UKC Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=)
-- best place to find broke dog? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=433944)

Posted by POP on 06-21-2011 02:48 PM:

best place to find broke dog?

starting to look for a broke walk hunting bird dog.

dont have time for a pup...looking for a site or place that a person can find a good broke dog.

any sites or ideas? thank you.

Posted by Fltwlk08 on 07-13-2011 01:42 AM:

Call Donald Bowyer @ 540-874-4814.
Sage Wind Kennels

Posted by Ron R on 07-18-2011 02:48 PM:

I have this female that I will sell. She is a young trial dog that I have ran in 3 trials and she has done awesome and the picture that I'm posting was taken (by her judge) during her very first trial on her 3rd find. She is broke on her birds, backs, force broke to retrieve, very classy moving, and stylish on point. She is line bred Fiddler/Go Boy sired by 4xCh Honky Tonk Icon and her dam was a walking shooting dog but retired early due to a broken back leg. She is also still pretty young, she will be 2yrs in Sept. and weighs 35lbs. Shoot me a pm if you would like to know more.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/rrawlings0614/1301628234.jpg

Here is one more pic taken while training.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/rrawlings0614/1292991458.jpg

Posted by POP on 07-24-2011 06:22 PM:

thank you both!

Ron she is a beauty!!!!!!

Posted by JoshT on 07-28-2011 03:35 PM:

We usually have a few. Some of the best come from hunting preserves. We can hook you up. And we will show the dog hunting so you can see for yourself. Whatever you may
decide to do, please make sure to have the owner display
the dogs capabilities to your satisfaction.

http://www.trophytimegundogs.com/dogs_for_sale.html

Your online resource for Owens Dog Boxes, D.T. Systems Electronic Collars
and high quality German Shorthair Pointers.

Posted by Ron R on 07-28-2011 09:45 PM:

Great advice Josh T. I will add that I would never buy a dog without seeimg it worked in the field and on birds. Besides getting a good look at the dog you also have the chance to see how the trainer handles it.

However, I will have to dis-agree with some of the best dogs coming from hunting preserves. To each his own.

Good Luck

Posted by bghunter2001 on 10-19-2011 03:34 PM:

finding a broke dog

I would highly advise to advoid Shady Meadows. For the last ten years he has been going to close his doors and from my experience he should have. I have made two trips to his Kennels and looked and several dogs. Not one of them was what they advertised. He is a dog broker / puppy mill. With below average breeding stock and a kennel full of rejects. He tried to sell several dogs, as broke dogs, that he had raised multiple litters out of that would not even point a bird in their own bird field. Enough about that. I second the NSTRA.com classifieds. Most of the dogs on there that have accumulated a couple points in NSTRA will have the foundation you are loocking for. In my experience a true wild bird dog will cost you some serious cash. If you can find a young NSTRA dog that has a foundation then build a bird dog my putting him in the woods you should be fine. There are a ton of nice dogs out there right now as the bird counts across the midwest are less than favorable and the economy has beat the kennel owners down over the last couple years.

Posted by POP on 10-28-2011 12:05 AM:

Re: finding a broke dog

quote:
Originally posted by bghunter2001
I would highly advise to advoid Shady Meadows. For the last ten years he has been going to close his doors and from my experience he should have. I have made two trips to his Kennels and looked and several dogs. Not one of them was what they advertised. He is a dog broker / puppy mill. With below average breeding stock and a kennel full of rejects. He tried to sell several dogs, as broke dogs, that he had raised multiple litters out of that would not even point a bird in their own bird field. Enough about that. I second the NSTRA.com classifieds. Most of the dogs on there that have accumulated a couple points in NSTRA will have the foundation you are loocking for. In my experience a true wild bird dog will cost you some serious cash. If you can find a young NSTRA dog that has a foundation then build a bird dog my putting him in the woods you should be fine. There are a ton of nice dogs out there right now as the bird counts across the midwest are less than favorable and the economy has beat the kennel owners down over the last couple years.

thanks!!!

Posted by Andy Bedgood on 11-14-2011 07:42 PM:

You can contact Wesley Downs in Alabama. Full time trainer that trials and judges alot of NASTRA trials. One of the most honest people that I know of. Will tell you everything and also show you the dogs. If you want good and if there is anything you dont like there will be no problem. Have 2 that come ffrom him that we are going to trial this year. Came very highly recommended from several trainers and trialers. His # 256-748-3453. Hope this helps.

Posted by POP on 11-14-2011 08:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bedgood
You can contact Wesley Downs in Alabama. Full time trainer that trials and judges alot of NASTRA trials. One of the most honest people that I know of. Will tell you everything and also show you the dogs. If you want good and if there is anything you dont like there will be no problem. Have 2 that come ffrom him that we are going to trial this year. Came very highly recommended from several trainers and trialers. His # 256-748-3453. Hope this helps.

thanks Andy! i will give him a call!

i should have added that im not looking for a field trial dog, just one that i can go shoot birds over and have fun without much aggravation. thanks for all the replys!

Posted by Mike_Flores on 11-15-2011 02:53 AM:

Keep in mind that a started dog that's pointing and gun broke will find you birds and you'll be able to have fun hunting. Will save you a lot of money. Once started, they just need time hunted and you can polish them off how you see fit.

Posted by Andy Bedgood on 11-15-2011 01:40 PM:

The ones I am trialing are the same ones I walk hunt behind. Never met a more honest person to deal with and believe me have been burnt more than once by some other "big name" people.

Posted by POP on 11-15-2011 04:51 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Flores
Keep in mind that a started dog that's pointing and gun broke will find you birds and you'll be able to have fun hunting. Will save you a lot of money. Once started, they just need time hunted and you can polish them off how you see fit.

thanks Mike! thats probably what i need is a well started dog that just needs the miles put on him.
i will keep that in mind.

Posted by POP on 11-15-2011 04:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bedgood
The ones I am trialing are the same ones I walk hunt behind. Never met a more honest person to deal with and believe me have been burnt more than once by some other "big name" people.

thanks Andy! i will call and chat with him.

Posted by ridley11 on 11-29-2011 04:30 AM:

I also would advise you to avoid Shady Meadows.