UKC Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- 5th Place and High scoring XB (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928533143)

Posted by 8up on 09-28-2020 02:07 AM:

5th Place and High scoring XB

Congrats to Country's Hot Babe , Ronald Chapman Sr and Steve Burkholder . You had a great week with Semi-finals at Superstakes only to leave it and take 5th place and High scoring crossbred at the World Hunt. Has a crossbred ever placed higher?

Posted by Clif Owen on 09-28-2020 02:37 AM:

Kind of yes and no. One won a couple of years back but there was some controversy and the dog was scratched, his win nullified and final cast rerun.

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-28-2020 03:49 AM:

Sambo

X breed Sambo won the UKC WORLD HUNT, but was stripped of his title because of an incident that occurred in the zones. Yes, he beat every dog in every cast he was in to win the World Hunt, and he was a bluetick crossbreed. Dave

Posted by Ridgerunner1988 on 09-28-2020 09:15 AM:

Why was he scratched? What happend in the zones to cause him to be scratched?

Posted by pamjohnson on 09-28-2020 02:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Why was he scratched? What happend in the zones to cause him to be scratched?
I believe it was adding additional plus points to the score card.

Posted by Corey Gruver on 09-28-2020 03:51 PM:

Congrats! Must be one heck of a dog.

Posted by 8up on 09-28-2020 08:09 PM:

Thanks for the answers. Corey its my dad's dog and she is one heck of a dog Mojo beat her out by the original strike on Friday to get in the final 4. She has a sister just like her. The sister lead her semifinals SS cast for the full 90 minutes but lost to a coon that was found after the 90. So close but that is what makes it fun.

Posted by ov_blues on 09-28-2020 09:05 PM:

Sambo and Babe have similar bluetick bloodlines in them. Sambo’s mother and Babe’s sire are out of the same family tree of Blueticks. I don’t know about the Walker side of them.

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-28-2020 09:41 PM:

John

That's good info, It is certainly a good cross. I love the X Breed Program, I only wish that it was like that back when I was younger and hunting a lot in competition hunts. I owned a Xbreed bluetick that was as nice of a coon dog as you could get. He won more UKC grade hunts and was most of the time the high scoring dog of the Hunt than any 10 dogs ever won. You could not haul the trophies in a pickup bed that dog won. He was special, I often wonder how many big hunts he could have won if the X Breed Program would have been in place then. He could tree coons that most dogs could not smell and was deadly accurate. I would love to own one more like him before I get to old to hunt. Dave

Posted by honalieh on 09-29-2020 01:43 AM:

Xbreed

Is this Ron Chapman the same one that owned the Hardtime Buddy dog back in the 80's and early 90's???

If so, he's got experience with X-Breed dogs. Hardtime Buddy himself would be considered X-Breed under todays standards.

Posted by 8up on 09-29-2020 03:38 AM:

Re: Xbreed

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
Is this Ron Chapman the same one that owned the Hardtime Buddy dog back in the 80's and early 90's???

If so, he's got experience with X-Breed dogs. Hardtime Buddy himself would be considered X-Breed under todays standards.

Yes he is the same Ron Chapman he has been out of the game for a long time but he is back

Posted by Dave Richards on 09-29-2020 03:53 AM:

8up

Tell your dad that we are glad to see him back in the game and that he sure knows how to make an comeback. I wish him the best with Babe, she should only get better. Dave

Posted by Ridgerunner1988 on 10-20-2020 02:26 AM:

Re: Xbreed

quote:

What was Hardtime buddy registered as and what was his pedigree and was he really x breed? I've heard of him before just trying to get the story on him.

Posted by honalieh on 10-20-2020 03:41 AM:

Re: Re: Xbreed

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
What was Hardtime buddy registered as and what was his pedigree and was he really x breed? I've heard of him before just trying to get the story on him.

Buddy was out of 1979 ACHA World Ch. Hardtime Speck. Speck was a Walker dog that was transferred into the English. So, Buddy (raised by Ron Chapman) was registered English. I raised pups from Speck and a female that had single registration on both sides. The pups were registered English, even though their sire was originally a registered Walker, and the mother was part Bluetick with some Walker (single registration). I kind of liked it that way.

Here's a few of the foundation dogs of the English breed:
(1) Boyd's Little Joe. Not registered as a pup. Was single registered.
(2) Vanzants Sam. Registered as pup. English Coonhound (Bluetick). He was out of foundation Bluetick blood.
(3) Hardtime Speck. Registered Walker. Johnsons Banjo and double Stans Sailor Boy. Transferred to English.
(4) Beshears Blue Boy II. Crossbred. Walker and English. The litter was registered English.
(5) Darons Blue Reb (Lumis). Crossbred. Walker and English. Heavy Johnsons Banjo (Walker) bred. Had both Merchants Banjo II and Houses Chief behind him.
(6) Merks Tapp. Crossbred. Walker and English. Had Finley River Joe (Walker) behind him.

Back in the 1970's and earlier, Walkers were registered as: English Coonhound (Treeing Walker), Blueticks as: English Coonhound (Bluetick). You could cross them and register them as English. That went away. But, you could still cross them and "single register" them as English. That went away with the X-Bred designation.

The English Breed was the X-Breed before there was an X-Breed designation. That is why you see Walkers in the English breed, Blueticks in the English breed, and Redticks in the English breed.

I think there is probably still an old post by Dave Tackett (search Hardtymes) on here that gives a lot of history on English hounds of the past. I know Hardtime Buddy was on it (he was a Walker looking hound).

Almost all of the dogs I've hunted from the 70's until just recently were English (and would be considered as X-Bred by todays standards). Speck, Lumis, Little Joe, Nichols Tree Spike.

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-20-2020 07:39 AM:

Re: Re: Re: Xbreed

quote:
Buddy was out of 1979 ACHA World Ch. Hardtime Speck. Speck was a Walker dog that was transferred into the English. So, Buddy (raised by Ron Chapman) was registered English. I raised pups from Speck and a female that had single registration on both sides. The pups were registered English, even though their sire was originally a registered Walker, and the mother was part Bluetick with some Walker (single registration). I kind of liked it that way.

(2) Vanzants Sam. Registered as pup. English Coonhound (Bluetick). He was out of foundation Bluetick blood.
(3) Hardtime Speck. Registered Walker. Johnsons Banjo and double Stans Sailor Boy. Transferred to English.
(4) Beshears Blue Boy II. Crossbred. Walker and English. The litter was registered English.
(5) Darons Blue Reb (Lumis). Crossbred. Walker and English. Heavy Johnsons Banjo (Walker) bred. Had both Merchants Banjo II and Houses Chief behind him.
(6) Merks Tapp. Crossbred. Walker and English. Had Finley River Joe (Walker) behind him.

Back in the 1970's and earlier, Walkers were registered as: English Coonhound (Treeing Walker), Blueticks as: English Coonhound (Bluetick). You could cross them and register them as English. That went away. But, you could still cross them and "single register" them as English. That went away with the X-Bred designation.

The English Breed was the X-Breed before there was an X-Breed designation. That is why you see Walkers in the English breed, Blueticks in the English breed, and Redticks in the English breed.

I think there is probably still an old post by Dave Tackett (search Hardtymes) on here that gives a lot of history on English hounds of the past. I know Hardtime Buddy was on it (he was a Walker looking hound).

Almost all of the dogs I've hunted from the 70's until just recently were English (and would be considered as X-Bred by todays standards). Speck, Lumis, Little
Joe, Nichols Tree Spike.

Yes, and that's what made them as good as they are today, love the idea of breeding best to the best and X breed allows this to happen. Dave

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 10-20-2020 05:20 PM:

I bought a female in the middle 70"s. She was born in 1974. She wasn't pr bred, had yellow papers and was reg. as Walker(treeing) on the papers. I bought her from Larry Pehle out of a male called FD. CH W.CH. CH. NT CH. Pehele's Midwest Banjo \ Nt Ch Midwest Molly. House's Elmer and House's Queen in pedigree neither had reg. numbers but were sire and dam of House's Bawlie.

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by ov_blues on 10-20-2020 05:27 PM:

One of the best dogs I ever followed was a bluetick who was out of a female out of Brush Creek Blue and a single registered female. X breeding has also taken the place of single registration. It has also helped take the place of some false registrations since those false papers aren’t needed to compete anymore. Ignorance can be bliss but what X breeding does is bring some things that would have been left in the closer brought out into the daylight. It’s not the bad thing that some people make it out to be.

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-20-2020 06:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
One of the best dogs I ever followed was a bluetick who was out of a female out of Brush Creek Blue and a single registered female. X breeding has also taken the place of single registration. It has also helped take the place of some false registrations since those false papers aren’t needed to compete anymore. Ignorance can be bliss but what X breeding does is bring some things that would have been left in the closer brought out into the daylight. It’s not the bad thing that some people make it out to be.

John, One of the best coon dogs I have ever owned or seen was a x breed bluetick. He was hunted as a grade dog ( shame) and won countless UKC HUNTS, being the high scoring dog of the hunt most of the time. I would have loved to have him now and register as an x breed, I think he could have been one of the best in the big HUNTS. Dave

Posted by ov_blues on 10-20-2020 07:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
John, One of the best coon dogs I have ever owned or seen was a x breed bluetick. He was hunted as a grade dog ( shame) and won countless UKC HUNTS, being the high scoring dog of the hunt most of the time. I would have loved to have him now and register as an x breed, I think he could have been one of the best in the big HUNTS. Dave

Years ago if the wrong guy got ahold of that dog and put false papers on him, then finished him to Grand Night and won a big hunt or two there would have been the possibility of that dog being an ancestor to "PR registered" blueticks today. It happened, people just don't realize it happened. I know of one registered Walker that was an outstanding reproducer who was half walker/half black & tan. Could have bred him to a poodle and he would have produced coon dogs. That is just one example and there are many more I'm sure. X breeding is just designed to keep people more honest.

Posted by Ridgerunner1988 on 10-20-2020 07:42 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Xbreed

quote:

Almost all of the dogs I've hunted from the 70's until just recently were English (and would be considered as X-Bred by todays standards). Speck, Lumis, Little Joe, Nichols Tree Spike.

Ok thank you that's what I was looking for. I knew that when walkers were first registered with UKC they were registered as English coonhounds walker treeing, Lester Nance is the one along with a few others who pushed for UKC to register them and ukc kept turning them down then finally accepted in 1946 I believe it was. I have an article that has the history of the walker coonhound starting with Lester Nance all the way up until recent. Thanks for the info.

Posted by Surveyor on 10-20-2020 07:52 PM:

She won double casts last night to advance to the PKC world finals too!

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-20-2020 08:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
She won double casts last night to advance to the PKC world finals too!

She definitely can win, I hope she wins it all. Dave