UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Where do they get their money ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928524423)

Posted by yadkintar on 11-21-2019 12:49 PM:

Where do they get their money ?

First off I will rant a little back in the day I spent tons of money with the kc’s. I had three stud dogs all were performanced and SS all at the same time. And I have made that 16 hour trip to major hunts more than most of these young handlers are years old. I am fat , bad knees, bad back , plate and 10 screws in my ankle and I still hunt at least three nights a week and on that once a month check there is no room for $350 entry fees. So if you win 50% of your cast that’s really a good average you will not break even after all expenses unless you win a major. These young people are in at least a $100 to $200 entry every weekend plus a couple little ones during the week.

What kinda job they got that pays them enough to do that ?

Tar

Posted by johnny reb on 11-21-2019 01:15 PM:

I would say percentage wise it’s a small number that average spending $1-200 weekly just on entries throughout the ntire year. A large percentage of those that do spend that or more have a partner. Keep putting the money you get from hunts or selling a dog or 2 back into your hunting funds. You aren’t going to make money but you could offset some of the costs. I wonder what the average person here spends on entry’s for a year.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-21-2019 01:26 PM:

Well lol I raise my own dogs I enjoy training I can do that at my own pace. But I usually won’t put one in the hunts till about 3 years old and at that point the dog just might not suit me. A serious competition hunter it’s really easier and cheaper in the long run just to buy a good dog. I for one won’t put one in the hunts if I don’t have confidence in it winning. After the first of the year you can bet I will be after those 5 cast wins. If you say you will spend a $100 a cast and it takes you 10 cast to get it taking in concideration getting beat and dead cast that will be a $1,000 but in the minie slams you will win part of it back.

Tar

Posted by Richard Lambert on 11-21-2019 01:33 PM:

Tarbaby, the ones in my area have a backer with money. Didn't you have one way back when you were one of those young guys?

Posted by johnny reb on 11-21-2019 01:37 PM:

What do you think the average person spends on entries a month? It is not a cheap sport but you can spend as much or as little as you want.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-21-2019 01:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, the ones in my area have a backer with money. Didn't you have one way back when you were one of those young guys?

Yes I did but that was way back in the 80’s after I decided to push my own dogs it was all on me. I for one spent way more than I should have lol.

Tar

Posted by Pat Bizich on 11-21-2019 03:28 PM:

In the past I known of ,And I am not making these up actually happened ……………...
Some that were still living with mommy and daddy and had no other expenses.
Some that are living paycheck to paycheck and not married.
Others that farmed ,used a diesel and off road fuel, that wrote off all the fuel as farm related.
Then there were a couple supplementing their income with a not so legal form of income.
And then the ones that were caught stealing from their clubs treasury.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Posted by Richard Lambert on 11-21-2019 03:46 PM:

Coon hunting and car racing are excellant ways to spend cash money that you can't claim on your income taxes. Sometimes it is the young guy and sometimes it is the backer.

Posted by Dave Richards on 11-22-2019 03:47 AM:

Mr. Lambert

You can add horses to the dogs and car racing, along with a few more. I never intended or wanted my hobbies to be a tax write off. My hobbies are just that, and so are everyone else's. A hobby should be for fun, some just cost more than others. You could not pay me enough to hunt coon dogs, but I do it for free, same with the horses, we enjoy them and if I didn't I would be doing something else. My wife and I do not count the dollars we spend on on our hobbies, instead we count the happiness and joy that our hobbies bring to us. Dave

Posted by johnny reb on 11-22-2019 04:36 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Coon hunting and car racing are excellant ways to spend cash money that you can't claim on your income taxes. Sometimes it is the young guy and sometimes it is the backer.

You could claim hobbies like coonhunting or car racing until the new tax law went into effect last year. It can still be done under the new tax laws. Now you’ve got to treat it like a for profit business. It is considered a for profit business if it produces taxable income.

Posted by shadinc on 11-22-2019 04:53 AM:

I wonder the same thing about bass fishermen. $50,000 truck, $60,000 bass boat and about $100 per week for gas. I have a bass boat that hasn't been out in 4 years. Every time I save up enough for gas, I need dog food. LOL

Posted by nitehunter2004 on 11-22-2019 10:49 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
You could claim hobbies like coonhunting or car racing until the new tax law went into effect last year. It can still be done under the new tax laws. Now you’ve got to treat it like a for profit business. It is considered a for profit business if it produces taxable income.

You can show a lost for 5/7 years.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-22-2019 10:51 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
You can show a lost for 5/7 years.

I got a 40 yr loss on the dogs and I need it.

Tar

Posted by Triple K Kennel on 11-22-2019 10:51 AM:

Money.....

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I wonder the same thing about bass fishermen. $50,000 truck, $60,000 bass boat and about $100 per week for gas. I have a bass boat that hasn't been out in 4 years. Every time I save up enough for gas, I need dog food. LOL

😁😁......👍👍
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-22-2019 12:31 PM:

Tar it is not just coon hunting. People spend a lot of money on toys they use in their hobbies. My biggest customers for hunting supplies this time of year is Deer Hunters. Down here in the South most use dogs and they have from 1-20. Had several this year walk in and drop $6,500 on a 20 dog system. These Guys spend more money on Garmin Tracking systems than I use to spend on vehicles. Some make their money the old fashion way of working. Others have figured out different methods. Most are hard working young men with families that enjoy the outdoors.
Thanksgiving Day will be my 52nd wedding anniversary. My Wife yesterday got me a toy that I didn't need but just had to have. I got a Browning BAR Mark III Hells Canyon Edition. She wants another Diamond Necklace that she doesn't need. But she will get one. It is just what we do.
Actually headed out now to sight the Rifle in.
What I would like to do while we are sorting out how and why everyone can spend their money on nonsense. Is to remember. This is the time of year giving to others so they may have a warm meal is important. A Thanksgiving meal or Christmas meal can mean a lot to someone. Support your local Church that does food baskets or a local charity that does them. When I was a young boy. Those food baskets was all there was between My Mom and I going hungry during the Holidays. My Mom never stopped working and trying to keep me warm and fed. That built a work ethic in me that gets me out of bed every morning even at 70 and gets my motor running. I either go to work, go help someone in need or go enjoy a toy that I worked hard for during my life and have no regrets having.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-22-2019 12:38 PM:

Funny thing about reading you thoughts on Bass Boats is. $60,000 down here is a little lite. That is a good used one. Many new ones are approaching the $100,00 mark. LOL
I priced an aluminum G3 a couple months ago that was $35,000. The bow fishing model was close to $50,000. I will stick to my pontoon boat. Get there slower but easy on gas, almost impossible to turn over and has enough room to throw a party on.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-22-2019 12:43 PM:

Think about this. There are many of you that enjoy a cold beverage after work. While enjoying the beverage a cigarette is enjoyed. Like in the movie Waterboy "mama said" those things were bad so she saved me enough money by me not smoking and drinking to afford coon hunting.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-22-2019 12:59 PM:

Bruce since we are talking about deer hunters I kinda lost interest in it it’s just me and mrs tar here and she don’t like to eat it but I used to love it. But was cutting hay in Texas across the river from me last week it’s a 1 1/2 miles to the last field from the gate and it’s public hunting. One evening as I was opening the gate to leave there was a young man with all the latest camo and calls and rattling horns and pulling a wagon. I opened the gate and talked to him a minute I could tell he watched a lot of YouTube lol. He said he drove 5 hours to get there because he couldn’t afford a lease to hunt. I told him good luck and he walked on. I always just a habit I guess when that tractor beats me to death walk in the woods and scout a little bit. Well the next day I go in and here he sets on top of our round bails in total camo in an open field. Nobody else but him in there so I stopped and said had any luck he said no. I told him you want to kill a deer go in that far field right against that ridge and the deer are coming up it and eating in that wheat patch there is a big trail you can’t miss it set down behind a tree and be quiet you will get one. Well I didn’t see him all day but that evening when I went to leave I was opening the gate and I heard him shoot and I could tell he hit it. I bet I made his day. Everybody should be able to enjoy hunting.

Posted by Todd K / UKC on 11-22-2019 01:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
......and I heard him shoot and I could tell he hit it. I bet I made his day.

OK...I'll bite....how can you tell someone hit or missed a deer they were shooting at when you are at a distance?

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-22-2019 01:22 PM:

Tar, I use to be addicted to Deer Hunting as much as I coon Coon Hunting. I did both with dogs. I worked shift work most of my life and that gave me some part of every day to run my dogs on deer. Actually for me it isn't about harvesting the deer. It was just having dogs with the capability to find and run them as they should. Having good deer hounds you can control is like having good coonhounds. Many say any dog will run a deer. But will they run the deer you want them to run from the spot you want them jumped in. I never had a taste for deer and I haven't killed one in years, even though I have been hunting several times just to hear the dogs run.
My Grand Daughter about a week ago who is 20 said she wanted to go deer hunting. So we will probably go this weekend with me. My Son in TN does a lot of deer hunting out of a stand. He is over killing the small deer and only takes a big one. He hunted in KY last week with Kevin Rainwaters Son Brad and they harvested a couple nice ones. I could care less if I ever kill another one. But I do have my eye on one area that has had an extremely nice buck for FL on some game cameras. That one I would be very happy harvesting. Chances for me are about 1 in a million but I just want to see some pictures of him once someone get him.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-22-2019 01:26 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Todd K / UKC
OK...I'll bite....how can you tell someone hit or missed a deer they were shooting at when you are at a distance?

He was using a 7mm mag lol. At a distance you hear the boom and a kerthunk really lol.

Tar

Posted by yadkintar on 11-22-2019 01:30 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar, I use to be addicted to Deer Hunting as much as I coon Coon Hunting. I did both with dogs. I worked shift work most of my life and that gave me some part of every day to run my dogs on deer. Actually for me it isn't about harvesting the deer. It was just having dogs with the capability to find and run them as they should. Having good deer hounds you can control is like having good coonhounds. Many say any dog will run a deer. But will they run the deer you want them to run from the spot you want them jumped in. I never had a taste for deer and I haven't killed one in years, even though I have been hunting several times just to hear the dogs run.
My Grand Daughter about a week ago who is 20 said she wanted to go deer hunting. So we will probably go this weekend with me. My Son in TN does a lot of deer hunting out of a stand. He is over killing the small deer and only takes a big one. He hunted in KY last week with Kevin Rainwaters Son Brad and they harvested a couple nice ones. I could care less if I ever kill another one. But I do have my eye on one area that has had an extremely nice buck for FL on some game cameras. That one I would be very happy harvesting. Chances for me are about 1 in a million but I just want to see some pictures of him once someone get him.

I got one on the wall a 13 point main beam you can’t reach around 9” brow tines till I see one bigger than him I shoot those tender does.

Tar

Posted by Preacher Tom on 11-22-2019 06:10 PM:

Where I grew up in western Oklahoma in the 50's and early 60's we didn't have many deer so I didn't get into it. But I loved running rabbits with beagles, hunting quail with bird dogs, squirrel hunting with a squirrel dog and coon hunting. Finally figured out if you can hunt it with a dog I like it, if you can't I don't care much for it. Buy the way the 80 acres I grew up on is now prime deer hunting. All my brothers and brother in laws have killed nice deer there. Only deer I ever killed was one with a broken leg my beagles caught in a creek. I just love to see a dog do good work.

Posted by Will Walker on 11-24-2019 10:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
In my experience the ones around here should have saved their money and spent it on fishing lessons !

Posted by johnny reb on 11-25-2019 06:20 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Will Walker
In my experience the ones around here should have saved their money and spent it on fishing lessons !

Don’t you know you get skill points for every $10,000 spent on a boat. So a $60,000 boat will make you go to bass master champion. All joking aside I’ve got a couple buddy’s that get a new boat ever 3-4 years. I finally asked. How they were able to get $60-70000 boats every few year’s. You can finance those things as long as. Mortgage on a house. That’s they way they are able to afford them.