UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 71 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- vicks vapor rub on females in heat (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=338905)

Posted by bluetickcooner on 03-03-2010 07:26 PM:

vicks vapor rub on females in heat

i heard that vicks will cover the smell of a dog in heat? what is your opinions on this? if you were in a hunt and u applied it before the hunt and a male dog goes and smells the female and gets vicks on its nose would it hurt his smelling ability?

Posted by coonsmen on 03-03-2010 07:34 PM:

I was just told this while hunting with a friend Monday night. Never tried t but he said it works well. I'd think it would burn the female though. I def wouldNt go trying it in a nite hunt. I'd be pi$$Ed i casted out with a female comming in heat regardless Vicks or not

Posted by william endress on 03-03-2010 07:51 PM:

yes it does

This is an old nite hunt trick. I have seen it done and seems to effect the other dogs that smell it. My male wouldn't open on track and kind of half hearted treeing. A few nites later I found out the female had a coat of vicks applied to her. But my male was fine the next time out. live and learn i guess.

Posted by Bullet on 03-03-2010 08:04 PM:

I drew out with a guy in the Zone semi-finals one year that covered up scent on a female in heat. He didn't say anything until after the hunt was over then showed us all of the crap he had put on his female. He said she was qualified and he wanted to hunt her bad. I understand that but I also understand the rules. The rule reads that if a female is found to be in season she is scratched. I know you will get the argument that she has to be smelling strong enough to affect other dogs but doesn't the strong smelling Vick's affect them too? I believe if someone is found to be circumventing the rules on purpose like that they should be barred. That is my opinion. I hope I have not offended anyone but that is just my humble opinion.

No Jesus.....No Peace

Posted by capt_agricultur on 03-03-2010 08:33 PM:

/////

Diesel fuel

Posted by Lone Pine JB on 03-03-2010 08:35 PM:

rub that stuff on your own nether regions first.

Lone Pine North

Posted by Blue Ice on 03-03-2010 08:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet
I drew out with a guy in the Zone semi-finals one year that covered up scent on a female in heat. He didn't say anything until after the hunt was over then showed us all of the crap he had put on his female. He said she was qualified and he wanted to hunt her bad. I understand that but I also understand the rules. The rule reads that if a female is found to be in season she is scratched. I know you will get the argument that she has to be smelling strong enough to affect other dogs but doesn't the strong smelling Vick's affect them too? I believe if someone is found to be circumventing the rules on purpose like that they should be barred. That is my opinion. I hope I have not offended anyone but that is just my humble opinion.

I Agree

Home of 'GRNTCH 'GRCH PR' Aaron's Hidden Meadows Blue Max (Bluetick)
Gone But Not Forgotten 6/25/15

NiteCh Dalton's Fathead Coonsmoker Ace (English) Gone but not Forgotten

CH'NiteCh'PR' LoneTree Subzero (Walker) Gone but Not Forgotton 5/25/14

Posted by MATTY G on 03-03-2010 08:58 PM:

Jesse, I've used Vicks on my females when in season while pleasure hunting with buddies.. It seems to work pretty good but I would not use it in a nite hunt,,I wouldn't take the chance to screw up the cast its not fair to the other guys in the hunt...

Posted by Stone3 on 03-03-2010 09:13 PM:

Re: /////

quote:
Originally posted by capt agricultur
Diesel fuel

i just believe that will affect a male dog if he gets that in his nose to!!!

Zach Smith
Cell:910 220 6775
Home:910 439 5262

Posted by on 03-03-2010 09:17 PM:

I used it twice at hunts. Both times I was away on the road when she came in. I used Vicks and it worked well both times. It's really very simple, if it doesn't work your bitch is scratched.

Posted by bluetickcooner on 03-03-2010 10:37 PM:

its not a ukc licensed nite hunt its more of a buddy hunt thing at a local club i was just wondering for future reference. but thanks for all the input

Posted by AndyMiller on 03-03-2010 11:06 PM:

///

take perfume thats got a strong smell it works use a can that u can spray best thing is not 2 hunt them when thr in heat

Posted by Autumn Clements on 03-03-2010 11:15 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet

but it isn't against the rules, if they aren't attracting the other dogs then it makes no odds
quote:

Allen / UKC wrote on 06-10-2008 12:48 PM:
quote:

Autumn Clements wrote on 06-01-2008 01:10 PM:
Allen
After reading the topic on the msg board and everones opions on the ruling i'm curious to what UKCs ruling is for sure
Dogs will be scratched
Rule 6h. Bitches smelling strong enough to attract dogs or a dog that is just bad to bother bitches while other dogs pay them no attention.
People seem to interut it one of two ways ... the males have to be bothering the female before she can be scratched or a female in heat is scratched wether males bother her or not.

Autumn, That's pretty much it. A male must be affected by it before a female can be scratched for being in heat. Don't think there's really a need for anything beyond that as most owners would not even consider taking the chance of hunting a female in season when there's a chance they could get bred in the process.
Allen

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Posted by jculler8 on 03-03-2010 11:18 PM:

I've used it in NITE HUNTS and have NEVER seen it effect ANY OTHER DOGS IN THE CAST FROM TREEING REAL LIVE RACCOONS!

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by mnplottman on 03-03-2010 11:23 PM:

Ive had dogs get into a skunk and go tree a coon after and if that dont mess up thier smell vicks souldnt. Ive been in a hunt with a guy that used it and my male never bothered her at all.

Posted by bluetickcooner on 03-03-2010 11:37 PM:

my dog is just coming into heat. last year she started bleeding on the 19th of march. last night i went hunting with her and 2 other male dogs and they were just checking her out. we treed 2 dens and a coon. i dont think they were bothering her too much other than just checkin her out. she isnt swollen or anything either.

Posted by triker on 03-03-2010 11:55 PM:

rub some on your self and see how it feels.is the hunt really worth it.give me a break leave the dog home.

GRCH GRNTCH CARGILLS JEWELL

Posted by Buckshot on 03-04-2010 12:00 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by triker
rub some on your self and see how it feels.is the hunt really worth it.give me a break leave the dog home.

I guess a plastic trophy to some is worth gambling a OOPS litter for.

Posted by coonsmen on 03-04-2010 12:12 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
I guess a plastic trophy to some is worth gambling a OOPS litter for.

lol agreed. there is always next weekend.

Posted by Sandi on 03-04-2010 01:19 AM:

LOL my dad used to use this technique... DO NOT BE FOOLED!!! His new addage is "all it did was grease it up for him" !!! If you own females this is the down fall an you truely are taking a gamble... OH and it was a house dog that she tied up with loose on the farm

Heart.throbcoonhounds@gmail.com

Posted by Rob Smith on 03-04-2010 02:15 AM:

I used to use it at times it doesnt burn your female but it does mess up every male that sniffs her for 15 min. or so but it will also mess with your dog if you have to box her and move

Posted by David Boggs on 03-04-2010 02:58 AM:

why

would you chance it if you had a GOOD BITCH knowing it could get bread to a no good dog when they are in heat eather breed it to the dog of your choise OR LEAVE IT AT HOME,david,,ps thats just how i fell about it is all.

Posted by jculler8 on 03-04-2010 05:34 AM:

Re: why

quote:
Originally posted by David Boggs
would you chance it if you had a GOOD BITCH knowing it could get bread to a no good dog when they are in heat eather breed it to the dog of your choise OR LEAVE IT AT HOME,david,,ps thats just how i fell about it is all.

See my female comes in different times. It's not like clockwork around here. Sometimes it's 5 months, others it's 6, heck it was 7 months between cycles. Dogs might be checking her for a month before she actually comes in. I don't want dogs foolin with her, so I put it on. I know Vicks will not hurt a dogs nose, and if it hurt any it would be the dog running around with it on all night!

If my bitch is bleeding, she's stayin at home! I really do not see how there is anything wrong with using it before a bitch actually comes in just to eliminate any kind of sniffing, etc.?

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by late round lady on 03-04-2010 12:32 PM:

I will try that on my hubby see if it keeps him away lolo

Posted by david r on 03-04-2010 01:41 PM:

Vicks Vapor

quote:
Originally posted by late round lady
I will try that on my hubby see if it keeps him away lolo

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I might too!
Mary Reynolds

Team Trouble