UKC Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=)
-- Rule change to earn Grand CHampion? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=341718)

Posted by Johmanda on 03-14-2010 11:36 PM:

Rule change to earn Grand CHampion?

I was just going over the point schedule and rules for CH and GRCH. I noticed that the GRCH rules only state that there must be 5 competition wins at the Champion Level with competition and that it must be under at least 3 different judges. No mention of the need to win over at least 3 Champion/GrCH entries.

I sure do wish that UKC would post something to the boards when they make rule changes!!

Posted by LoupGarouTFTs on 03-14-2010 11:54 PM:

I just looked at the 2009 publication online and saw this:

quote:

C. Requirements for Grand Champion title. To earn a UKC Grand Champion title, a dog must:

1. Win the Champion class at least five times with competition, and

2. Win the Champion class under at least three different UKC licensed Judges.

D. Competition for the Grand Champion title. Competition is defined as at least three dogs correctly entered and shown in the Champion class. When awards are withheld from other dogs entered in the Champion class (i.e.,Reserve Champion) and a dog is declared the winner of the Champion class, the other dogs shall not count as competition. A Champion wining Best of Breed may count the number of Champions defeated as well as any Grand.Champions defeated by winning Best of Breed to fulfill the requirements of a competition win towards the Grand Champion title.

Are you looking at another publication or did you just miss the operational definition of "competition" in terms of a Grand Champion win?

Edited to add

Just to double-check, I looked at the link on the Rules page, right above the addendum for the Altered Champion rules. I found that the rule appeared the same there, too:

Here are the requirements for a Grand Champion (GRCH) title.

quote:
The requirements to earn the GRCH title is as follows: A Champion dogs must win the Champions class a minimum of 5 times with competition (a minimum of 3 Champions shown in this class) under 3 different judges. A Champion dog may earn a competition win towards its GRCH title if it wins BOB over a Grand Champion and the total number of dogs entered in the both the Champion class and the Grand Champion class meets or exceeds the minimum 3 dog requirement.

Altered Champions are also required to have three dogs in the class, male or female, to count as competition to earn a Grand Champion leg. I don't think that they'd have more stringent requirements for altered dogs than they would for intact ones, do you?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AKC and UKC Ch. UAG1 'PR' LoupGarou Kajun-Fox Beausoleil CD, RA, NA, NAJ, CGC
AKC Ch. And UKC GRC La Isla's Wickfair Watersprite, #7 Toy Fox Terrier 2011
U-Ch. 'PR' LoupGarou Cajunization
U-Ch. 'PR' LoupGarou Christmas Bayou
U-Ch. 'PR' LoupGarou Bay Toys Kyrie Eleison
U-Ch. 'PR' Stardust Saints Geaux Marching
Showboat Saintsational Season, HT, BN, CGC

RIP Roger Dodger Over and Out. Your time on this Earth was far too short. God bless and God speed.

Posted by lpn169 on 03-15-2010 10:11 AM:

There havent been any changes to the Gr Ch rules real recently that i know of. I believe (without looking it up) that it has been over a year, maybe 2 since they changed it from 3 wins to 5 to earn your GrCh title.

Has always been 3 for the number of entrants that are to be entered between the 2 Ch classes for it to qualify as a leg.

Posted by Johmanda on 03-15-2010 04:04 PM:

This is all that is on this page of conformation rules:
http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/...nPointSchedules

• Win five Champion classes with competition at five different shows

• Wins must be earned under at least three different UKC licensed Judges.

This is the page for Conformation Points Schedule. Is there another page that says something different? It would be crazy not to have the same rule stated the same way in multiple locations. JMNSHO.

Posted by LoupGarouTFTs on 03-15-2010 06:04 PM:

You're looking at something that is intended to be a crib sheet, not something that is the rule as stated. If you are looking for the rule as defined, you need to go to the rule book. There is no reason that they would impose more stringent rules for obtaining an altered grand champion degree than there are for obtaining the more usual grand champion degree for intact animals.

"Competition," as far as I know, still remains 1) defeating two other dogs in the Champion class or 2) a solitary champion taking Best of Breed over at least two grand champions in its breed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AKC and UKC Ch. UAG1 'PR' LoupGarou Kajun-Fox Beausoleil CD, RA, NA, NAJ, CGC
AKC Ch. And UKC GRC La Isla's Wickfair Watersprite, #7 Toy Fox Terrier 2011
U-Ch. 'PR' LoupGarou Cajunization
U-Ch. 'PR' LoupGarou Christmas Bayou
U-Ch. 'PR' LoupGarou Bay Toys Kyrie Eleison
U-Ch. 'PR' Stardust Saints Geaux Marching
Showboat Saintsational Season, HT, BN, CGC

RIP Roger Dodger Over and Out. Your time on this Earth was far too short. God bless and God speed.

Posted by gktsaakb on 06-22-2013 06:07 AM:

i wish they would change the rules

i understand having 5 wins but if you go to a club that has 1 dog enter the champion part how can UKC say this is fair. the owner put his dog in and show and no one else show up and enter how is that fair to him after he has spent mony on gas plus enter fee and come up not getting a win on his dog? can anyone tell me how this is fair to the owner? i know how fustrating it is to drive a long way and be the only champion showing.

Posted by pandbear on 06-22-2013 11:37 AM:

Neither UKC or individual Clubs guarantee competition for any breed!
You need to network with others that have your breed. I know all too well how it is to be the only breed entry sometime, but even if there were other entries, there's no guarantee who will get the win, no matter how far you travel. So you either enter and hope others of your breed will be there (which is usually a bust) or network.

Get more people involved. If there aren't any regular class entries, obviously there won't be any up and coming CH's as competition.

Posted by Ohana on 07-04-2013 07:24 PM:

gktsaakb try and contact other fanciers locally to try and ensure a champion class. We are a close knit group here in VA and we communicate pretty well to ensure we're not wasting money to go to a show where we wont have competition.

UKC doesn't have to ensure competition. It's a gamble, especially if you're not in communication with other people in your breed.

OFA cardiac normal by board cert cardiologist,
OFA patellas normal by board certified surgeon.

CH 'PR' Ohanas Harajuku Girl *Kawaii*
OFA Good, Elbows Normal
OFA cardiac normal by board cert cardiologist
OFA patellas normal by board cert surgeon

Posted by AnkhuIGs on 07-06-2013 12:49 AM:

You need to go beyond and read further. As per the same reference:

C. Requirements for Grand Champion
title. To earn a UKC Grand Champion title, a dog
must:
1. Win the Champion class at least five times
with competition, and
2. Win the Champion class under at least three
different UKC licensed Judges.
D. Competition for the Grand Champion
title. Competition is defined as at least three
dogs correctly entered and shown in the
Champion class

Home of Multi-BIS U-GrCh, Multi Group Winning/Placing AKC Bronze GCh, MBIS/MRBIS Int'l Ch, CKC Ch. Pineridge-Anji's St. Cecilia

Home of BIS/MRBIS U-GrCh., MBPIG CKC Ch., Int'l Ch, AKC GCh. Ankhu's Steamy Windows

No part of this message may be forwarded without permission

Posted by gktsaakb on 07-07-2013 08:07 PM:

how is that fair

when you drive so many miles and when you get there your hound is the only enter. how can UKC justified there rules being fair. way I look at it if a person goes any long distance to another club and say another dog is in the show and I win that win should count toward Grand champion of show even if I am the only dog which would be not my fought or the dogs fought should count for a win toward the grand show. it not right for me to drive to other clubs spend money for gas and entry fee and come away with nothing to show for my win since most club have stop giving trophy and all you get is the win slip

Posted by mjhearn on 07-07-2013 09:16 PM:

Re: how is that fair

quote:
Originally posted by gktsaakb
another dog is in the show and I win that win should count toward Grand champion of show even if I am the only dog . . . . it not right for me to drive to other clubs spend money for gas and entry fee and come away with nothing to show for my win since most club have stop giving trophy and all you get is the win slip [/B]

gktsaakb - Are you by any chance referring to the bench shows that the hunting dogs have? If so, those rules are completely different than the rules being talked about here, which are for all-breed and multi-breed conformation shows.

The reason I ask is because you mention "Grand Champion of Show". There is no such award at the all-breed and multi-breed conformation shows. Our grand champion title only applies on a breed level. Also, we do not get win slips for any wins from the class level up to best in show. Mostly we just get ribbons of varying sizes depending on the win.

"Preston" UKC/Intl/Nat CH Corjalin's The Warhawk PT, CTL1-H, CTL1-F, CTL1-R, CTL2-H, CTL2-F, CGC, TT, HIC

"Falcon" UKC CH Corjalin Wyldrose's Dream Weaver HIC

“Cash” VCH, AKC/UKC/IABCA Int’l & Nat CH, UAGI, UCD (2/3 UCDX) Corjalin’s Excelsior HT, Am/Can CD, RE, NA, NAP, NAJ, OJP, HIC, TT, CGC, BPDX, Can ptd, CCA-VA (4/9/00- 7/11/11)

“Luke” VCH, UAGII, UCDX Corjalin Triview’s Magician HT, CDX, RA, Can CD, OA, OAP, NAJ, OJP, AGN, HIC, TT, CGC, BPD, FFX-AP (5/19/99 - 11/18/10)

Posted by gktsaakb on 07-07-2013 10:37 PM:

talking about coonhund event

I am talking about the UKC coonhound event

Posted by mjhearn on 07-07-2013 11:57 PM:

That explains it! The coonhound rules are very different from the rules being discussed here. You should post your concerns on the coonhound board, where people familiar with the coonhound events will see it. This board is for the non-hunting type events, and very few people on it know anything about the hunting events.

"Preston" UKC/Intl/Nat CH Corjalin's The Warhawk PT, CTL1-H, CTL1-F, CTL1-R, CTL2-H, CTL2-F, CGC, TT, HIC

"Falcon" UKC CH Corjalin Wyldrose's Dream Weaver HIC

“Cash” VCH, AKC/UKC/IABCA Int’l & Nat CH, UAGI, UCD (2/3 UCDX) Corjalin’s Excelsior HT, Am/Can CD, RE, NA, NAP, NAJ, OJP, HIC, TT, CGC, BPDX, Can ptd, CCA-VA (4/9/00- 7/11/11)

“Luke” VCH, UAGII, UCDX Corjalin Triview’s Magician HT, CDX, RA, Can CD, OA, OAP, NAJ, OJP, AGN, HIC, TT, CGC, BPD, FFX-AP (5/19/99 - 11/18/10)