UKC Forums Pages (15): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Show all 365 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Most Famous Coonhound (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=241956)

Posted by gjbaker781 on 01-12-2012 12:42 AM:

walker

.... How about GR.NITECH BRIDGE DRIFTING LURCH

Posted by P.W. Chapman on 01-12-2012 04:09 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by kycooner1
In the late 30s Hans Wagner offered 1000 dollars to anyone who has a dog that can beat the Nightrider on striking and treeing a coon on neutral ground.

Hans Wagner was promoting dogs on a bigtime national scale in the 30's. Considering the timeframe and the notoriety of Nightrider and Wagner and the willingness to crossbreed back in the day, I'd bet a pretty penny that a lot of the bigtime Walker studs in these pics have some Nightrider galloping through their veins LOL.

Nightrider was probably the most famous dog of his time frame. Think about it...$1,000...during the Great Depression LOL.

Posted by Okie Dawg on 01-12-2012 03:23 PM:

YEP, That would be like a million today.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Posted by Whordel on 01-12-2012 04:04 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by P.W. Chapman
Hans Wagner was promoting dogs on a bigtime national scale in the 30's. Considering the timeframe and the notoriety of Nightrider and Wagner and the willingness to crossbreed back in the day, I'd bet a pretty penny that a lot of the bigtime Walker studs in these pics have some Nightrider galloping through their veins LOL.

Nightrider was probably the most famous dog of his time frame. Think about it...$1,000...during the Great Depression LOL.

What the heck was it?A cross of everything?Marked up more like a Plott,some white on it,short ears,made tight.

2012 Autumn Oaks Cast Win
2012 Qualified Lee Crawford
2012 Qualified Purina National
2013 Walker Days Cast Win
2013 Qualified ACHA World
2 Wins toward Grand
Back to work so the hunting and hunts are over for now lol.
*2013 Performance Sire*

***RIP Gr.Nt.Ch River Kennel Rock***

Chris Cordle
BOSS LIGHTS
CCC
Carter County Cooners

Posted by P.W. Chapman on 01-12-2012 04:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Whordel
What the heck was it?A cross of everything?Marked up more like a Plott,some white on it,short ears,made tight.

No white or brindle on him...that is just the finish on the photo. Registered B&T...Wagner was famous for moving the breed ahead with a medium eared, faster treehound. He had to have been the most famous coonhound in the land in the 30's & 40's.

Posted by coon dawwg on 01-12-2012 04:59 PM:

Re: walker

quote:
Originally posted by gjbaker781
.... How about GR.NITECH BRIDGE DRIFTING LURCH
.he was the best hound Bruce ever owned..........you 'bout couldn't beat him in deeeep water.........

Posted by old ben on 01-12-2012 05:32 PM:

Re: HOUSE'S LAWYER...

quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins/Lipper
HOUSE'S LAWYER...

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

i herd he was the real deal

Anderson County Coon Club
Lance White
865-919-7234

Posted by blueticker on 01-12-2012 05:38 PM:

Lipper - walker

Diamond Jim - blue

Tenn Big Wheel - B/T

Swamp Rooster - English

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Posted by Okie Dawg on 01-12-2012 06:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
Lipper - walker

Diamond Jim - blue

Tenn Big Wheel - B/T

Swamp Rooster - English

That Smokey River is in any good blue dog I have ever seen. I don't know were it started but it is good stuff.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Posted by coon dawwg on 01-12-2012 06:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Okie Dawg
That Smokey River is in any good blue dog I have ever seen. I don't know were it started but it is good stuff.
.....Warren Haslaur from Kansas I think.....

Posted by Rick Dennison on 01-13-2012 03:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shawnfitzgerald
i think cracker was a true winner but he wasent hunted against the great handlers and as many great dogs his whole life as was triple creek rat. you got to remember who huntedcracker most of his life ronne bone was way ahead of 98% of the rest the handlers back then and still is

cracker was hunted against some of the better dogs and handlers, whitey/doug jackson, jukebox/jr. jackson, mack/myself, hank or style/randy jaccaud, ronnie nickens, sarge & sarge ll/curt sybert, there was just as good dogs and handlers back then. cracker was a straight coondog from from the snap as any. back then there was'nt any of these 20k and 30k hunts, he did it all in open events and some pro hunts.

Posted by englishbuddy on 06-12-2012 02:18 AM:

Re: The MOST FAMOUS COONHOUND EVER,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Wittenborn
[B]has got to be Merchant's Bawlie. He won 2 World Championships, back when there were large turnouts at the Hunts. This was in an era when NEWS of a good coonhound didn't get around to all coonhunters like it does today, but yet probably every coonhunter of that time period had heard & knew of Merchants Bawlie.

Merchants Bawlie won the ACHA World Hunt 3 times 1955 1956 and 1957

Posted by darwin barber on 06-12-2012 06:54 AM:

lol the most famous dog i know is in my pen, he sure ant going know where! i bet every coon hunter has one!

Posted by l.lyle on 06-12-2012 07:22 AM:

Re: Re: The MOST FAMOUS COONHOUND EVER,

quote:
Originally posted by englishbuddy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Wittenborn
[B]has got to be Merchant's Bawlie. He won 2 World Championships, back when there were large turnouts at the Hunts. This was in an era when NEWS of a good coonhound didn't get around to all coonhunters like it does today, but yet probably every coonhunter of that time period had heard & knew of Merchants Bawlie. Merchants Bawlie won the ACHA World Hunt 3 times 1955 1956 and 1957

House's Bawlie might have been as famous also, a World Champ.

Posted by les condra on 06-12-2012 05:23 PM:

i visited james merchant years ago if my memory serves me correct he said that bawlie had never lost a cast

Posted by michael.magorian on 06-12-2012 05:47 PM:

I believe that each breed has their select "stand outs" that many other breed fanciers know next to nothing about, and will argue to death over the subject matter. Most of these "famous" hounds are famous because they had either a great promoter, or they were mentioned in a reproducer list in a magazine. Famous promoters/breeders have done their part to improve the breed they fancy and their hounds generally become as famous. Like I said each breed has their own famous breeders like John Wick with the walkers, Hans Wagner with black and tans, Richard McDuffie with leopards, Del Cameron with blueticks, etc.

If you ask a hound hunter who the most "famous" is, one could only in good conscious say Tennessee Lead, but if you ask the person that knows absolutely nothing about hound hunting then there is only one answer, Old Dan and Little Anne.

My two cents

Posted by dperry on 06-12-2012 06:13 PM:

Mojo most famous hound of our times

Posted by wakenda creek b on 06-12-2012 06:47 PM:

The bluetick breed has Utchmans Hawk,Jet 5,Hammer,S.R. Blue Diamond Jim,Rambo 2,and Sparetime Spanky.Thats just a short list.I think there producing was influenced by the quality of females that was bred to them.Rambo 2 was bred to alot of good females.They did it the right way with him.Hawk was bred to anything in his day and still reproduced like no other.I know I left some good ones out but these are the ones that came to mind.

Posted by Randy Tallon on 06-12-2012 07:21 PM:

Mr Rex - Would you happen to have any old info on a fellow that was very influential on the English breed that has not been mentioned....Berton Oney from Greenwich, Oh? I believe (but, not sure..) that he won the World Championship with Vanzant's Sam. I know he had many good studs and females along the way...Whittle's Sandman and Turkey Ridge Racket to name a couple. All three played a major role in the English lines at one point.

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Posted by BRF on 12-17-2012 04:07 PM:

Btt

Willow Ridge English Kennels
We Use & Recommend Laser Torch Lights.

Bill Cell 859-620-0563(AT&T)
Foster, KY

Posted by Dan Dogs on 12-17-2012 04:49 PM:

Re: Re: Most Famous !

quote:
Originally posted by Grant Noeske
I believe he was the PKC National Champion in 1984 or so.
not for sure, but i think he also won the texas state hunt and show one yr.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by BGathright on 12-17-2012 04:51 PM:

He didnt live long but he had a huge impact on the Walker breed

Posted by C. Beyer on 12-17-2012 05:07 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by wakenda creek b
The bluetick breed has Utchmans Hawk,Jet 5,Hammer,S.R. Blue Diamond Jim,Rambo 2,and Sparetime Spanky.Thats just a short list.I think there producing was influenced by the quality of females that was bred to them.Rambo 2 was bred to alot of good females.They did it the right way with him.Hawk was bred to anything in his day and still reproduced like no other.I know I left some good ones out but these are the ones that came to mind.

Spanky was the best in that list

616-262-2785
Twin Oaks Kennels
SPIKE BEYER, HIS LEGACY LIVES ON!
PR' Twin Oak's CrossCut BoZo R.I.P.
Twin Oak's NextGen. Jewel
**TEAM TIMBER**
COONDOG UP*ENGLISH STYLE*
CoonDog Mafia

Posted by Harley Smith on 12-17-2012 05:14 PM:

Dan and Ann

pr' Dixie's Heaven on Earth
(Turpins Insane Cain X Jacksons Magic Dixie) (walker)

Posted by chuck west on 12-17-2012 05:35 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by BGathright
He didnt live long but he had a huge impact on the Walker breed

I would say Bobby you nailed this one !!

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729