UKC Forums
Show all 14 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Question about starting a pup (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928537224)

Posted by gerald mullis on 03-03-2021 03:55 PM:

Question about starting a pup

Ok guy gives you a pup at wean age its yours ,at 6 months old its has started ready to single out . He gave it to you with op to buy back. Whats it worth
Just like to get a few thoughts
Thanks

Posted by Richard Lambert on 03-03-2021 04:09 PM:

Depends on how much you like the pup. Buy back price should have been agreed upon when you first got the pup.
1. Do you price the pup for anyone to buy and breeder gets first option on whether he wants to buy?
2. Do you try to figure out how much money it has cost you to feed, care for and start pup?
3. Do you decide how much money it would take to persuade you to let the pup go?

How can someone else tell you what your dog is worth? The person that gave you the pup can only tell you what he is willing to pay to get the pup back and then you can decide if you are willing to let it go for that price.

Posted by gerald mullis on 03-03-2021 04:43 PM:

I asked that question to see what you would do it for, there is a lot of things come into play feed , wormer , vaccines ,paper work . But just say he has first op if he does not want you can sell or keep . What be your bid to do this ?
Thanks

Posted by DL NH on 03-03-2021 05:31 PM:

Do you own the dog now? If so, why aren’t you free to set the price you want for it? Did you sign some agreement or give the man your word (which use to be considered as good as your signature!) regarding terms for sale of the dog in the future?

For the most part a dog is only worth what the prospective buyer is willing to pay!

What are others getting for a dog similar to yours?

Posted by johnny reb on 03-04-2021 01:10 AM:

Re: Question about starting a pup

quote:
Originally posted by gerald mullis
Ok guy gives you a pup at wean age its yours ,at 6 months old its has started ready to single out . He gave it to you with op to buy back. Whats it worth
Just like to get a few thoughts
Thanks

It’s worth whatever you decide to sell it for. He gave you the pup with the option to buy back if you decided to sell. So he gets first chance to buy or not. As far as price there are many variables such as pedigree, program eligibility etc. So the price could be anywhere from $1000+. Only you can answer what it would take to sell the pup.

Posted by Lance Laymon on 03-04-2021 12:02 PM:

Gerald you start and sell as many pups as anyone, if you don't know what they are worth how would we!

Posted by gerald mullis on 03-04-2021 02:04 PM:

I start pups yes take them in 2 weeks to a month charge a fee . I like getting a pup at weaning age and starting them , but I usually just break even. I thought you give me a pup ( we set a fee )
There is a few well bred pups for sale every now and then but way out of my price range i thought give that option see if anyone interested .
I have a idea what I would charge .
Just see what you all thought be worth .
Thanks
Guess it all boils down to what a started pup worth .

Posted by Dan&Ann on 03-04-2021 02:53 PM:

Option

My question is how can you agree on a option price for down the road on a 8 week old pup. Putting strings on dog deals never seem to work out for this reason. Everyone has their own interpretation of what the strings attached are. This 6 month old puppy could be a dud or be the next rising star. The value of a puppy changes as it progresses. Setting the price gives all the advantage to the breeder, and the guy who trained the dog gets locked in on a price that is probably not fair. I am sure every breeder would like to lock in on an option price for every puppy they move so they can get the next super star for near nothing...just my two cents

Posted by Donnie Stevens on 03-04-2021 07:07 PM:

Define started and ready to be singled out....it's only six months old what's it doing ?

By my definition if it's ready to be singled out means if I put it in the right situation its gonna tree coons alone. Right now.

Posted by gerald mullis on 03-04-2021 11:36 PM:

Donnie yes 6 months was an example 6 -12 months ready to single out .

Posted by honalieh on 03-07-2021 03:59 AM:

What's It Worth?

That seems irrelevant.

To me, the option to buy back only comes into play IF you decide to sell.

Price? That would depend on what you would sell it to someone else for. If you were going to sell it to someone else for $1,000, he should get first crack at that price. If you offer it back to him for $1,000, he declines, and you sell it for $1,000, all is well and good. If, on the other hand, you offered it back to him for $1,000, then sell it at a lower price, then you will have reneged on the deal.

Short of some previous agreement, the SELL option is strictly YOUR choice. If you do decide to sell, he should get first crack at the SAME price that you would sell it to someone else for.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 03-08-2021 02:16 PM:

From your clarification, that sounds like a great deal for the breeder.
Paying someone to start a pup is a big gamble. You pay $500 for a pup and then pay $300/month for 3-4 months to get it started, you will have $1,500 in the pup. Now the gamble is that you might have a $1,500-$3,000 pup or one that is worth $0. Everyone knows that they don't all make it.

But if you give someone a pup and they spend 4-6 months starting it and you then have the option to either buy the pup for $1,500-$2,500 or let them keep it, you won't lose any money.

That puts all of the "risk" on the pup starter. They might spend 4-6 months on a pup and get nothing for it. The pup starter would have to have a lot of faith in their ability.

To make it a fair gamble you would have to put "odds" on the side of the pup starter by agreeing on a price of $3,500.

Posted by Dave Richards on 03-09-2021 05:10 AM:

Pup

I seldom agree with Mr. Lambert on anything, but I think he was spot on with both of his responses. Value is subjective to what the buyer is actually willing to give and that is subjective to how good the dog is and how much the buyer wants the dog. We all see thing a little different and I may pay way more than someone else if I really like something. Every dog and pup is worth more to some folks and less to others. Dogs are not assembly line produced, each is different and folks taste or opinions are certainly different. One man's treasure is another man's trash. Lol. Dave

Posted by gerald mullis on 03-09-2021 06:42 PM:

Thanks for your replies .