UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 41 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Mr. Dave Richards (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928526940)

Posted by RC-Abby on 02-02-2020 03:10 PM:

Mr. Dave Richards

D0 you own a Marlin Glenfield model 25 .22 cal. rimfire? If you do, will you tell me the length and weight.(light weight) Is it a balanced gun? Does it have the grooved scope mount?

Looking for a different gun for next season. Present one is Glenfield model 70 semiauto. It is nice gun except recoil bolt cleaning. My gun oil deteriorates nylon recoil stop.

I'm short! Need a gun the same way with full size wood stock.

Hope that ole knee gets better fast. Us older guys can't stop, wasn't raised that way.

Thanks for any help
Randi Bidlack

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-02-2020 06:50 PM:

Randi

No, I don't have the gun you asked about, I do have a couple if Marlin model 60 rifles. The 60 is a decent gun, but I can recommend several better choices for coon hunting. Rossi SR22 auto with clip, sale price in 100.00 range, light around 4 pounds, great stick with sling swivels studs attached. Mossberg Plinkster essentially the same gun as the Rossi except Rossi has a better stock. Savage Rascal single shot, Cricket single shot new model with drop in shell tray. Hope this helps. Dave

Posted by RC-Abby on 02-02-2020 08:43 PM:

Thanks Dave

I checked out the Rossi, didn't care for it. It's barrel heavy and semi auto. I'm wanting to go to a bolt action with a clip. From another post on here of yours, I you stated you own several .22s. Was hoping you had 1 and could give me the good and bad. My son in law had a 25 and sold it. He was telling me that I needed 1 to hunt with.

Randi

Posted by David Webb on 02-02-2020 09:21 PM:

22 Rifle

CZ 457 Scout 22 Youth Model
Pricey, but a very nice clip fed bolt action
Wood Stock, Very Smooth Action, & A Tack Driver
I have a 454 Scout (Older) & it shoots great

Grand Night Tight as a Cord

Posted by RC-Abby on 02-02-2020 10:35 PM:

Thanks Mr. Webb

I checked it out on the internet. Nice looker. I'm writing all suggestion down. Will have a list for March gun show. Price really doesn't matter when you can sell coon for 2 bucks. LoL!!

Randi

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 02-02-2020 11:42 PM:

Nylon 66 hard to beat

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-03-2020 12:07 AM:

Randi

ROSSI MAKES the same gun in a bolt action model RA22, I own several youth type 22 rifles that I think make good coon hunting guns, the Chipmunk, Crickett, and the Savage Rascal all 3 are bolt action single shots and weigh next to nothing, sort length, and EASY to carry. I have a Thompson contender hotshot 22 or that I use, it's not made anymore, hut if you can find one buy it. The hotshot weighs under 3 pounds, breaks open like a Contender and is a single shot . I have the CZ Scout and it's a great gun but much HEAVIER. Marlin makes the 795 model and the pappoose, both great coon hunting rifles. The Savage Rascal is a great little gun that you can mount a scope on, you will need to buy the scope mount extra, it's compact and lightweight and has a drop in shell tray, witches makes loading at night easier. Dave

Posted by shadinc on 02-03-2020 12:10 AM:

I have a Marlin 795. Great rifle. I wanted another Papoose, but settled for the 795.

Posted by RC-Abby on 02-03-2020 12:27 AM:

MY Goodness

I start looking at all these makes and models I will be at the gun show all weekend. LoL! But I do appreciate all input. I am only looking for a bolt action with a clip.

Thanks to all
Randi

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-03-2020 12:31 AM:

Randi

Definitely check out the Rossi RA22 it's a bolt action with a clip. Dave

Posted by cole run on 02-03-2020 02:36 AM:

Are you guys sure it’s a Rossi model ra I’m only finding rs or rb models

Posted by David Webb on 02-03-2020 02:36 PM:

22 RIFLE

Randi,
Check out the ROSSI RB22
Bolt Action W/CLIP

Grand Night Tight as a Cord

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-03-2020 03:41 PM:

Randi

It the model RB22, MISTYPED on earlier post, it's a bolt action with clip like you want, compact and has sling studs already in the stock. Dave

Posted by RC-Abby on 02-03-2020 04:23 PM:

Rossi RB22

Nice looker. Got it on my list. I want to go to gun show so I can compare several in short time frame. Then I can remember good and bad points of each. Rossi is really impressive. 4.5 pound and 18 inch barrel. Me being short my body should protect it when on my back.

Our season has ended. So I won't need a new rifle until this fall. Who knows by that time I might own 3or4 new guns.

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

Randi

Posted by ING 194 on 02-03-2020 06:40 PM:

I like my synthetic stock ss finished ruger 10/22. Going on over a year and haven't cleaned it. I also have a cricket scope on it. Probably be the last one I'll have to buy.

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-03-2020 10:25 PM:

Guys

There are lots of decent 22 rifles that a man can coon hunt with. Myself, I have way to many 22 rifles, but I love 22 rifles. I consider lightweight, short in overall lengthy and decent quality ( dependable ) as my prime qualities in s coon hunting rifle, old age makes me love anything that does not weigh me down. I could list 50 different 22 rifles that I would consider good coon hunting rifles. Now factor in weight, length and quality and that number drops considerable. One thing to consider is that any gun you coon hunt with is going to get beat up, it's just what it is. I have expensive 22 rifles that I would NEVER carry coon hunting, now I squirrel hunt with them, just not coon hunting. I like a cheap efficient rifle that you don't worry about scratching or even looking. The Rossi automatic and bolt action both are cheap enough, butt offer light weight, short length and are very accurate, more ACCURATE than any other brand I know of in their price range. The sights that come on these rifles are very good and you have the capability of mounting a scope ( grooved for scope ) all for a very affordable price. Dave

Posted by Preacher Tom on 02-03-2020 10:43 PM:

David What did you find out at the doctor today?

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-03-2020 10:51 PM:

Tom Wood

There is still swelling ( of course ) Dr. Had examined trays and said he are a piece if bone that had broken loose which indicated a ligament tear. He wants to wait another week or so before he does the MRI TO LET THE SWELLING subside. The MRI will decide what course of action they take ( surgery or what? ). I can actually take a shower by myself and get around decent with my walker, big improvement over the first few days. Thanks for asking. Dave

Posted by Preacher Tom on 02-03-2020 11:49 PM:

Last night I had to climb a steep bluff and come back down. Loose rock. About midnight. I thought about you then and just how smart I wasn't.

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-04-2020 12:12 AM:

Tom Wood

If I had a dollar for every time I climbed up or down a steep bluff coon hunting, I might be rich. Lol. Now, in the future I don't think I would make much at 1.00 per climb, my days of taking such risks are OVER. I either find a good way down or up or I stay put or backtrack. While we ALL know we can get hurt, it takes getting hurt to put your mind and body in sync. My body will not listen to my brain in the future ( I hope ) when my brain says you can do it, while my old bones say no you can't, remember the fall? Old age equals easy to get hurt fast and slow to heal and as my Orthopedic Doctor said today a 20 year old patient and a 71 year old patient don't respond alike in treatment, what works for the young 20 year old may not work for the older 71 year old. It's way better to not get hurt than trying to fix old bones. Lol. Dave

Posted by johnny reb on 02-04-2020 01:26 AM:

Curious what kind of oil you’re using and how often you use it that it’s deteriorating the recoil stop.
The good thing is ther are a lot of options for a replacement rifle depending on what you want.
Which bring me to this not wanting to come across the wrong way. The word clip has been used all over this thread and it should be magazine. I know the word clip is misused all the time.

Posted by RC-Abby on 02-04-2020 01:56 AM:

Oil

I use a action degreaser and rem oil. I have replaced the nylon recoil stop twice in the past 3 yrs. And it needs done again. Not a hard job. But time consuming. Think $7.00 plus shipping.

And yes I am wrong for saying clip instead of magazine. LoL!

Randi

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-04-2020 05:40 PM:

Oils and plastics

Some plastics do deteriate from oil exposure, you would think s gun maker would not use the kind of plastics that oil effects, but then why do they care if it saves them a dollar in production costs. Dave

Posted by sleepy head on 02-08-2020 12:40 PM:

Dave Richards, Dave have you had a Winchester wildcat in your hands? I think it just came out last year. 4 lb semi loader takes Ruger rotary mags. Looks like a great coon hunting rig

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-08-2020 05:38 PM:

Sleepy head

No sir, NEVER looked at the rifle you asked about, I own several nice Winchester 22 rifles, all of them are old collecter items 61's, 62's, and 72 model numbers. Dave