UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 31 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Female won't hardly eat need some suggestions (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928500530)

Posted by Mark Antrim on 02-20-2018 05:39 PM:

Female won't hardly eat need some suggestions

I got a 3 year old female that just had pups Saturday night into Sunday. She has always been a very picky eater now that she has had pups she has only ate about 2 cans of can dog food. I took her to vet this morning he checked her, she doesn't have any more pups in her and gave her a shot of B12 and another shot and some of his can dog food that she acted like at vet she really liked it got home she took a couple bites and was done. She is starting to look very bad since she had 11 pups. I'm thinking about pulling pups off her rather than lose her. Vet said he wouldn't. I have raised several pups but have never had one that won't eat. But i will say she is probably best mom out of any i have raised. Just need to get weight on her quick. I've tried 4 kinds of can food and 3 types of hard food soaked.

Posted by SFWALKER on 02-20-2018 06:04 PM:

Go to another vet. Yours missed something. She should be eating more than usual without any enticement now that she is feeding pups. She is requiring 100x more calories per day to keep up with the metabolic demands of feeding pups. If she isn’t eating, something is bad wrong and it could get worse in a hurry.

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Southern Farms Jeb
GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Southern Farms Pearl
UKC NITECH AKC NITECH 'PR' Southern Farms Independence
'PR' Southern Farms Bohannon

Gone But Not Forgotten:
UKC NITECH GRCH AKC NITECH 'PR' Southern Farms Bocephus
GRNITECH 'PR' Lookin' Up Liberty

901-282-9262

Posted by hat creek mac on 02-20-2018 06:10 PM:

B12 will help with appetite. If you can get it, additional B12 injections will help in the days to come. I give penicillin after whelping for several days just in case she is fighting some kind of infection.

Try table scraps. Maybe cooking some hamburger meat for her? Maybe some chicken? Try several different things and maybe you will find something she really likes.

Posted by SFWALKER on 02-20-2018 06:22 PM:

Don’t just give antibiotics for a few days. That is how these antibiotic resistant super infections like MRSA and VRE occur. It’s better to find out what type of antigen it is and give the proper antibiotic, or have a vet prescribe the proper dosing of a broad-spectrum drug. And give the drug as prescribed.

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Southern Farms Jeb
GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Southern Farms Pearl
UKC NITECH AKC NITECH 'PR' Southern Farms Independence
'PR' Southern Farms Bohannon

Gone But Not Forgotten:
UKC NITECH GRCH AKC NITECH 'PR' Southern Farms Bocephus
GRNITECH 'PR' Lookin' Up Liberty

901-282-9262

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-20-2018 06:30 PM:

Pour the fat off whatever meat you have for supper over some high quality puppy chow. Or soak puppy chow in hot chicken broth. Also mix powdered milk supplement in with it. It has probiotics in it. Or add canned mackerel or tuna packed in oil to add Omegas. If she doesn't eat that then she is real sick.

Posted by Mark Antrim on 02-20-2018 06:48 PM:

Thanks for the replies. The vet did give me some Cephalexin to give her twice a day. I just fried a couple eggs and poured a little bacon grease over some can and hard dog food she ate about half of it, any other dog would have tried to eat the bowl.

Posted by Chris Snyder on 02-20-2018 06:48 PM:

This might sound crazy

But have you had her tested for Lymes? I had an identical situation this past summer.

Posted by hat creek mac on 02-20-2018 07:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Antrim
Thanks for the replies. The vet did give me some Cephalexin to give her twice a day. I just fried a couple eggs and poured a little bacon grease over some can and hard dog food she ate about half of it, any other dog would have tried to eat the bowl.

Sounds like you have the antibiotic part covered. I would think her appetite will increase a lot in the coming days. Lots of good suggestions. The tick deal may have some merit. So many things out there today that can affect our hounds. All the tick diseases are for real and can cause so many problems. Wouldn't hurt a thing to have a blood test done and check for that as well.

Posted by Blackjack ohio on 02-20-2018 08:44 PM:

Sounds funky but try adding some non spiced pumpkin it might help.

Posted by Blackjackplott on 02-20-2018 10:19 PM:

I've had several females that wouldn't eat much for a few days after whelping pups. She should start back eating in a couple days . They are more concerned with the pups than eating

Posted by shadinc on 02-20-2018 10:35 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Blackjackplott
I've had several females that wouldn't eat much for a few days after whelping pups. She should start back eating in a couple days . They are more concerned with the pups than eating
This has been my experience also.

Posted by MARSHALL AYERS on 02-20-2018 10:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
This has been my experience also.

X3

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Posted by Vic Stoll on 02-21-2018 12:22 AM:

Try some raw beef liver. It will help supplement milk production too. Last litter I had I gave the gyp 16 oz/day beef liver along with puppy chow. She gained weight while nursing those pups. She would suck down that liver like she craved it!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Posted by Rex Ridge on 02-21-2018 05:31 AM:

A friend's dog just had 12 pups, they were feeding her cottage cheese, fried eggs and steak.
Another friend works in a vet's office and told me dogs shouldn't get bacon grease.
Hope she starts eating better for u soon.

Posted by Hoosier on 02-21-2018 12:27 PM:

Good Luck

Good luck with her Mark!

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-21-2018 01:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Another friend works in a vet's office and told me dogs shouldn't get bacon grease..

Yeah, my doctor told me not to eat bacon also. But it tastes so good that I can't stop. I bet that dogs feel the same way.

Posted by deadeye ruck on 02-21-2018 03:49 PM:

Re: Female won't hardly eat need some suggestions

quote:
I got a 3 year old female that just had pups Saturday night into Sunday. She has always been a very picky eater now that she has had pups she has only ate about 2 cans of can dog food. I took her to vet this morning he checked her, she doesn't have any more pups in her and gave her a shot of B12 and another shot and some of his can dog food that she acted like at vet she really liked it got home she took a couple bites and was done. She is starting to look very bad since she had 11 pups. I'm thinking about pulling pups off her rather than lose her. Vet said he wouldn't. I have raised several pups but have never had one that won't eat. But i will say she is probably best mom out of any i have raised. Just need to get weight on her quick. I've tried 4 kinds of can food and 3 types of hard food soaked.

Mark,

As others have said, this is fairly common. If she is a good momma then that means she has cleaned each pup, eaten the afterbirth from each one and has been on 24 hour duty to keep them cleaned and fed. She probably isn't sleeping any either. If they have a sizeable litter, it is hard on the female for the first 3 days or so. They will get dragged down a bit but usually bounce back quick. This is one of the reasons why it's a good idea to try to keep them in good shape leading up to the day they are due.

As I am sure you know, the main thing to watch for is an infection (but in my experience, this usually doesn't show up until about a 5-7 days after birth) and also calcium deficiency. Feed her anything she'll eat, canned dog food, vanilla ice cream, egg, etc. I personally like to give mine cooked beef liver for the first few days after birth along with her food. The main thing to watch for is to make sure she is drinking water.

If she seems stiff, lethargic, etc then those are red flags to high tail it back to the vet. You can also monitor her temperature. Now that she has had pups, it should stay below 100 degrees.

Good luck with them. I have a good idea they will be just fine.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Posted by imacorgimom on 02-21-2018 04:05 PM:

Calcium! Tums, ice cream, cottage cheese. Also this is the only time I give them anything they want and I never have skinny dams. Chicken noodle soup, macaroni and cheese, egg salad sandwiches, canned chicken, ground beef and turkey, scrambled eggs with cheddar, sardines. My 25# girls go from 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day to eating 4-6 cups of kibble plus the above at the height of nursing. Continue through weaning then back off slowly. Healthy dams, healthy puppies.

Home to a bunch of short dogs who occasionally allow me the honor of holding the other end of their leads!

Posted by oklared on 02-21-2018 04:40 PM:

COTTAGE CHEESE AND OR BUTTER MILK, ALL SHE WANTS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by oklared on 02-21-2018 04:46 PM:

Re: Female won't hardly eat need some suggestions

quote:

DOUCH HER SO AS TO PREVENT INFECTION, A SHOT OF PEN-G

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by Mark Antrim on 02-21-2018 06:40 PM:

Ok update the vet give her a shot of Penicillin yesterday and she is on Cephalexin twice a day. She has ate a little more soaked food mixed with can food and cottage cheese. Going today to get some beef liver and some more cottage cheese since this is my first time I've been able to get to store.

Posted by Littletown on 02-23-2018 05:06 AM:

A lot of times, the females will eat some (or all) of the afterbirths during whelping. These are meant to be eaten, contain nutrition for the mother, and will also help with milk let-down.

I find that my mothers usually eat very little of their dog food for the first day or two, and they do just fine. Maybe they are "full" from eating all of the stuff they eat during whelping, or maybe they have a touch of nausea for a day or two.

But as long as the babies are nursing normally without crying, they are getting enough milk, and as long as the mother is attending to them and otherwise acting OK, I don't worry.

Good luck with your new babies, and please post photos for us to see !!

Deb

Posted by JOE H BROOKS on 02-23-2018 06:47 AM:

Female

You could give her a couple of cc's of olive oil, it is an antidote, for a lot of different poisions, but it seems to make the dog, want to eat, i've given it to dogs, that just wouldn't eat right, and after that they fattened up. You also might try cat food, they'll eat that before they'll eat can dog food.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-23-2018 02:51 PM:

It has been 5 or 6 days now how is she acting?

Posted by Bar M on 02-23-2018 08:03 PM:

Canned mackerel. Dogs love it, puts weight on. I would give her 2 or 3 cans a week while nursing pups.