personal Trainer BPE CPT
www.trainingwithkatie.com
home to:
Ch Lakilanni One Fine Morning - top ten finalist
URO2,GRCh Lakilanni Paint it Black

Posted by Dobepaws on 08-09-2012 07:00 PM:

Re: New program being developed: Nosework

quote:
Originally posted by rosebud81592
Watch the video's on Nosework! This program is currently being developed for titling dogs in the UKC. http://leerburg.com/noseworkfoundation.htm#!vidpopup

Did you get the DVD? I am trying to get some feedback on it. My dogs love it, hope to get my ORT in September and our club is putting on an clinic in October.

Am-CH/Int'l-Ch/UKC #7 Top Ten 2009, Total Dog Best in Show 2010/Multi BIMBS/GrCh/AGI/RO3 San Rafael's The Enemy Below RE CGC CD "Ruger"
U-CH/CD/RO3,AGI Lyndobe's Head Of The Class CGC, CDX, RAE, WAC "Heady"

Posted by Annette on 08-09-2012 07:29 PM:

The DVD is much more systematic than NASWC's training but it covers very, very little. It would be great for toy motivated dogs but probably wouldn't work for dogs with less stellar dispositions.

Posted by CNSaul on 08-20-2012 05:23 AM:

Nosework DVD

I recently purchased and viewed the Ramsey DVDs. I would encourage anyone interested in nosework to purchase the video. The video covers starting a dog using food or toy for a reward. Leerburg video also has extra videos to help explain some of the work. I have trained with different members of the LE world and the methods used are basically the same as those presented in the video. There is no big mystery when it comes to nosework so buy the video and get started.

Posted by maltsysshowpits on 08-22-2012 12:45 PM:

Is there a projected timeframe as to when this program will be put into place? I work with detection dogs for a living and would love to put that training to use with my personal dogs...any more info on when this might happen would be great!!!

Maltsy's Show Pits
Home Of:
UWP GRCH'PR' Maltsy's Sir Daunte of York CGC (Daunte) BIMBS Winner
UWPV UWPCH GRCH'PR' Blue Rocks Titanium Ice @ MSP (Tyce) Multiple Total Dog Award Winner
GRCH Thorbolt's Oh So Sweet (Kelly)
2013 Top Ten #1 Boxer, 2010 Top Ten #2 Boxer BISS/Multiple BIMBS & RBIMBS Winner

Posted by rosebud81592 on 08-22-2012 04:36 PM:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/...yguid=341793714
This is the web address for the Nosework Yahoo Group. There is a lot of discussion going on and anyone wanting to keep up to date on news should consider joining their group.
Linda R

12 X Alt BIMBS, 4 x Alt RBIMBS, 9 X HSIT, URX, UROC, UCD, UCH D'Lano's Guns N'Roses, CGC, TDI, TT, WAC, RE, BN, UDC VC, AKC CD, APDT RL3, AOE-L1, L2 & L-3, ASCA ODX, CW-SR', ODC BROM (aka Raney)

Daker Drago, CGC

Posted by SueM on 08-23-2012 03:24 AM:

Thank-you for posting that link, Linda!

Posted by RF.BC on 01-23-2013 04:42 AM:

Is this program still a potential new thing? Anyone heard anything?

- ALCH RFBC Heavy Hittin Contender (ALT)
Alt. RBIMBS - Alt. BIMBS

Border Collies & German Spitz
www.regalfarms.com

Posted by SueM on 01-23-2013 02:57 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by RF.BC
Is this program still a potential new thing? Anyone heard anything?

Last I heard, it's still a go. The rules have been posted. I haven't seen any trials listed yet, tho.

Posted by Kathy Graves on 01-23-2013 04:22 PM:

Link to the rules, please.

Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
but performance indicates what the animal actually is.

A little bit of grace. That's what a good dog is, you know. A little bit of grace.
Stephen King, from "Summer Thunder".

Posted by shelteak on 01-23-2013 08:06 PM:

I have done some training with a NACSW trainer that says UKCs potential Nose Work is different ...

Anyone have details on the differences? Could I take my ORT tested NACSW dog to a UKC Nosework trial, and pass?

Kelly

Posted by IlonaVizslas on 01-23-2013 08:12 PM:

You can find the full rules on the UKC Nosework Facebook page.

Posted by rosebud81592 on 01-24-2013 03:32 AM:

Yes, the rules are in the Files on their facebook page.
Linda Rusinko
Wooster, Ohio

Daker Drago, CGC

Posted by Boldog on 01-24-2013 06:47 AM:

Nosework

I'm glad to see the UKC or SOMEONE offering nosework other than the people who started it because to be honest, they seem to have had making money as their primary goal. The costs were ridiculous. I've worked with detection dogs for years, and seriously people, there is just about nothing simplier to train any dog - even those with very little drive can do it if trained with food - and the amount of money these guys were charging "instructors" and then the cost the instructors were charging the public is outragous! Around here it is $140 for 6 sessions of "here, let your dog find some food in a box". Yikes!

As much as I love detection work, I have no interest in the orig trials as the people (sometimes like 100 or more) ALL FEED THEIR DOGS on top of the find area, so that by the time the 5th or 6th dog gets there (never mind the 100th!) there is absolutely no challenge for a dog to pick out the area with hundreds of food molecules and crumbs hanging about. Haven't read the rules, but sure hope the UKC doesn't dumb it down like that.

Posted by Boldog on 01-24-2013 07:10 AM:

Are trials being held yet?

Posted by Boldog on 01-24-2013 07:35 AM:

I don't do facebook. Surely the UKC has the rules on their main site? I have googled the rules to no avail. Sigh. Does anyone know where they are other than a facebook page I can't get too?

Posted by Boldog on 01-24-2013 08:20 PM:

BUMP! Any UKC management people?

Posted by Snarf Machine on 01-25-2013 01:05 PM:

NoseWork!

Super exciting! I will be watching and hoping. We have taken NoseWork classes for a year now, from the only NASCW CNWI school in our state. We will compete in our first ORT for birch in 3 wks! I am sooo excited. Last week I went onto NACSW's site to see where our first NW1 trial would be if we pass the ORT and the first and closest opportunity is 14 hrs from me, in June, another opportunity in June that's 10 hrs away and I have to wait until the end of July for my closest opportunity which is 5 hrs away. :-( plenty of time to train I guess.

So I'm very happy UKC is starting something up. Means more opportunities and more interest. I hope it's similar in nature to what we're already preparing for. :-)

I'll have to check that Facebook page out.

Posted by rosebud81592 on 01-25-2013 02:07 PM:

My copy is the May version, but your link did not work for me, a blank page came up.
Linda R

Daker Drago, CGC

Posted by maligator on 01-26-2013 01:23 AM:

Re: Nosework

quote:
Originally posted by Boldog
I've worked with detection dogs for years, and seriously people, there is just about nothing simplier to train any dog - even those with very little drive can do it if trained with food - and the amount of money these guys were charging "instructors" and then the cost the instructors were charging the public is outragous! Around here it is $140 for 6 sessions of "here, let your dog find some food in a box". Yikes!

We tried out a nosework class but discovered it was the dumping ground for stupid owners and aggressive dogs who could not function in an obedience class. Seriously, every person in the class (minus me!) was either an incompetent nitwit who couldn't follow directions, or the owner of an aggressive dog.

For my dog's safety, I simply could not continue the training. I could not go to class every week and wonder which dog was going to try to jump us or run up on us or mark my coat/chair/crate/dog. The instructors were baffled when I said it isn't MY job to tell the other people how to control their dogs, and if something wasn't done, I would not have a problem hanging the 100lb aggressive, intact, male Lab until it passed out if the owner let it come near my dog. The lead instructor said that cruel training isn't allowed. I said "Cruel training? Am I supposed to let my 9 month old puppy get attacked??" They really wanted me to feed my dog cookies and body block the other dog until the owner got his dog under control. If another dog comes at mine, being nice is the last thing on my mind. My dogs' safety is #1.

And yes, the costs were INSANE. It was $180 for 8 weeks. I can do 2 agility classes for that cost.

Posted by SueM on 01-27-2013 04:48 PM:

Re: Re: Nosework

quote:
Originally posted by maligator
We tried out a nosework class but discovered it was the dumping ground for stupid owners and aggressive dogs who could not function in an obedience class. Seriously, every person in the class (minus me!) was either an incompetent nitwit who couldn't follow directions, or the owner of an aggressive dog.

For my dog's safety, I simply could not continue the training. I could not go to class every week and wonder which dog was going to try to jump us or run up on us or mark my coat/chair/crate/dog. The instructors were baffled when I said it isn't MY job to tell the other people how to control their dogs, and if something wasn't done, I would not have a problem hanging the 100lb aggressive, intact, male Lab until it passed out if the owner let it come near my dog. The lead instructor said that cruel training isn't allowed. I said "Cruel training? Am I supposed to let my 9 month old puppy get attacked??" They really wanted me to feed my dog cookies and body block the other dog until the owner got his dog under control. If another dog comes at mine, being nice is the last thing on my mind. My dogs' safety is #1.

And yes, the costs were INSANE. It was $180 for 8 weeks. I can do 2 agility classes for that cost.

Holy cow! I wouldn't go back, either. As much as it can be a PITA, NACSW doesn't allow interaction between the dogs. At class, trials, etc, they are either crated or in vehicles until their turn unless they are warming up or pottying.

Posted by Cynthia Blue on 02-07-2013 02:35 PM:

I would love more updates on this program, too. The Facebook group isn't very active, nor is the Yahoo group. I hope to see UKC nosework as an official sport soon!