UKC Forums
Show all 19 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Why not train to come in when toned (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928422991)

Posted by Jmiller85 on 07-06-2015 09:17 PM:

Why not train to come in when toned

Just wondering why some hunters r saying they won't train their dog to come in when toned. I don't now but use to have a hound that when I hit the tone she came running she always listen good and was a good coon dog. Just wondering if hunters were for it or against it and why.

Posted by SwampCreekHound on 07-06-2015 09:57 PM:

For me after they are trained to come when toned that's all the training system can be used for. Such as if u bump a dog for running deer after teaching it to come when toned, in my experience the dog takes the bump as come to the truck not as stop running trash. I ruined a nice pup this way. Started off as a get gone type of pup the end result was a pup (18 months old) that would not leave the truck with a tracking collar on.

Posted by POTOMAC on 07-06-2015 10:16 PM:

I use the tone as a better get your tail to me asap!!! Myself but a lot use it as a flushing tool to let there dogs know that if they keep doing what they are doing being wallowing a track are running junk are whatever this there warning to quite are there not gonna like what's coming next !! To each his own and I see there point but in my case when I have been to a lot of hunts that just don't have the woods to hold a big hunter and if a guide are judge tells me that hey there getting close to this or that all I needed to do was turn mine alpha on and mine were safe !!cause they were gonna be hunting me then !! I also whistle break mine at the same time !! But I think that's the reason a lot do not want them coming back on a tone signal!!

Posted by DFred on 07-06-2015 10:58 PM:

Mine is trained to COME at the tone. I also use a voice command at the same time if he's within hearing distance of me. If the collar quits I still have voice. If the dog is smart and the trainer is too the dog will know the difference between tone and shock If you'd rather use a whistle than tone it's up to you. The tone is a whistle the dog wears that you control.

Posted by Jrkb2012 on 07-06-2015 10:59 PM:

I tone mine to come in,,wouldn't have it any other way,,some say once you use tone for coming in,that's all you can use the tone for,,I say they are dead wrong,,I also use it for when they are doing something they ain't supposed to be doing,,when I want them to come in,I just tone for 1 second,and they come immediately and if they do something I don't want them doing,,I tone them for 5 or more seconds and they stop doing it,,and it doesn't bring them in,,they know the difference between the short and long tones,,takes some training but well worth it

Posted by dchartt on 07-07-2015 12:05 AM:

when i hit the tone my coondog changes to a birddog and starts pointing grouse then if i hit it twice back to coon

nah i have one now that is trained to come to me when toned the other is like above, depending on how he gets toned is what hell do, and there is always the case of flat out screw you and your tone im doing what i want

and to be completely honest with you i didnt try to train the other one like that if i hit it once itll getem moving or quit runnin a road and if i kept hittin it hell just come to me naturally

Posted by DFred on 07-07-2015 12:10 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jrkb2012
I tone mine to come in,,wouldn't have it any other way,,some say once you use tone for coming in,that's all you can use the tone for,,I say they are dead wrong,,I also use it for when they are doing something they ain't supposed to be doing,,when I want them to come in,I just tone for 1 second,and they come immediately and if they do something I don't want them doing,,I tone them for 5 or more seconds and they stop doing it,,and it doesn't bring them in,,they know the difference between the short and long tones,,takes some training but well worth it

That's smarter than me or my dog. Lol

Posted by Duckassassin on 07-07-2015 12:25 AM:

My buddy has a dog when you honk the horn on the truck he'll come in. He dont have a shock/tone collar. Just uses a stick and a the horn on the truck

Posted by Tim MACHA on 07-07-2015 04:23 AM:

I used the tone to train my dog not to hunt in a straight line

I started out nipping him when he would get out to about 500yd. Then started watching the Garmin and when he would get to about that range, i would tone him. Before I knew it, he was ranging in an arc around me.

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Posted by ole hoss on 07-07-2015 06:42 AM:

I use my tone button for training not recall when I want one to come I'll hollor at him. When I tone I want him to get gone. This keeps from haveing to shock so much which will short a lot of dogs out.

Posted by Ky Show Girl on 07-09-2015 12:22 AM:

I have never been 1 to stand in the middle road yelling and blowing the horn for a dog.i might get ask to leave.he couldn't here me to far in these hills any way.i like the tone.

Posted by hillbilly56 on 07-09-2015 01:39 AM:

had all my beagles tone broke i never tone a dog on trash i just zap em and not say a word

Posted by hillbilly56 on 07-09-2015 01:39 AM:

had all my beagles tone broke i never tone a dog on trash i just zap em and not say a word

Posted by David Morgan on 07-09-2015 01:50 PM:

My dogs generally hunt big and the tone (to come in) allows me to hunt around this water and get them back. If I have to bump one with shock it will normally stop what i'ts doing and keep hunting. It's the way to go for me.

Posted by Matthew Bell on 07-09-2015 02:36 PM:

msinc typed up a good post not too long ago which changed my mind on the subject.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 07-09-2015 03:06 PM:

It doesn't happen often, but having a dog tree in a farmer's barn in the middle of the night can be an ordeal.

With the tone for recall, it is no longer an issue.

It never ceases to amaze me of all the information that is available on the correct use of e-collars that so many still use them incorrectly.

Hmmm I have never seen a lab guy complaining that an e-collar ruined his dog.

Aim small miss small

Posted by amazingcursouth on 07-09-2015 05:58 PM:

dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. using tone to come is a great tool. My dogs know the difference between a tone and a shock. If you shock your dogs in while training then yes they will most likely come in to a shock. If tone is used for training to come in then the dog will certainly know the difference between shock and tone. shocking is for trash breaking. Learning to come is done in the back yard. the more work you do with young dogs at home will mean more pleasure in the woods.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Posted by msinc on 07-09-2015 11:18 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Bell
msinc typed up a good post not too long ago which changed my mind on the subject.

Thank you sir, very kind of you to say so. To each his own, but to me buying an $800.00 piece of the most advanced training gear we have seen yet and then using it to recall a dog is right up there with buying a Lear Jet, parking outside your business and then using it for a break room or someplace to eat your lunch!!!!

Posted by shadinc on 07-10-2015 01:17 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Thank you sir, very kind of you to say so. To each his own, but to me buying an $800.00 piece of the most advanced training gear we have seen yet and then using it to recall a dog is right up there with buying a Lear Jet, parking outside your business and then using it for a break room or someplace to eat your lunch!!!!
I can think of nothing more important than getting my dog back when I want him if he's too far to hear my voice or a whistle.