UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 46 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Shocking coon prices in wisconsin (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=236714)

Posted by Jay Dangers on 11-02-2008 02:47 AM:

Shocking coon prices in wisconsin

We took 12 coon to the fur buyer from GROENEWOLD, last night. He offered us $18.00 for a jumbo which weighed 32 lbs when I skinned him. The other 11 coon ranged in weight from 19 to 25 lbs, he offered us two for a $1.00.

What happened to the high prices? The fur buyer told us it did not matter if they were skinned or not, an old guy who trapped a pickup truck load of coon only walked away with $126.00

He would not take any yotes, and gave a speech about the decline in fuel and corn prices, which affect the price of fur....?????

He also said he did not know how long he would be buying furs this season.

Posted by CooperCreek on 11-02-2008 03:15 AM:

World wide economic uncertainty.....

I'm not gonna feel sorry for the guys that planned on making a million dollars hunting/trapping coons this year.

If you are in it for the money, you can get out as fast as you got in and leave more for me and others who enjoy this sport for other reasons besides raking in the greenbacks.

Posted by boonebrandau on 11-02-2008 10:18 AM:

I agree I think it's funny all those guy that ran out and bought a dog or bought a bunch of traps thinking they were going to get rich they all quit leave the coon hunting to people that just enjoy it for what it is.

Posted by perry co cooner on 11-02-2008 01:30 PM:

I can understand why coonhunter love having alot of coon around but as with any animal some have to be harvested to keep the population under control. I believe it's called coon HUNTING not coon treeing.

Posted by coonsmen on 11-02-2008 01:45 PM:

i thought they bought on futures. for the auctions next year. i know they have a huge warehouse to keep the tanned hides.even with the market the way it is i am supprised about the 2 for a dollar.

Posted by mjflores on 11-02-2008 02:33 PM:

You've got to be mistaken! Better check with trappin girl on here, she promised everyone $40 per coon.

NTCH GRCH 'PR' Stylish Dolly
'PR' Bear Brook Midnight Cruiser
'PR' Bear Brook Midnight Dancer

Posted by Dan Dogs on 11-02-2008 03:11 PM:

HIP HIP HURRAY, know maybe i can hunt right out my back door when the neighbor pulls all his traps up!!!

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by coonsmen on 11-02-2008 03:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by mjflores
You've got to be mistaken! Better check with trappin girl on here, she promised everyone $40 per coon.

lol lets not open that bag again.

Posted by on 11-02-2008 03:27 PM:

Don't worry, Monday mourning trapin girl will be here to assure one and all that these reports of low coon prices is all just an illusion. Then she will copy the fur market report from FFG and swear 40.00 coons are the norm. And don't give her no crap cause she been huntin and trappin coons since she was 5.

Posted by Dan Dogs on 11-02-2008 03:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Don't worry, Monday mourning trapin girl will be here to assure one and all that these reports of low coon prices is all just an illusion. Then she will copy the fur market report from FFG and swear 40.00 coons are the norm. And don't give her no crap cause she been huntin and trappin coons since she was 5.
how old is she now?? 13

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by MikeO on 11-02-2008 04:16 PM:

well shucks, there goes my plan of getting rich selling furs.
dangit guess i cant quit my job now.

And the pup 'pr' Owen's Rock River Ace...

Mike Owen owner/handler. hunting in style (WALKER STYLE)

Posted by 1deadeye on 11-02-2008 04:44 PM:

Jay,
Who did you sell to? Groenewold ?
Scott

Posted by josh on 11-02-2008 04:45 PM:

I have averaged as low as 4$ and as high as 37$....its going to take more than 8$ coon to shock me.

The guys that trap around here must have an inside track...I havent seen a trap yet this year.

Posted by jodaviess1 on 11-02-2008 04:46 PM:

HIGH PRICES

PRICES MAY BE LOWER THAN ANTICIPATED, BUT THE BUYERS ARE ALSO BEIN CAUTIOUS AND NOT BUYING THE EARLY JUNK. THERE IS NOT A TRULY PRIME HIDE OUT THERE YET. YOU WILL SEE A DESCENT DOLLAR PAID ON PRIME FUR. 40 OR 50 DOLLAR TOPS, PROBABLLY NOT. AVERAGED $18.00 WITH A 30 DOLLAR TOP PRICE LAST YEAR. I'M BETTING IT WILL BE RIGHT THERE THIS YEAR ALSO. 50 DOLLARS OR 50 CENTS, COON GREASE IS PART OF THE FALL EVENT IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD. <v>

Posted by MillsEnglish on 11-02-2008 05:08 PM:

Most we have been able to get around these parts in ky for years has been 2-3$ i dont even mess with it. Just enjoy the sport. I hunt alone also so running around with a coon, gun, light, and leading dogs is too much work for a couple of $

Posted by roverdog on 11-02-2008 05:45 PM:

Jay Dangers sounds like to me you did not have much quality prime fur or you may want to go to another fur buyer ! 18.00$ would be about right from your local fur buyer I have found you will loose right around 50% with most local buyers & the ones you got a dollar for sounds like to me they should have been left in the woods ! Now if you are going to get top dollar for your hides you will have to flesh & stretch & dry & send to the fur auction. You will not get the prices quoted by Trappin Girl selling to your local buyer !

You Treeers need to lay off us Coon Hunters & Trappers it is season & there is NOTHING WRONG with taking fur & making a few bucks !

Some of you guys like picking on kids you ought to be ashame of yourself !!!

Posted by warn on 11-02-2008 05:53 PM:

for the last several years my buddy has fleshed and strecthed my hides for me and i have sent them to canada to the auction.

Have recieved decent money doing it that way.

The buyers at the auction actually buy in relation to size of hide not so much prime or not. I mixed my blue coon in with my later season hides and it made no difference they paid me as much for my blue jumbos as they did my prime 1's . At least that has been my experience.

Mark Warner

"HOME OF PREDAWN KENNELS"

http://www.tekonshathunder.homestead.com

Posted by CooperCreek on 11-02-2008 08:39 PM:

I never said anything bad about hide hunters or trappers. I will take my fair share of coons every season no matter what the price is. But you aren't gonna see me on here complaining about prices. I'd just as soon they stay on the low side. I can still make a little money for gas or dog food, but the happiness I get doesn't have anything to do with the dollar. If that were the case, I would have quit a long time ago.

Posted by Dan McDonough on 11-02-2008 09:06 PM:

10-4!

I was just over at the buyer near me and I looked through a number of skins that he ahd there and the great majority of them were from blue to slightly blue. You can't expect top dollar for anything other than fully prime skins with exceptional color. Any yellowish tint to the fur and that is a deduction...size, coverage, even thickness, feel... if it's not all there, you can't expect top dollar. It's just like people, there are not very many relly good looking ones. The average is what counts. If the coon are not that great in your area, you can take a little vacation and go to where they are better and hunt all night for 3-4 days and you'll do your dogs and yourself a lot of good.
The only way your going to make any decent money in todays market is to have a world class cat dog and live in the best cat country in the nation. There, you might be able to make some good Christmas money.

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers

Posted by fatboy77 on 11-02-2008 09:08 PM:

i wonder how many so called die hard trappers there are when the forcast for hides is low
just like joe blow that went out and bought that hide dog cause the hides were big bucks and he goes out and shots everything his dog doent tree along with the ones it does
do you think joe blow would be doing this if the hides where worth a buck(I DONT THINK SO)In my area i have seen people that have never trapped a day in there life out there setting traps

this is where my problem is the people i just wrote about are the ones that ruin it for the guys that love to trap and the houndsman buy tresspassing and setting illegal traps

after having a dog get caught in a trap in a place i was told was safe for my hounds to hunt so this treer will continue to speek his mind even if it upsets those so called die hard people that i referenced to above

NCh PR KRAUSES NORTHWOOD timber diva
2nd place nitech heartland classic friday nite 500+

Tim & Laura Krause

Posted by josh on 11-02-2008 09:21 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by jodaviess1
PRICES MAY BE LOWER THAN ANTICIPATED, BUT THE BUYERS ARE ALSO BEIN CAUTIOUS AND NOT BUYING THE EARLY JUNK. THERE IS NOT A TRULY PRIME HIDE OUT THERE YET. YOU WILL SEE A DESCENT DOLLAR PAID ON PRIME FUR. 40 OR 50 DOLLAR TOPS, PROBABLLY NOT. AVERAGED $18.00 WITH A 30 DOLLAR TOP PRICE LAST YEAR. I'M BETTING IT WILL BE RIGHT THERE THIS YEAR ALSO. 50 DOLLARS OR 50 CENTS, COON GREASE IS PART OF THE FALL EVENT IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD. <v>

I agree, Obviously there are differing feelings depending on what part of the country you hunt, but the majority in the upper Midwest feel this way.

quote:
Originally posted by warn
for the last several years my buddy has fleshed and strecthed my hides for me and i have sent them to canada to the auction.

Have recieved decent money doing it that way.

The buyers at the auction actually buy in relation to size of hide not so much prime or not. I mixed my blue coon in with my later season hides and it made no difference they paid me as much for my blue jumbos as they did my prime 1's . At least that has been my experience.

I have found the same to be true, size is what seems to matter most, Almost every year they ask what I did with my small ones?....I try not to shoot small coon, it just isnt worth it for 1-2$.

I have to hand it to you guys that flesh and dry your coon, If you have never done it you cant appreciate how much work it is.

Posted by amazeagle on 11-02-2008 09:30 PM:

Were we all born yesterday? I've heard this song and dance for the last 25 years. It was 1982 when I was able to get $40 across the board for Wisconsin coon. I lived there for 10 yrs and sold to Groenwaold at the time. Those days will not be back again. Too many tree huggers for that. You might get $40 for a prime hide at the auction block. Your best bet on making money in this sport is to raise and sell good started pups. Key word being "good".

Posted by 1deadeye on 11-02-2008 09:40 PM:

Just skinned the three from last night. They're about 3 weeks from being fully prime here in southern,Wiscoonsin. Right on time. They usually are prime right at deer opening when we can't hunt for 10 days. So just glad to make a buck or two.
Scott

This is what Groenwold has posted..

ATTENTION!

FUR MARKET NEWS...

Last Updated 10/28/08

Worldwide economic conditions have stalled the fur market. Our prices will be determined ONLY at the time of purchase.
For our fur buyer in your area,
Please note:
This is our take on the current markets.
This is for your information only and is not intended to be a guarantee.
Markets can change at any time.

Posted by josh tetting on 11-02-2008 09:49 PM:

ohh well

i kinda hope the prices stay low it will keep the jack lighters
around here out of the corn fields for awhile......

CH, FCH,GRNTCH Ice Ages' Front Seat Fanny 2011 world finalist at 2 years old
Temp home of Grch, Fch, GrNtch Wades Red Busko

Posted by Jay Dangers on 11-02-2008 09:52 PM:

Scott we did not sell any, brought them back home.

For the record.........I did not run out and buy hounds because the hides were goin to be high, I have been messin with hounds for the last 10 years or so. I dont care how much the hides are going to be worth, I just thought it was very funny that they were so low.

I'm glad they are low, I hope the word gets out real fast so every tom, dick and harry gets there tresspassing shining and illegal trap setting ass out of the woods!

Do I like a little money for my hides?.........I sure do, it helps off set the cost of dog food. I pay $35.00 for 37.5 pounds of feed.