UKC Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Partnership? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928523969)

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-06-2019 06:28 PM:

Partnership?

Anyone with any experience would like to school me on a the ins and outs of a partnership with a coondog. I own the dog and have several others I’m starting but like the dog too much to let him so I might do a partnership with the right person. How have you seen it work out best?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by 2nd Mac on 11-06-2019 06:31 PM:

Good way to dissolve a friendship.

Posted by Roy Grant on 11-06-2019 07:43 PM:

X2 If you can't hunt him sell him.

Posted by tommygunner on 11-06-2019 08:03 PM:

sure you give me the dog and $500 a month, Then I never answer your ph calls because im out hunting except for when I need more $$ to go to the hunts ,of coarse you will have to pay all expenses because of my recent run of bad luck , then I can tell you how we almost won but never do.

Posted by novicane65 on 11-06-2019 10:04 PM:

If you partner on a dog with someone make sure you both agree on most everything. I'm partners on a couple. And the only time we've not seen eye to eye was on a dog we had last winter. But after he seen what I seen she went down the road faster than she came here. If your opinion on a dog differs that much from your partner it won't work. And you need to set some ground rules for whose footing the bills on what. It can end friendships if you let it, or it can grow friendships. All depends on what you do and how you handle it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Posted by ole hoss on 11-06-2019 11:01 PM:

I usually get the head and they get the tail...only problem is there end doesn’t eat as much as mine

Posted by Rolin Blues on 11-06-2019 11:27 PM:

Partnership

Have had several myself, but know who i have been dealing with when i have done it & all have worked out well. Did start a new partnership with Ryan Smith in Missouri that has worked out great, but i gave him several names to check with, if he was worried about my 'respectability'. The closer you live to partner works better, too, so either of you can get dog back & forth if need be. Take care, Ron.

Posted by Dave Richards on 11-06-2019 11:47 PM:

Partnership

Any partnership is only as good as the partners involved, good partners equals good partnership. Simple but true. Dave

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-07-2019 11:58 AM:

Thanks for the comments everybody helping out a lot

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-07-2019 02:22 PM:

Been in several with many good men. Generally they are formed to combine the strength of one person with the strength of another person to give the dog the chance to reach it potential.

Several examples.
Young man that can hunt a dog with an old man that can support the effort.
One man that has room to raise pups to develop line of hounds with another man the wants to promote the line but his limited space but can hunt and train the line of hounds.
One man that has a good prospect, teaming up with someone that has better land to hunt the prospect on.

In most cases it comes down to one person wanting better for a hound and patterning with someone he feels can help bring out the best in the dog.

First thing you have to define is why you need a partner or what you are looking for the partner to bring to the table.
Then search your own heart and mind and decide what you bring to the table and the results you want from the partnership.

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-08-2019 09:15 PM:

Yeah I was looking forward to a partnership thinking 2 people can get more done and twice the woods is better as well

Posted by high ridge on 11-08-2019 09:27 PM:

I have had multiple partnerships. Some awesome,some terrible.
The number one thing to always remember is be able to pay 100% at any given time on expenses and expect nothing back. If you get it back great,if not know you in it for the fun.
You go into it that way the outcome will be better
Also, when you enter into it, enter in with the mindset of I had rather give my half of the dog to them than have hard feelings over a dog.

Posted by jdgher on 11-08-2019 09:35 PM:

What I've seen

I did it once or twice and all went well, but like most have said, it can ruin a friendship. I avoid them anymore just from watching others experiences.
If you are set on doing it, make sure you agree on some important stuff up front. Like what happens if one of you decides to sell your half. If the other would like to keep the dog, it could get expensive, I've seen that happen.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Posted by Dave Richards on 11-08-2019 10:09 PM:

High ridge

Best advice yet for anyone wanting a partnership on a dog. I would never do it again twice was enough for me. Have a buy or sell price before hand, one that the partner makes you a offer that you can then buy his half or sell him your half at the price he quotes, that keeps it real when they make you a price not some stupid offer. Dave

Posted by Jeff Prince on 11-09-2019 01:26 PM:

Don't partner with Bernie or Elizabeth 😃