UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 66 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- John Wick Talks Back (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=15471)

Posted by John Wick on 02-23-2004 08:57 PM:

John Wick Talks Back

Hi folks. My big, clumsy, arthritic fingers were not made for typing so this message is not coming through my fingers. It is, however, coming from my mouth into a tape recorder. Lisa, that does my secretarial work a couple of days a week, is typing this and sending it on for your use if you care to read it. Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, too busy, or not sufficiently interested, but I don’t know much about using computers (not even how to turn one off or on). I understand and agree that they’re wonderful gizmos. Maybe someday I’ll catch up to you folks, but at this point my knowledge of computers, internet, web sites, chatrooms, and all that stuff is very limited.

However, almost daily a wide variety of folks contact me who feel that I need to know what’s being said about me. For the past couple of years, these reports have been coming more and more frequently along with increasingly stronger requests or even demands for me to defend or clarify myself. My reply to these well-meaning folks is that it’s my experience that 10 percent of people are simply very negative thinkers and the only fun they get out of life comes from ridiculing, backstabbing, or lying about anyone and everyone that is actually trying to do positive things. Accomplishment and criticism come in the same package.

The few people who really know me realize that I strongly believe in the right of free speech and freedom in general, and I’m by nature kind of a mellow and non-confrontational type of guy. I also strongly believe that people writing or talking should stick to the truth and should load the brain before shooting the mouth. I’d have to admit that when those things aren’t done I do get a little riled up. Even a teddy bear that’s poked, prodded, or kicked enough can occasionally turn into a grizzly.

Recently a few printouts coming from various computer sources were brought to my attention. Much of what is there is good and positive and meant to be helpful. And then there’s some that just make me wonder and worry about them. The venom in their words and the viciousness in their hearts make it plain that they have some unresolved issues that only a fellar like Dr. Phil would have any chance of understanding and then straightening out. No matter what group of humans you want to talk about there are about 10 percent of them that just can’t have a good day unless they’re trying to build themselves up by tearing someone else down. Heck, that’s just the way it is. Always was. Always will be.

I have recently come to the conclusion that some of the incorrect info that they or some nice and well-meaning folks may be mistakenly dishing out should be challenged or corrected. Many of my friends have finally convinced me that when a lot of mud and other stuff are slung against the wall, some of it is going to stick. Nice folks who are trying to learn may get misled from slightly to severely. So, with some reluctance, I’ve decided that for the foreseeable future once or twice a month I’ll talk into this tape recorder when I have a comment to make about me or any other subject that’s being incorrectly portrayed.

Although feeling doubtful that UKC would condone or allow me to do that, I did what anyone ought to do when they want to find out something. I called the moderator and asked. He immediately assured me he would not only allow it, but would encourage and welcome it. He made it very apparent that they also want to deal in truth and facts. They’re not happy when the negativity level drops below a sensible or decent level.

I want it to be crystal clear that I am all about helping this sport and nice folks everywhere. In general, I feel as though we are a big family, and we should be striving to pull together and find common ground and ways to be upbeat, positive, and helpful. We hear enough thrashing and trashing and vicious negativity from our politicians. For most of us our dogs and our sport are a way to try to escape that type of thinking, acting, and talking. So, my goal will be to inform, provide food for thought, encourage, compliment, unite, and help. And yes, once in a while challenge, clarify, correct, or explain. It WILL NOT be a question and answer forum or a dialog with pen pals. It will be nothing more or less than once or twice a month posting a few thoughts from Uncle John in response to various things I’ve seen, heard, or read.

Your thoughts, agreements, criticisms, suggestions, and comments are invited and welcomed. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT EVERYBODY! I’ll talk to you again in a week or two.

Posted by Rob Ellett on 02-23-2004 09:15 PM:

Mr. Wick, Welcome aboard!!

Your post is a very timely one that should be followed by a portion of this board, lets say the 10%! Hopefully with your respectabilty in the coonhound world this message will be heard.
Many posts came to my mind when reading your post one in particluar is Blue Storm Rising, this was a post made not only in fun with a freind but to share with the Bluetick crowd and the coon hunting world in general that a young man with determination and the resources was going to try his best with the best hound that he can of the breed of his choice and give the Purnia Race a shot.
Many(the 10%) took this oppurtunity to take their cheap shots and make remarks that would only anger and hurt this young mans feelings.
Words of incouragement from freinds were as quick to come as well. Stone casting should never be done as none stand innocent! Myself included.
In closing I for one look forward to your words in the coming months and hopefuly years to come.

Posted by nynitehunter on 02-23-2004 09:22 PM:

well john

id be the first to admit you dont know it all but , you surely do strive to understand as much as you can and pass your learnings onto others in a straight forward and sensible way from the few times ive been around you over the last twenty years or so i dont recollect you ever being the type to beat around the bush or belittle another what you say you say with conviction
never seen you be anything less then a sportsman and a gentleman only thing im sorry about is that i never got to hunt with ya i think it would be fun and educational thanks for the useful books i got the first one when i was just a kid (hmmmmmm you are getting old eh) take care john and best of wishes with yer endeavers - tim stratton

Posted by Tim Knox on 02-23-2004 10:20 PM:

Welcome

Mr. Wick,I have never met or even talked on the phone with you, I have" heard" good and bad about you, and there will always be two sides to every story. I have been buying hunting supplies from WOW for several years now and have always been very satisfied on that end, but would very much like to meet and maybe get a chance to hunt with you. I can then judge you for what I see in the man, John Wick. I have always respected you as a coon-hunter, and your knowledge of the coon-hound,and your dedication to our fine sport and past-time, which is my #1 hobbie. I know you have had alot of trial and error in raising and training of your hounds because we all have, it has not been easy for any of us. It is how we learn from our mistakes, that we can better our hounds. Keep your head up,there are plenty of coon-hunters that admire and respect you very much.Would you be up for a hunt maybe in March or April? I would love to make the drive out there and turn some hounds loose with you. Thank You. 574-699-6125

Posted by Redtick on 02-23-2004 10:41 PM:

I hope I didn't offend you on a post I made about a comment you made on the Tommorrow's Legends DVD I watched recently. Heck, my hair is turning white, I am a little (actually alot) overweight, and my knees are about gone. LOL. I liked your interview on the video, you even mentioned a redtick you used to own. You judged my Mt Cur, Lucy, on the bench at a PKC Show at Walker Days at Du Quion, Illinois a few years back. I am sure you probably don't remember, but I would bet she was the first Cur you ever judged on the bench. Have you ever thought about doing a video to go with your books? I will bet it would sell.

Posted by Blake Mangus on 02-23-2004 10:41 PM:

Mr. Wick your book is great helped with alot of questions straitened a few problems out welcome aboard.

Posted by Matt Brabender on 02-23-2004 11:04 PM:

John, look forward to reading what you have to say. About time we get some more people on here with some positive points of view. Matt.

Posted by RETIRED ROOFER on 02-23-2004 11:29 PM:

JOHN, SENCE I RETIRED FROM ROOFING. IHAVE SOMETIME TO HUNT. I BEEN HUNTING ALOT WITH MY WICK FROGLEGS,USING MY WICK LIGHT,WITH MY WICK DOUBLE SNAP LEASH. CARRY MY SPARE BULB IN MY WICK SPARE BULB POUCH. BEEN HAVING A WICK OF A TIME WITH THIS NEW BLUEDOG. I LIKE HIM.

YOUR FREIND, RETIRED ROOFER

Posted by walkerdawg on 02-24-2004 12:27 AM:

Welcome aboard Mr. Wick

Ring-tail Kennels

It takes as much to feed a good hound as a sorry one!!!!

Posted by bond007 on 02-24-2004 02:07 AM:

WE HERE WELCOME TRUTH. RESPECT TRUTH. AND LOOK FOR TRUTH IN ALL. JESUS TOLD A CROWD OF MOBSTERS YOU WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE. I LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE AND WONT BE THROWING ANY IN FEAR MY OWN HOUSE SHALL FALL. JESUS SHOWED HIS TEMPER ONCE WITH THE MONEY CHANGERS AND CALL THEM A DEN OF THIEFS. HE ALSO GAVE AN EXAMPLE TO LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF. I HAVE FOUND THIS TO BE VERY HARD AT TIMES. BUT THE WORD SAYS TO SHOW LOVE IS LIKE HEAPING COALS ON THE HEADS OF THOSE WHO SPITEFULLY USE YOU. I HAVE COME TO A POINT IN MY LIFE THAT I KNOW NOT ALL WILL LIKE ME FOR WHO I AM. I HAVE A VERY LARGE BUSSINESS THAT I OWN AND OPPERATE. I HAVE FOUND MANY WILL DO BUSSINESS WITH ME BUT SOME WILL NOT UNLESS THEY CAN CHEAT YOU IN SOME WAY. ITS NOT HARD TO SEE THROUGH THEM. SOME LIVE FOR THE WORLD AND WHAT IT HAS TO OFER AND OTHERS LIKE MYSELF LOOK FOR THINGS FAR GREATER. THIS MAN IS LOOKING FOR REVALATIONS 4:1...... IN GOD I TRUST..... TO THOSE WHO SAY GOD BLESS AMERICA....HA....HE HAS.... ITS TIME TO GIVE HIM PRAISE

Posted by elvis on 02-24-2004 02:49 AM:

Re: John Wick Talks Back

quote:
Originally posted by John Wick
So, my goal will be to inform, provide food for thought, encourage, compliment, unite, and help. And yes, once in a while challenge, clarify, correct, or explain.

Your thoughts, agreements, criticisms, suggestions, and comments are invited and welcomed. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT EVERYBODY! I’ll talk to you again in a week or two.

welcome aboard mr wick
i am in no way suggesting that you dont know more about coondogs and coonhunting than the rest of us combined.
i am suggesting that maybe you would be better accepted in some circles if you pretended you didnt.

anyone have dr.phils number?lol

marv schmucker
milford indiana

Posted by Richard Nethery on 02-24-2004 03:02 AM:

Mr Wick

I have read your Book, and it has helped me in many ways.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, and am thankfull
for your help.

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Posted by John D on 02-24-2004 04:43 PM:

Re: Mr Wick

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Nethery
I have read your Book, and it has helped me in many ways.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, and am thankfull
for your help.

I'll ditto what Richard said. Your book helped me get in and stay in this sport 15-20 years ago and I've always found that anything you wrote rang true and was written in a way that could hold even my attention.

You do need to learn how to type so you can keep up with "the pack", though.

Posted by Hump on 02-24-2004 04:56 PM:

I don't believe that you have any need to defend yourself against those that may say untrue things about you. The remaining 90% of us are intelligent enough to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

All that to say...I agree with elvis.

Posted by Ricochet17 on 02-24-2004 05:00 PM:

I have heard that you are one "hunting" SOB, and if someone where to go hunting with you, they better be prepared to hunt all night!

Posted by blueticker on 02-24-2004 05:31 PM:

Negative Tones

The best way to get negative comments from the 10% is to be successful. Example - If you have a good hound that is overpowering it won't be long until the dog is ill, babbles, won't stay treed, can't reproduce, growls while eating, can't kill a coon, you get the idea. I have never read many of John Wicks articles, advice, or books. However, he is well known and has experienced success. This I would predict both financially and hunting.

If a man is wealthy, has the best blue dog that has ever treed a coon, and has a great wife. He may be considered successful by some. I certainly would add the most important and would pray that he is a Christian. That is the only way I know of doing away with that 10%.

Posted by WILLIAM FELTNER on 02-24-2004 06:51 PM:

WICK

It's not are job to judge. Thats the "lords". But we to exam the fruits that thay bear. Thanks Mr. Wick for all that you have done and doing for are sport and our way of life.
Wise thoughts-make wise choices in life?
Thanks, Bill Feltner

Posted by Larry Atherton on 02-24-2004 07:22 PM:

Welcome Mr. Wick. The computer age isn't that bad. If you get a chance sit down next to your secretary, I bet you would pick up the fundamentals in no time. Trust me you can't type any worse than I do. They even ask me not to type at work.LOL

Personally, I welcome the wealth of information you have to offer. While some unknowning individuals may type faster than their brain, I truly don't believe you need to protect your honor. Afterall, honor is as honor does. You have nothing to prove that you haven't already proven through your years of dedication to our sport.

I hope your journey into the cyber world proves to be an enjoyable one.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Stretcher on 02-24-2004 07:46 PM:

Mr. Wick-

A year ago when I got into coonhunting all I knew about you is that you wrote your name on a lot of jackets that got stolen by a lot coonhunters. Now, I have a good idea and welcome your comments as well as your presence. I would love to know where I can get your books and read some of you wisdom. I don't know how much you know....but I know it is more than me, so I am all ears.

Jamie Young

Posted by Bruce Conkey on 02-24-2004 08:51 PM:

When I first read this post I had a concern that perhaps what was written did not come from John Wick. I had a conversation today with Mr. Wick and he assured me it was his writing and he asked that I relay that message. He said he looked forward to coming on the board from time to time and discussing issues with the group.

"Coon Eyes Matter"
Boss Lights
San Mateo, Fl

Posted by JUMPER on 02-24-2004 09:52 PM:

Mr. Wick I'll check this board more now waiting on replies. Hey Redtick If I was you I'd Get on some Wick Video's Just let me know where to send my money. Thanks Jacob Jump

Posted by on 02-24-2004 10:13 PM:

Bruce, when I first read it I thought maybe the Clown Posse was back but then I figgered they couldn't type that much . Always enjoyed his stuff in Cooner, this should be even more interesting.

Posted by josh on 02-24-2004 11:06 PM:

I was starting to think I was the only one that thought this was a joke....lol....Thanks for clearing it up Bruce.
John's collum was usually the first thing I read in the Cooner.....
I let my subscription of the cooner run out, now I hear John wont be writing anymore, I dont see much reason to renew.

This should be interesting....

Posted by plumbg on 02-25-2004 08:03 PM:

WELCOME JOHN !

YOU BROKE A DEER RUNNER FOR ME 30+ YEARS AGO AND HAVE NEVER BEEN ANYTHING BUT A STRAIGHT UP AND HONEST INDIVIDUAL . I AM SAYING YOU KNOW MUCH MORE ABOUT BREAKING AND TRAINING OF HOUNDS THAN ME WITH 47 YEARS OF HUNTING EXPERIENCE SO I FOR ONE WILL WELCOME ANY COMMENTS YOU CAN BRING TO THIS COLUMN. GOOD HEARING FROM YOU . TELL LINDA AND THE GANG AT W.O.W. HELLO GARY PLUMB

Posted by GRAVEDIGGER on 02-25-2004 10:50 PM:

Welcome

I hope that you will join in on the fun! This is the wave of the future for public opinions and the shaping of such. Many have opinions on here that become offensive, insulting, and can make you want to take anger mangement classes! That's the bright side . There also are the informative posts as to what is happening and newbies who need help on the basic training, breeding, and hunting questions. I, myself prefer the confrontational posts. Not the bashing, but of the different opinions from people who have experience dealing with the issue that is being hashed. This is where what I want to know, the hidden knowledge, is exposed and begins to be sorted through by all others. You and everyone else on here who's been hunting for a while should already know most of this stuff. The critics are many and the friends are few in the life of the public! I just hope that you won't be seen as an elitist on this board. Be it for good, or for bad. Some are jealous, some envious, and others just very disguntled and angry that they are not in the limelight. Others will want to carry the "gun" for you. I will say I don't agree with you or anyone 100% because I have my ways to do things and I have fun doing it that way. Other than that welcome and thanks for the promotion you have done for coonhunting!

2005 Plott Days Champion, 2 time Isiaiah Kidd Award Winner
GrNtCh Millenium Magic Doc's Heyzuess
2013 Ntl GrNtCh Plott Breed Winner