UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Diamond Naturals Extreme Athelete ?? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928467373)

Posted by JPRITCHARD on 11-20-2016 05:21 AM:

Diamond Naturals Extreme Athelete ??

Just looking for some feedback on this feed if anyone out there is using it.
Thanks

Posted by Rip on 11-20-2016 05:33 AM:

Yes, by far the best feed I have ever used. Have to cut it way back or hunt the hair off them or they get fat. Hunt til daylight and still have energy to go back the next night.

Posted by hopm on 11-20-2016 06:28 AM:

one of the better feeds I've used. Little higher priced....smaller package...I went a different direction

Posted by POTOMAC on 11-20-2016 08:36 AM:

All I feed best I haveseen that is readily available in my area !!!!! It's not cheap but it also doesn't take but one say 16 oz up aday to each dog and they look and hunt great ! If I am hunting one hard in hotter temps iwill add one scoop of super fuel with therefor daily and you will see a substantial difference also atleaat up hear but Imature would be same down there when I buy 10 bags at a time tsc gives me 10% off aswellz

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 11-20-2016 01:30 PM:

we fed it for a couple years.

you would be better off with pro plan

Posted by NcTreed on 11-20-2016 02:37 PM:

I fed it for a while and dogs looked great.

Posted by rob thompson on 11-20-2016 02:39 PM:

I would not pick pro plan over dea. I've fed both to the same dogs and can't keep weight with pro plan, end up feeding more and cleaning up more

Posted by Shaun Paton on 11-20-2016 04:10 PM:

Diamond

My son and I feed this to our bear hounds during hard running. Our dogs stay in great shape and have the stamina to go day after day of hard hunting. It's well worth the price to keep your hound from being run down.

Shaun Paton
Chase Creek Kennels

Posted by rob thompson on 11-20-2016 04:19 PM:

I had a buddy that could not keep weight on his dog, it just looked like crap all the time. I had him bring him to me I told him give me $50 and pick him up in two weeks. When he came back he couldn't believe it was his dog. Extreme a thelete and a good worming ant the dog pit on about 15+lbs. In two weeks. That said I feed Victor now with the same results I believe both are great feedsbut I can save a little on vVictor and my dog hunts just as hard and recovers just as fast.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 11-20-2016 10:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
I would not pick pro plan over dea. I've fed both to the same dogs and can't keep weight with pro plan, end up feeding more and cleaning up more

I have had the exact opposite experience.

Way more waste, usually looser with extreme athlete. After 4 months I had one dog just quit eating it. I wouldn't feed it to a lap dog

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 11-20-2016 11:41 PM:

DEA vs Pro Plan

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

Way more waste, usually looser with extreme athlete. After 4 months I had one dog just quit eating it. I wouldn't feed it to a lap dog

Have go agree with you on this Josh,
Pro plan IMO is by far the better food. I have never had any luck with Diamond products. Loose stool, dogs won't eat it and then Diamond would have a recall on one of their products. I recently switched back to Black Gold and won't be feeding that anymore.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Posted by Stanley Lewis on 11-20-2016 11:44 PM:

Been feeding it several years as far as I'm concerned none better. Cost 37.50 including tax for 40 lb. bag.

Posted by Cory Highfill on 11-21-2016 03:07 AM:

Is it just me, or does DEA seem incredibly inconsistent? I fed it for a couple years, and it seemed like every 2-3 bags I'd get one that looked and smelled very different. Most of the dogs would eat it, but when I came across those strange bags the pickier dogs wouldn't touch it. This was independent of where I purchased the bags.
And all the recalls and poisoned dogs finally scared me off.

Posted by wilkes1 on 11-21-2016 05:47 AM:

quote:
That said I feed Victor now with the same results I believe both are great feedsbut I can save a little on vVictor and my dog hunts just as hard and recovers just as fast.

Rob, which victor do you feed? Im giving the victor professional purple bag a try now and am liking it so far. seems to be good stuff

Posted by rob thompson on 11-21-2016 12:43 PM:

I have been feeding the 24/20 in the colder months and the green bag 26/18 in the summer. I feed the purple to the house dogs. I've been really impressed with it especially the waste, there is a lot less.

Posted by rob thompson on 11-21-2016 12:46 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

that's what happened to my dog after being on proplan, I put him back on Victor he gained about 10lbs. Back. Strange how dogs react to different feed.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 11-21-2016 05:14 PM:

quote:
that's what happened to my dog after being on proplan, I put him back on Victor he gained about 10lbs. Back. Strange how dogs react to different feed.

I'm not sure I didn't get a bad bag.

Posted by POTOMAC on 11-21-2016 07:32 PM:

I know for a fact with dea you only feed very little and most think a dog can't survive on that little of food but when there stool is lose on dea they are getting to much cut it back and it will be tight !!

Posted by BLAKE WHEELER on 11-21-2016 07:48 PM:

I fed dea to my female for a while and she did great on it. She just quit eating it one day, I figured she wasn't hungry. That went on a couple days so I put some 4health down and she gobbled it up. I feed victor now but I will say my bulldogs are on 4health salmon and potato and they look good but they are just yard dogs.

Posted by ov_blues on 11-21-2016 08:04 PM:

How much is the Victor feed running compared to the Diamond EA?

Posted by Craig Cooper on 11-22-2016 05:19 PM:

I feed Loyall active adult dog food. It is 26/ 19. My dogs love it. Very little waste. I paid $28.00 for a 40 pd bag. A good friend of mine feeds Showtime dog food in the 24/ 20 formula. He swears by it. He buys it in 50 pd bags. I'm not sure what he pays for it.

Posted by Jeff Prince on 11-22-2016 05:29 PM:

Mine have a burritos and beer diet. They stay just as fat and happy as I do. As long as we don't have too many jalapeņos or cheap beer our stools stay firm and regular.

Posted by yadkintar on 11-22-2016 05:32 PM:

I have always fed purina dog chow and hunted my dogs hard I got one now that paces in the pen between that and hunting him he looks like a gutted snow bird all the time I either am going to have to add somthing to it or go to pro plan or somthing else I have wormed him gave him LA200 he is just to boney for me thinking about maybe value pack idk !!

Posted by ov_blues on 11-22-2016 05:46 PM:

I have also made the switch to Loyall dog food. I can get the Active Adult, no corn, wheat, or soy, for $25.75 for a 40 pound bag because of quantity. Nutreena makes Loyall and have a breeders club that you can join and get coupons and I have heard that they are coming up with a program to buy 9 bags and get one free. I'm also going to go back to mixing dry milk replacer in with the dog food. I've done that in the past and it worked extremely well. The cost of the milk replacer per pound is more than the price per pound of the dog food but I was able to cut the dog food amount way back by adding the milk replacer. I also used the milk replacer to get dogs to drink in the dead of winter when the water would get froze up.

Posted by wilkes1 on 11-22-2016 06:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
How much is the Victor feed running compared to the Diamond EA?

Its costing me right at 35 bucks a bag here in sc for the Victor professional 26/18. 40 lb bag. And the 30/20 hi pro plus was around $37