UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 31 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Best live trap bait for coons (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=286000)

Posted by Carl Fox on 07-07-2009 12:48 PM:

DELETE

DELETE

Posted by bubbasullivan on 07-07-2009 01:05 PM:

sardines

pull the tab up and crack the lid about a quarter inch... leave tab upright and place a stick through both sides of the cage and through the ring of the sardine can! works for me every time. the only con to this is one in ten will be a possum

Posted by stinkbait1 on 07-07-2009 01:14 PM:

bait

i just put the bait under the traps pan and when the coon tries to get it, bam he's caught. i have the best luck on peanut butter.

Posted by coon dawg on 07-07-2009 01:16 PM:

........thin line of Karo syrup leading into the trap........chocolate chip cookies inside..........you can catch 'em in a ripe sweet corn patch with this..............

Posted by Robert Johnson on 07-07-2009 02:01 PM:

brown sugar, peanut butter, powdered donuts, honey buns, almost anything that is sweet will get them in the trap quickly.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by wade lucking on 07-07-2009 02:17 PM:

big marshmellows work best for me.

'Pr' Lucking's Code Red Mountain Dew ( Owned by chad porter and myself) ( Daughter of Desperado) 2 1st place wins ukc nite hunt. 1 best of show with comp , bench show.

'Pr' Lucking's Northern Red Tucker

AND THE PAST:
NT.CH.CH.LUCKING'S KN. LAKE TROOPER
NT.CH.GR.CH.LUCKING'S RAISIN KANE(son of trooper)
NT.CH.CH. LUCKING'S MAD MAGGIE(niece to tornado)
GR.CH.NT.CH.LUCKING'S RED TORNADO(son of trooper)
NT.CH.GR.CH.L&I RED HOT WYLIE(son of tornado)
'pr'lucking's northern red cowgirl (daughter of wylie)(needs just a 1st given to mark barnett)
nt.ch.gr.ch.Lucking's Midnite Desperado (son of cowgirl)(sold to bill tabler)
Nt.Ch.Ch. Desperado's Midnite 3 D(son of Desperado) (given to larry tabler)

Posted by Larry Atherton on 07-07-2009 03:13 PM:

The problem is not the bait. The problem is the coon are getting trap shy. Do you think if you got worked over when you went into a IHOP that you would keep going back?

When I was doing Animal Damage Control (ADC) work every now and then I would run into coons that were trap shy. The more you catch them the worse they get.

My best recommendation is find a new set location and forget that one. In the long run it will be much less head ache.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Virgil on 07-07-2009 03:25 PM:

Something I started using this spring and have yet to go to an empty cage with is mixing peanut butter and dog food. I cut off a pop bottle and mix them together.

Posted by 1walker_dog on 07-07-2009 03:26 PM:

peanut butter with dog food mixed in has been working great for me. I always catch a coon on the 2nd night using this.
I cut the bottom of a 2 liter pop bottle. Sprinkle some of the dog food around the cage and leading in the door.

Posted by Ray&Luie on 07-07-2009 03:45 PM:

Bait

Some one told me once Plain or BQ Corn Chips from Fritto lay was the best they ever saw for Coons they eat every thing out side and inside the trap ............. thats what they said anyways

Ray Hudson

Posted by Robert Johnson on 07-07-2009 03:47 PM:

think i will try that too..peanut butter mixed in dog food

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by K. Singletary on 07-07-2009 04:26 PM:

I use a little bowl of molasses.

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Posted by coonernc on 07-07-2009 05:58 PM:

i think

i think the molasses is the best,maybe saok a peice of bread in it and put it in little peices . it will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by brianshts on 07-07-2009 06:32 PM:

lol

we use shrimp it works 4 us

Posted by Cliffside Chris on 07-07-2009 06:44 PM:

TUNA FISH AND SMALL MARSH MELLOWS MAKE A TRAIL OF MARSH MELLOWS GOING INTO THE TRAP ABOUT 10-15 BEHIND THE TRUDDEL - MAKE A SCENT TRAIL WITH THE TUNA OIL 10' IN FRONT OF THE TRAP LEADING INTO THE TRAP IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH FISH OIL TO PUT INTO A SPRAY BOTTLE MAKE A -T- SHAPE TRAIL GOING IN. PUT MEAT BEHIND THE TRUDDEL I HAVE TRAPPED MY WHOLE LIFE IM 31YR TRAPPED FOR A LIVING 5YR. THIS IS THE BEST WAY I HAVE EVER SEEN ALTHOUGH COON WILL EAT MANY THINGS. P.S. STAKE YOUR TRAP DOWN IF NOT THEY'LL ROLL IT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Black Water English & Black & Tan
-------------------------------------------
NITCH Black Water "PR"Ethel: (Briar Creek Zeb X Postells Hard Treeing Kate) RIP

''PR'' Dark Shadow Blue Dot (Rapper X Timber Queen)

Black Water "PR" Mabeline (Rasputin X Sugar)

Posted by dean mace on 07-07-2009 07:47 PM:

bait

I TAKE A PILL BOTTLE MAKE HOLE IN BOTTOM FILL PACK MY FEEDER BUCKET CANDY INSIDE IT PUT A WIRE THOURGH IT HANG IN THE BACK OF CAGE,BETWEEN THE TIGER AND BACK WHEN HE STANDS UP TO GET IT,YOU WILL GET HIM EVERY TIME.HAVE HAD 2 IN ONE TRAP BEFORE.

Posted by on 07-07-2009 08:23 PM:

There is no "best bait" for coons. There are so many things that will work that it is almost limitless. I use large marshmellows just because they are very cheap and very simple to use. At one time I made the effort to conceal and camo my traps but not anymore, I set them along a creek, out in the open, in plain sight and catch one every night. I have also caught them with no bait at all. They just go in out of curiousity I guess.

Posted by Tar12 on 07-07-2009 08:59 PM:

Jack Mackrel.It has a "loud" fish smell to it.It is guaranteed to catch coon...and lots of them.

Posted by cody_leohr on 07-07-2009 09:31 PM:

honeybuns work well , and ive cuaght some on jelly, and also i have took some corn and some cool-aid and mixed them together and had good luck with that also

Pr' Leohr's Midnight Lighting

Pr'Leohr's Midnight Brandy

HUNT WALKERS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Jamie S on 07-08-2009 03:24 AM:

we use golf balls... they must think it's an egg and they sure can't eat em.... saves on feeding em outta my cupboards and we set the traps by creeks and almost anywhere coon make themselves a pain ie... dairy barns, etc

Posted by osagebl on 07-08-2009 04:01 AM:

bait

big marshmellows and grape jelly

Posted by MS. Kennels on 07-08-2009 04:11 AM:

sardines........will always work.....coons just cant turn em down.....

Posted by BIG RAFT on 07-08-2009 04:57 AM:

What Works For Me

Is rice crispy treat I take a big bottle of Vanila Xtract (you can get it at a dollar store for $1 Big Bottle) I poke holes into the top of the bottle and let it drip all the way into where I am going to set my tap once I set my trap I pour some on top of the rice crispy treat and I drip some in front of the trap . Here is also a little tip alway cover your trap with brush , limbs and leaves camo the trap coons are smart and when you camo the trap they think they are going into a hole to eat, This has worked for me everytime.

Lot Lizzard II "AkA" Lil Lizzy
(Judge Dredd x Lot Lizard)
Dredd Again "AkA" King
(Judge Dredd x Mnt Time Lucky)

Big River Hound Supply
Garmin Astro Dc30 Combo Special
$500
Free Shipping!!!
See Special On Garmin's Post

Posted by walkercash on 07-08-2009 05:12 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
The problem is not the bait. The problem is the coon are getting trap shy. Do you think if you got worked over when you went into a IHOP that you would keep going back?

When I was doing Animal Damage Control (ADC) work every now and then I would run into coons that were trap shy. The more you catch them the worse they get.

My best recommendation is find a new set location and forget that one. In the long run it will be much less head ache.

I concur!

We use a lot of "proffesional" berry smelling baits, is that what you used Larry?

Honey Buns, tuna fish, peanut butter, McDonalds Chicken Nuggets, they all work. Some lead to more critters that your not after though.

Whitey Dogs ROCK!!!
I use and recommend Kelley's K-Lights.

Posted by on 07-08-2009 12:38 PM:

Strawberry jelly sandwich & you won't catch grinner's or skunk's. All I've caught using that is coon.

Good luck!!