UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 53 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- clover dogs? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=201914)

Posted by h.c.cooner on 04-01-2008 03:31 PM:

clover dogs?

I haven't been around alot of clover bred dogs. What are some of the pro's and con's of the clover line?

Posted by SCBluetickGirl on 04-01-2008 05:42 PM:

BTT

Aight guys, this ain't a bench show and I ain't a hound. Keep ya eyes where they need to be.

Posted by jayray on 04-01-2008 05:46 PM:

Meat dogs!!!Some can be a bit to tracky for some folks but they sure put a coon at the end of the chase.The ones I have owned opened just right and were good tree dogs.Hope this helps.Robert

Posted by SCBluetickGirl on 04-01-2008 05:53 PM:

h.c.cooner - Check out this website ---> www.oakridgecoonhounds.com

Joe Newlin (Oak Ridge on here) can tell you about Clover dogs. That's his website, and he's been following, breeding, and hunting Clover dogs for a long time.

Aight guys, this ain't a bench show and I ain't a hound. Keep ya eyes where they need to be.

Posted by jayray on 04-01-2008 05:54 PM:

p.s. I have a Joker/Powder pup which is double Clover bred that is showing alot of promise.I still firmly believe in this bloodline.

Posted by SCBluetickGirl on 04-01-2008 06:45 PM:

I'm getting a Hit Man/Powder pup soon. It'll be my first Clover bred hound, so I'm looking forward to seeing what this line's all about.

Posted by Oak Ridge on 04-01-2008 06:51 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by jayray
p.s. I have a Joker/Powder pup which is double Clover bred that is showing alot of promise.I still firmly believe in this bloodline.

Jayray,

Which litter is your pup from? That's been an outstanding cross.....

h.c. cooner,

Buddy, there are as many opinions about clover bed dogs as there are people. You will find folks that love em, and you'll find folks that hate em.

Seems to me that there is a new wave of popularity hitting this line of dogs, as well as the wipeout strain. Both of these lines carry a common thread...they like to have coon when they tree.

If you are interested in having someone tell you how good your dog looks, that it's big, tall, pretty, and "colored up nice", these clover dogs ain't gonna suit you. If you want a "killer locate" and for them to roll over to 140 barks per minute on the tree...they ain't gonna suit you. If you want em to hunt out 30 to 40 minuts and come back when they have not struck a coon....they ain't gonna suit you. If you want a dog that you can throw it in the kennel, and let it grow up without any attention, or scratching behind the ears...they ain't gonna suit you.

Now that I've told you all the bad...let me speak a little about the good.

These dogs are personable dogs. You will get the best out of them, when you show them the best in you. They are smart enough to respond to training, and they will pick up easily on when they are pleasing you. The best of the lot will work hard to please you, if you teach them that pleasing you is good. You don't have to whip, beat, or shock them to get something across to them....letting them know that you are dissapointed in them is often enough to get the job done.

A lot of the Clover bred dogs that are heavy clover bred are not "hard" tree dogs. Most will bark somewhere between 50 to 100 barks per minute...some have a decent locate, but very few have a 'killer' locate.

The are not "tree checkers"...most of them would much prefer tracking a coon to the right tree, but there are several out there that excel at layup coon as well, but those are always "special" treats. They don't mature physically or mentally as quickly as some of the more popular strains that are available today...so contrary to popular belief, they are not all getting started at six months old.

All in all, they are for the most part balanced hounds that you will get as much out of as you put into them.

Posted by MIwalkerhunter on 04-01-2008 07:37 PM:

clover

well i will tell you this my buddy just got one 6 weeks ago he is one year old never seen out side the yard let alone the chaine 22 days and we had him running and treeing his coon cery small long lagged hound but fast very very fast and he is a COONHOUND

Posted by h.c.cooner on 04-01-2008 10:10 PM:

I was just wondering. I just booked a pup that is double wipeout and double clover bred. I'm hoping that this is gonna be a good mix. I know I like the wipeout dogs, I just didn't know much about clover dogs. I do know a clover dog when I see one!!! As far as looks I think that the clover line is the most recognizeable line there is. Anyway I booked the pup from Barry Kiddy. The pups will be off of Wipeout Hellbilly.

Posted by Sandman on 04-02-2008 02:55 AM:

I owned Wipeout HellBilly until we sold him in Nov. 07. If there is anything you would like to know about him just give me a holler
334-268-6258
I have a pup off of him and a GrNT female off of Harry and a daughter to Wild Casey, so he is wipeout X clover. He will be 8 months old the 20th of April. He has treed 2 coons in the wild by hisself and treed with another dog on a few. I am also getting a pup off the litter you are getting one from. I think they should be some good ones.

Posted by Laura Bell on 04-02-2008 12:53 PM:

You will not be disappointed! This Bloodline is something else, if you haven't hunted with a Clover dog you won't know what I'm talking about.
Grab a December Issue of COONHOUND BLOODLINES and read the article "Hunting with the wild Dogs"

Posted by Brandon Eagan on 04-02-2008 12:57 PM:

all i got to say clover dogs rock

Posted by Nat Thomas on 04-02-2008 01:41 PM:

I was sitting around trying to think of something to say... Dont know... call Joe Newlin or I... I have cube down here or I will drive up there and turn loose anything on the property and you judge for yourself.

Joe Newlin 260 901 9011

Me 260 251 3030

Posted by Wingman66 on 04-02-2008 02:20 PM:

I have a female I got from Oak Ridge. Nice all around hound.

"Kim Jong-Un speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” An actual sitting US President said that. Let that sink in.

Posted by dan haehn on 04-03-2008 12:02 AM:

Rebels Fly just won the N.C. pkc state hunt championship. She is out of Johnsons Delta Rebel who was directly out of Stylish Clover. Nuff said. Congratulations to Turner/ Gregory.

Posted by h.c.cooner on 04-05-2008 03:45 PM:

I read the article in the Dec. Bloodlines. I really liked the things they had to say in it. I'm even more excited about my pup now.

Posted by john guinn on 04-05-2008 03:55 PM:

i have 2 clover bred dogs and i like both of them both are nitech with 3 wins towards grand

NITECH 'PR' BLACKWATER BUD owned by Sean Jenkins and Paige Guinn - 2012 B&T days cast winner - 2012 BBCHA FALL ROUND UP 2nd place nitech winner
Nitech 'PR' JENKINS OL' CROW owned by Sean Jenkins and John Guinn (Gone But Not Forgotten 9/02/2014)
phone 618-572-0287

Posted by NHBLUDOG on 04-05-2008 06:13 PM:

lone pine

Got 2 lone pine pups comming this summer from Steve Jenkins gonna try them on some bear. heard good things about them . sorry my first post said clover dogs. John

Posted by treesolid on 04-05-2008 07:42 PM:

john, what are the clover pups you are getting??

Posted by john guinn on 04-05-2008 08:11 PM:

we will be crossin or 2 clover bred dogs in the near future

NITECH 'PR' BLACKWATER BUD owned by Sean Jenkins and Paige Guinn - 2012 B&T days cast winner - 2012 BBCHA FALL ROUND UP 2nd place nitech winner
Nitech 'PR' JENKINS OL' CROW owned by Sean Jenkins and John Guinn (Gone But Not Forgotten 9/02/2014)
phone 618-572-0287

Posted by Sandman on 04-06-2008 04:57 PM:

We just bred Zeb Again to a Joker female that is clover on top and bottom. These pups should be real independent and scary accurate!!

Posted by LIGHTNING RIDGE on 03-22-2009 09:25 PM:

Here's a couple of pictures of some clover bred dogs on big game

I have had good luck with them out west and they are a very track minded dog!

Posted by Randy Tallon on 03-22-2009 10:58 PM:

MY GrNT is a little removed from Clover. He's direct out of Casey. He ain't much to look at, he isn't mouthy on track, has a good mouth, and a killer locate. He is a hard tree dog. He has never had a shock collar on him, never bothered off game. His next possum will be his first. He's not the typical black and white. He is ticked up a little, goes about 70 lbs. If I want to tree a coon in 80 degree weather I turn him loose. If I want to tree a coon in single digit weather......I turn him loose. As hard as a tree dog that he is if the tree is somewhere I can't get to him I can call him to me. I've had him tree 25 yards from me and a mile and a half away from me. Altho, he is capable of a big score he generally plays to his competition. It took 12 cast wins from win #4 and win #5. Two years ago he got hit by a car. I actually saw and heard the thump on the lower road. By the time I got to where he got hit and got out of the truck he was treed....with the meat. From what I have seen in the close to 30 years of being friends with Lee Logan, Ted Varshine, Larry Salmons, and Tony Daviduk......he's just another typical dog out of this line of dogs!

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Posted by ridgerunner88 on 03-22-2009 11:10 PM:

I have a clover female about 5 1/2 months old. See is very shy and stand offish. I've had her 1 month yesterday and she still does not trust me. She's getting a little better but it's slow going. Is this a common trait with this line or is she just unusually shy and spooky.

Posted by coop81 on 03-23-2009 01:57 AM:

I have a ? for you clover guys

I have raised two clover pups they are 10 months old now, they treed the house cat @ 10 weeks old, I got realy pump. At night they go hunting realy good but they pay no attenion to the old dog they both go and run there own track but they never get hook up my pations are running out. I have turn several Cage coon loose and they will tree it if they can SEE IT,but not by scent just confuse cause they both can run track good.ANY SUGGESTION PLEASE