UKC Forums
Show all 21 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Snake Bite Vaccine (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=342992)

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 03-21-2010 12:55 AM:

Snake Bite Vaccine

I was reading on a squirrel dog board about some of the guys giving their dogs snake bite vaccine. Fortunately, here in the Land of Lincoln, we do not have poisonous snakes. But, if I lived in the South or West, I would sure look into it.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Posted by Buckshot on 03-21-2010 01:48 AM:

Illinois poisonous snake free??????

There are only four venomous snakes in Illinois: the timber rattlesnake, eastern massasauga rattle- snake, copperhead and cottonmouth.

http://www.lib.niu.edu/2000/oi001202.html

As far a dog rattlesnake shots, try this site:

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

Posted by NCBLUE on 03-21-2010 02:02 AM:

I know that website says cottonmouths in illinois but i would be hard pressed to believe that.

Posted by Buckshot on 03-21-2010 02:10 AM:

Why you think there is none........heck cottonmouths even range to MO? I have lived up in IL twice before.......You'll find cottonmouths in Southern IL like in Shawnee National Forest.

Posted by Joey Donelson on 03-21-2010 04:18 AM:

I live right across the river from Ill. & we have plenty of cottonmouths here. I believe they can swim.

Posted by Tarascon on 03-21-2010 04:22 AM:

I've seen the darn things swim!

~Tarascon Working Terriers~

GREWCH CH Corn Row Busy AWTA Veteran Earthdog CG

CH Huntmoor Reiver AWTA WCs CG

CH Tarascon Walker

GREWCH Tarascon Bailey JRTCA Bronze, AWTA Veteran, RIP my special girl.
~Bailey is the only terrier in the country to have earned the highest hunting honors in three working terrier programs~

CH Tarascon Jessie JRTCA NHC, RIP

Smoky Mountain Hillbilly AWTA WC, RIP Billy, we miss you

~and Silken Windhounds!~
~CH 'PR' WindnSatin Smoke 'n Water (Arwen)~
and
~CH 'PR' Hunters Run Cuda (Holly)~

Posted by Rex W Sims on 03-21-2010 08:20 AM:

there were 2 timber rattlers killed here in ILL. where I live last year......

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 03-21-2010 01:26 PM:

I don't live very far from Rex and I have been a very hard hunter all of my life. I have never seen a poisonous snake in the wild in my life. I live on a lake. It is full of water snakes but no cottonmouths. I have never had a dog snake bit in my life. My Curs will kill every snake they find. My hounds usually leave them alone. As it stands right now, I won't be vaccinating my dogs. But, Rex, you might want to spend the money to vaccinate yours. LOL.

LAKELAND KENNELS
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate

Posted by Lakeland Kennel on 03-21-2010 01:29 PM:

I will add that I live in Central Illinois, I am very sure Southern Illinois has some poisonous snakes.

LAKELAND KENNELS
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate

Posted by NCBLUE on 03-21-2010 02:29 PM:

cottonmouths and timber are nothing to play with. they are some of the most aggressive. and cottonmouths LOVE to swim.

Posted by Bluedogman on 03-21-2010 02:39 PM:

BTW...The vaccine offers no protection for Water moccassin / cottonmouth bites.

Posted by Joey Donelson on 03-21-2010 03:12 PM:

I was just joking about the swimming remark because I've seen plenty of them slithering through the water.

Posted by Bluedogman on 03-21-2010 03:14 PM:

They do swim. Heck they are a water snake!

Posted by Rex W Sims on 03-21-2010 03:20 PM:

I'll say this,,,not common here ..both timber rattlers I seen came off the same 80 acres.[one in Jan.when we picked up a large round bayle of hay,,he was under it..]..east Harrison st. bridge, Charleston...near the boat ramp..done some state work around mill creek state [clarksville]park..seen several over there ..more common.one year during a long hot dry spell they closed the docks at mill creek due to the timber rattlers coming down to the water and laying in the shade of the docks..12 to 15 were sited...the 2 I seen at Harrison street were 2 foot or less not to spectacular..the ones I seen at mill creek were 3and 4 foot long ..they were bad looking dudes for sure...

Posted by on 03-21-2010 03:23 PM:

I have always wondered how it is that they come up with these vaccines for dogs but they can't get them for humans. Rabies, snakebite, if they can develope a vaccine for dogs, then why not people?

Posted by chadf on 03-21-2010 04:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I have always wondered how it is that they come up with these vaccines for dogs but they can't get them for humans. Rabies, snakebite, if they can develope a vaccine for dogs, then why not people?

Jim they do have a rabies vaccine for humans. Its a vaccine not an after the bite shot. It starts with a series of 3 shots given about 2 weeks apart. If I remember correctly they were about $90. per shot and that was back in 93. after the initial series you get your blood drawn for a titer(sp) and get a booster as needed. I had my last booster in 2008 but I didn't have to pay for that one(military).

What is the snake vaccines good for? If it covers rattlers then maybe its worth the money but for copperheads and cottonmouths benadryl and antibiotics are all I've ever needed for dogs.

Posted by W Westmoreland on 03-21-2010 05:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by chadf

What is the snake vaccines good for? If it covers rattlers then maybe its worth the money but for copperheads and cottonmouths benadryl and antibiotics are all I've ever needed for dogs.

ditto on the benadryl and antibiotics, actually i've always used penicillin.
most of the time all i know is that the dog has been bit by a snake, i've never seen what kind of snake it was.

Posted by Ray Walburn on 03-22-2010 12:40 AM:

What about pigmy rattlers are they in mo.??

I forgive people but that doesn't mean I accept their behavior or trust them I forgive them 4 me, so I can let go and move on with my life

"The best revenge is massive success." #FrankSinatra

People who are INTIMIDATED by you talk bad about you with hopes that others wont find you as appealing!

You have Enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

Posted by Buckshot on 03-22-2010 12:46 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by reddogg
What about pigmy rattlers are they in mo.??

Yes:

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/snake2.htm

Posted by skyblu on 03-22-2010 05:46 AM:

Per my Vet

The Rattlesnake vaccine WILL help reduce the effects of bites from Copperheads & Water Moccaisins.

Posted by Bluedogman on 03-22-2010 10:02 AM:

Re: Per my Vet

quote:
Originally posted by skyblu
The Rattlesnake vaccine WILL help reduce the effects of bites from Copperheads & Water Moccaisins.
This is from the Vaccine Mfg's web page

"What types of snakes does this vaccine protect against?
This rattlesnake vaccine was developed to protect against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom.

Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Because of these similarities, this vaccine also provides protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. This vaccine provides partial protection against the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake.

This vaccine DOES NOT provide protection against the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snakes. Red Rock Biologics is developing a variety of vaccines to provide the best protection against poisonous snakes for dogs in each part of the country.