UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Curs and Feists (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- Need to know about treering curs (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928519428)

Posted by Hillbilly boy on 06-18-2019 10:43 PM:

Need to know about treering curs

Like the post said I am trying to learn anything I can about them. From what I understand they are mostly a cross between cur and one of the hound breeds with leaoperd black mouth and mountain cur over plot Walker and black and tan being the most common. It seems like it gives the curs speed and brain's with the hounds range and tracking ability. What can you guys teach a green horn about them

Posted by Clanc on 06-20-2019 05:20 PM:

I prefer to hunt treeing curs. Biggest thing that i like about them over a full blooded mountain cur is, they don’t seem to be as quirky. If you make the right cur x hound cross you can get the speed and brains of a cur and the drive and tree power of the hound. That is the main reason i hunt them, but i am no reason an expert.

Posted by Hillbilly boy on 06-20-2019 09:21 PM:

That is what I have heard. In your experience does it seem like one kind of x works better also does it seem like a male cur over a female hound works better or the other way around. I ask became I have heard of some that were good tree dogs but also had the speed and staying power to be good coyote and fox dogs

Posted by Al Medcalf on 06-20-2019 11:34 PM:

I've got 4 Treeing Curs that Plott X Mt. Cur. I've been well pleased with them. The older ones are from a Plott female (2 different crosses) The younger one is
from a Kemmer stock Cur female.

Posted by Hillbilly boy on 06-21-2019 03:15 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I've got 4 Treeing Curs that Plott X Mt. Cur. I've been well pleased with them. The older ones are from a Plott female (2 different crosses) The younger one is
from a Kemmer stock Cur female.

Does there seem to be much different between the mountain cur and kemmer also are they half cur half hound or more cur or more hound

Posted by earl blevins on 08-03-2019 04:17 AM:

i like walker x cur for coon

Posted by Hillbilly boy on 08-03-2019 06:17 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by earl blevins
i like walker x cur for coon
what kind of cur do they seem to be faster then the pure hound

Posted by earl blevins on 08-03-2019 04:30 PM:

i dont think they are faster than hound just a lot smarter

Posted by tony.beals on 09-20-2019 05:05 AM:

Cur/Plott

Just made a cross looking forward to see how it turns out, crossed my male Mnt Cur with a Plott female.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association