UKC Forums
Show all 25 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Sportmix Dog Food? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=315127)

Posted by Chris W. Baker on 11-29-2009 12:27 PM:

Sportmix Dog Food?

Anyone feeding Sportmix dog food? How do you like it compared with other feeds you have used? Which blend do you feed?
Thinking about trying it - our local feed store carries it, can get the 26/18 for about $24 for 50 lbs.

Posted by CONRAD FRYAR on 11-29-2009 01:05 PM:

Chris , My hounds like it as good as anything i have fed....( blue bag )
Some of my females are picky and they all like it..........

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Posted by blues07 on 11-29-2009 01:34 PM:

i use it and its the best dog food ive bought yet and its cheap to and surpriseingly my boyfreind likes to feed it to and we feed black

Posted by Buckshot on 11-29-2009 01:37 PM:

I had been feeding it for a couple years ago until I start seeing some good reviews on Soutern States Advanced line of feed and then tried it on a couple of the dogs.

I switched all the dogs over to Southern States Advanced Active earlier this year.

Had a local store not carrry the SS, I'd still be feeding the SportMix. I am more impressed with the SS feed over the SportMix.

Posted by Virgil on 11-29-2009 02:26 PM:

I fed it for nearly a year and it was a good feed for the price. I was paying 18$ for the 26/18.

Posted by coonhuntercp on 11-29-2009 02:29 PM:

I feed it, I like it pretty well. The dogs seem to do good on it.

Posted by J_Williams on 11-29-2009 03:24 PM:

Ive feed it for the last two years with nothing bad to say. dogs eat it well even the picky ones, plenty of energy, good stool for easy pen clean out, and a decent price. black bag in the fall winter and early spring. Green bag in the hotest part of the summer.

Posted by Dan Dogs on 11-29-2009 04:09 PM:

i feed the 24/20,and have been for the last two yrs..i have no complaints..i pay 18.00 a bag.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by Robert Johnson on 11-29-2009 04:41 PM:

feed bothe the black and blue bags. good price, and the feed is a quality feed. you will do well by feeding it.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Posted by sam kirkland on 11-30-2009 12:53 AM:

I feed the black bag. I like it as well as any I,ve tried. The dogs eat it pretty good and stay in good shape.

Posted by Gunpowder on 11-30-2009 01:56 AM:

Fed it for awhile as it was cheaper than Black Gold. stools were good but crap stank badly.

I have since switched to Kent Active Dog since it is available closer to home. It is working out well also and looks identical to Black Gold.

Posted by tmlyon on 12-01-2009 03:44 AM:

Give Hi-Standard dog food a try! Go to hi-standarddogfood.com and click on distributor and then click on your state. Better food with better price

Posted by Stokes08 on 12-01-2009 02:53 PM:

have feed it and it does very well they got some of the best puppy food around

Posted by E.Selby05 on 12-21-2009 04:16 PM:

i have fed both the 24/20(black) and the 26/18(blue) and like them both, i just like the blue bag a little better... i have used sportsmix for the past 2 years and as long as i can get it thats what i will feed.

Home of:
Chloe Michelle Selby
Emma Grace Selby

Posted by Chris W. Baker on 12-21-2009 07:03 PM:

Blue Bag

I have been using this Sportmix in the blue bag 26/18 for nearly a month. So far I seem to like it. The dogs eat it well, not alot of cleanup either. The look good, maybe not as good as they did on Purina One - but half the cost.

Posted by knpeterson on 12-21-2009 07:15 PM:

I fed the blue bag as a puppy food. I usually feed Diamond highpro but it was to large morsel size for the puppies. The sportmix blue bag is puppy size morsels and actually has higher protein than the Diamond highpro and was a dollar or two cheaper. I went back to the Diamond after the puppies, my dogs like it a little better and its easier for me to get. But I still liked the sportmix.

Posted by mossgin on 12-21-2009 09:15 PM:

im almost finished my first month on the blue bag 26/18 and my dogs look awesome and seem to have more stamina in the woods than they did before. my feist squirrel dog is the only one that doesnt seem to care for it and only eats it when she's starving for some reason. she's super picky. my english female has always been hell to keep weight on, esp. if she's hunting alot and she looks great right now on the sportmix.

'PR' Lemoine's Cajun Eli

Posted by jdw2920 on 12-22-2009 02:51 AM:

My black dog did awful on it so I had to switch and have not switched back to it but have been wanting to try the blue bag. He just didnt have energy and stayed too slim.

Posted by Chris W. Baker on 01-20-2010 01:23 PM:

Sportmix

Well after 2 months (I felt that was a long enough trial period) this is my opinion.
1. Dogs look good
2. Dogs seem to like it, eat it well.
3. not alot of stool, but stinks to high heaven, and dogs seem to have alot of gas, which also is terrible.
4. Price is now $26.30 for 50 lbs.
5. Only able to get it at the local feed store (mill), and they close before I get out of work, so can only get it Saturday before 11am, not very convenient.

My decision - back to Purina. For dogs not being hunted hard it is Dog Chow. For extreme cold weather or a dog that is put in the woods 5 nights a week, its Purina One.
I can get the 50lb bag at TSC for Just under $20.00 and then also get the weight circle points. Dog Chow may not be the best out there, but having tried several now over the past year, I am back to it.

Posted by rscott on 01-20-2010 01:37 PM:

I like it green bag when not huntn hard blue bag when i am. Would like it lot better if i could get it for eighteen dollars a bag like they said on here. I pay twenty three dollars here at feed store & i will be telling them it cheaper other places.

Posted by judson on 01-20-2010 01:44 PM:

Its great all i feed (green bag). Dont take much to keep them up. $24.00 a bag.

Posted by joseph mcdonald on 01-21-2010 05:54 PM:

Noone mentioned how much they are feeding to an average size hound. I,m not looking for coffe jar answers, i'm looking for 8. oz. measuring cups per dog per day.\
I was feeding 3.5 to 4 cups a day to 50 pound dogs in the summer time just to keep weight on them. They were all healthy and worm free. Some of the younger hounds just plain wouldnt eat it. I have fed several tons of the 26-18 and the 24-20. Alot of the batches of 26-18 varied in color and greasiness and consistency. I'm not saying its the worst feed, but definitley sub par to alot of others in the same price range. Also, hi standard would not be an upgrade. Have seen big kennels that switched to sportmix from hi standard and greatly reduced the amounts of loose and excessive stools. This is just my opinion and observations.

Posted by hillbilly56 on 01-21-2010 06:56 PM:

feed

i fed sportmix for about a year dogs ate it pretty good then they got to where they wouldnt eat all of it sometimes i would have to throw it out next day i switch to prime in in winter and active adult in summer by red flannel they eat both no left over feed lot less stool they look good and always have a lot of energy

Posted by Travis L Wilkison on 01-21-2010 07:03 PM:

i fed it for a couple years and really liked it. i used the green bag in the summer and blue bag in the winter months. i get the blue bag for $18 and the green for $16.

Home of GRNTCH What's Up Fred

Posted by Mark Willcox on 01-21-2010 07:32 PM:

I HAVE FED SPORTMIX IN THE PAST AND HAVE JUST STARTED FEEDING IT AGAIN. SUITED ME FINE BACK THEN AND IT DOESNT SEEM LIKE ITS CHANGED ANY. I LIKE IT.